Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Moving SMS & Contacts to Android from iPhone - Is there a simple software solution?

Moving SMS & Contacts to Android from iPhone - Is there a simple software solution?

After reading the "Chinese Phones" thread, due to my wanting a change of phone (and my no longer wanting to be stuck in this never ending iPhone loop). I have have gone for a Cubot X6 as I wanted dual SIM and to see how I get on with the Android OS.

I have read up on the manual options to transfer contacts, and SMS, but the threads are a couple of years old and there appears to be quite a bit of faff involved. I was wondering if there is now a simple "1 click" software solution to transfer the data from iPhone to Android?

(the iPhone isn't Jailbroke).

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Moving SMS & Contacts to Android from iPhone - Is there a simple software solutio

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...e-and-android/

One of the most annoying aspects of changing phones is ensuring all your contacts are transferred over to your new device. In the olden days, this meant manually typing in countless names and phone numbers. Today, our smartphones can do most of the work for us. This guide will focus on moving contacts from iOS to Android, but the main principles of this guide will help out with other platforms.

Transferring with Gmail and iTunes

First, you’re going to need a Gmail account, which will make moving contacts to any platform simple. If you don’t have a Gmail account, quickly sign-up for one on Gmail’s homepage. Before you even touch your new Android phone, plug your old iPhone into your computer and open iTunes. Then, find the Info tab on the menu bar at the top of the window. In the drop-down menu next to the “Sync Contacts With” box, select Google Contacts, and then type in your Gmail account information in the window which appears. This allows Gmail and Apple to update your contacts so all of the names, numbers, and emails from your phone’s contacts are now stored in your Google account.

Note: For those of you switching from Android to iPhone, simply plug in your primary phone, navigate to the Contacts page, click the Menu button, and select “Merge with Google.” Now all your phone contacts have ported over to your Gmail account.
    We suggest you then log into Gmail to modify those contacts before syncing them with your new phone. If you had a Gmail account prior to this process, you will notice your contacts list is now much larger and likely has some duplicates. If you see duplicate contacts, you may need to spend some time deleting or modifying them. It’s best to do this manually, but Google does have a “merge contacts” tool which attempts to do the same thing, it’s just not always accurate.
    If you want to give it a try, got to the “more” button with the downward arrow, located near the upper-left portion of the window while on your Gmail contacts page. The drop-down menu gives you the option to “find and merge duplicates.” Selecting this option tells Google to automatically search your contacts for duplicates.
    Transferring Contacts
    Now that you have your contacts in Gmail organized exactly how you want them, it’s time to put them on your phone. If you haven’t powered up your new phone yet, this process will be easy. When you first boot up your new phone it asks if you want to sync your phone to a Google account. Simply enter in your Gmail information and your phone automatically imports all the contacts from your account. We told you it was easy.
    However, if you couldn’t wait and already turned on your phone, but didn’t sync it with a Google account, head to the settings menu. There, you want to select the “Accounts & Sync” option which shows you every account synced with your phone. At the bottom of the page you will see a button labeled “Add Account,” where you’ll now enter your Gmail login. Once you select your Google account, it will not only sync all your contacts to your phone, but it also automatically sets up your email too.
    Note: For those switching from Android to iPhone, just hop on your new phone, enter the Settings menu, select the Mail, Contacts, Calendars tab, and then click Gmail. Enter in your Gmail login info, and your iPhone will sync with all those contacts you just moved into your Gmail account.
    Wasn’t that easy?
    With the popularity of Google’s services, namely Gmail, it’s a breeze to transfer contacts to any new phone. Not only does your Gmail account sync your contacts in Android, but also on Windows Phone 7 devices, too. We review phones all the time, and without Gmail, the process would be insanely painful. There might be other one-time use options which will get the job done, but if you are able to keep your Gmail contacts up to date, switching smartphones is a walk in the park.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...e-and-android/

Thanks to Mickey

tips (31st January 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Moving SMS & Contacts to Android from iPhone - Is there a simple software solutio

Thanks Mickey.

But I was hoping to find if there is any software that automatically can sync both the contacts and my stored SMS messages.

If not then obviously that's a nice way of moving the contacts.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't know of one for messages but there's an app for contact transfer called mcbackup that makes it easy

Sent Using Tapatalk

Thanks to littlebilly1

tips (1st February 2015)