Close

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Smoking in the workplace

Working in the engine room of a ship can be hazardous to health as it is. I work with 2 other engineers, the chief and the 2nd engineer. Both smokers

In the mornings in the control room. (A room
    No bigger than a car) during the morning toolbox talks, at breaks and any period of discussion I usually have to sit there in a cloud of smoke breathing all that shit in

I would imagine that offshore vessels have to abide by the rules as onshore workplaces but there is little to none I the means of enforcing it

The MCA (maritime and coastguard agency) state that

"The logical principle must surely be that smoking is not permitted anywhere on any ship unless the area has been designated by the master as an area in which smoking is permitted, in which case it will be clearly identified as such in signage. The message to all employees and passengers is then a simple one – if you cannot see a sign permitting smoking then it will be against the law for anyone to do so."

The control room does not have any signage. I have spoken to other people about this not on my vessel and they have said (coming from a smoker)

"Well as a smoker I usually will not smoke around non-smokers unless they come sit and yarn whilst I'm smoking then I see it as their choice to be around it, and I definitely would not smoke in control room if a non-smoking engineer onboard, I assumed all engineers were the same, to be honest Bryan u are well with in ur rite to ban smoking in control room if u dnt smoke, company would back u all the way.
    Even tho I smoke I can't stand people smoking whilst I eat, our night watchman just sits in galley all night smoking so when I wanna prepare food and tell him to fuck off for a bit or stop smoking he acts funny because I smoke so it shouldn't matter but to me it does..."

So others do agree with me. However, mentioning this to the other engineers they will most likely laugh in my face and tell me to fuck off and laugh in my face. If I also tell the office then it would be obvious it came from me as I'm the only non smoker....

My other course of action is to mention it to the union rep who can give the office a generic complaint from a crewmember in the fleet (20 ships in total) and see if they act on it

What are your thoughts on this? Am I right to complain or keep my mouth shut?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Smoking in the workplace

I'd probably mention it to the union rep and get a global comms sent out. If you go complaining to the engineers or to someone just directly above them, I imagine it could get pretty hostile down there. Tough one, I'd complain to fuck but probably end up making my time as an employee there a nightmare and invariably end up having to move to a different place of work.

Other alternative is take a fucking big wrench and make it so putting a cigarette in the mouth is a non-starter.

Thanks to dpSparhawk

CallmeGoose (25th January 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Dupe deleted.

Keep your mouth shut. If I recall you are not the most popular on these rigs/boats, so best to keep your head down IMO.

DJ OD

2 Thanks given to DJ OD

CallmeGoose (25th January 2015),  stevo25 (28th January 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just ask them not to smoke in such a small area in a polite way without coming across as a cunt.
    I used to smoke and would never smoke around people if they didn't smoke.

now a reformed smoker the smell is disgusting and I couldn't work like that.

I only caught a glimpse of djod post and it looked like he called you a cunt
    i came to join in and was mildly disappointed.
    Have you joined the DF discord server. https://discord.com/invite/YajVGQxDaw

3 Thanks given to Teajunkie

BigBird (7th May 2015),  CallmeGoose (25th January 2015),  piggzy (25th January 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Can't you just find where they keep the stash and hos it overboard. I'm guessing supplies will be limited and they will be fucked.
    On the other hand it may cause them to turn on the other smokers who still have some coffin nails left and then there could be mutiny and if your lucky they just wipe each other out.

You never know. My advise is try what I said and post back here if you get caught ;-)

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Overdose View Post
    Dupe deleted.

Keep your mouth shut. If I recall you are not the most popular on these rigs/boats, so best to keep your head down IMO.

DJ OD
    different ship, different time. this ship im on now is much much better.

@ piggzy - no "supply" as such. crew members bring their own stuff. we are in and out of port so often they stock up whenever we are in

Thanks to CallmeGoose

DJ OD (25th January 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CallmeGoose View Post
    different ship, different time. this ship im on now is much much better.

@ piggzy - no "supply" as such. crew members bring their own stuff. we are in and out of port so often they stock up whenever we are in

No choice then! They go overboard.

Thanks
    Karma Level

get your cock out and start having a wank when they start smoking and if they say owt, say you dont like it when they smoke around you so lets compromise no smokey no wanky.

4 Thanks given to consoles

CallmeGoose (25th January 2015),  JonEp (7th March 2015),  noname69 (9th April 2015),  Zoots (28th January 2015)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Just start smoking - problem sorted and you can fit in with your work buddies a bit more

6 Thanks given to prezzy

Bald Bouncer (25th January 2015),  BigBrand (28th January 2015),  CallmeGoose (25th January 2015),  cronus71 (8th March 2015),  Ganty (29th January 2015),  JonEp (7th March 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

What's the norm on other boats?

I've worked in a few jobs where smoking fags or even drinking alcohol on the job isn't an issue. Most jobs don't seem to like it, but I've had employers stick fags in my mouth and booze in my hand in work time before.

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

seems to be the case that people dont smoke in other engine rooms, from what Ive heard from friends on other vessels in the fleet.

Ill have a word with the union rep to see if he can pass on a generic comment in a month or so, maybe send out a global message to the fleet

Thanks
    Karma Level

Research how to fake an asthma attack and then go for it in a big way. Bit of time off work into the bargain...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Get some of these

callmeballlessgoose.jpg

Description

Know someone who needs to grow some balls? This handy starter pack is here to help! Simply drop this mini pair of testes in a tub of water and watch them expand, growing up to 600% their original size after just a couple of days. It's the perfect way to boost self-esteem, increase confidence and enjoy all the other benefits that come with growing a pair.

• Expanding pair of testicles
    • Just add water
    • Grows up to 600% of original size
    • Takes three days to reach maximum size
    • Leave to dry and they shrink
    • Can be grown again and again
    • Starting size 3.5cm wide

http://www.hawkin.com/grow-some-balls

3 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

CallmeGoose (28th January 2015),  maltloaf (28th January 2015),  prezzy (28th January 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Man up and tell them that shits disgusting and do it elsewhere, or just don't be in the same room. it's a big ship, I'm sure you can find another area to annoy people.

"That's why I fucked your bitch you fat mother fucker"

Thanks to BigBrand

CallmeGoose (28th January 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Is there anything flammable about (ever)? If so tell them a it's illegal/unlawful and b a risk with white spirits or whatever about.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I get why this is awkward, smokers at my workplace behave like disobedient children, selfish and think they are bulletproof.

Vape outside you bastards!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

So what was the outcome of this. Did you sort it some way or is it still a problem? Personally I would have asked them once in a decent reasonable manner. If they are decent and reasonable they would comply with your request. If they didn't then I would eat baked beans and sprouts that evening and throw in a few pints of lager for extra gas potential. A double dose of iron tablets will add additional flavour. I say flavour because they will be able to taste it as well as smell it. In my case that recipe would mean a decent release of foul smelling gas every few minutes the following day. If they don't like it then tell them what they told you when you asked them not to smoke. (">