Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Raspberry Pi 2 unleashed

Wow these things are getting pretty slick now, think i will revisit these for media streaming from my server

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/02...ry_pi_model_2/
    Turbocharged Raspberry Pi 2 unleashed: Global geekgasm likely El Reg lays claws on surprise new quad-core chipped fruity titchy-computer

2 Feb 2015 at 00:01, Lester Haines

The Raspberry Pi Foundation is likely to provoke a global geekgasm today with the surprise release of the Raspberry Pi 2 Model B: a turbocharged version of the B+ boasting a new Broadcom BCM2836 900MHz quad-core system-on-chip with 1GB of RAM – all of which will drive performance "at least 6x" that of the B+.
    Speaking to The Register last week, foundation head honcho Eben Upton said: "I think it's a usable PC now. It was always the case that you could use a Raspberry Pi 1 as a PC but you had to say 'this is a great PC in so far as it cost me 35 bucks'. We've removed the caveat that you had to be a bit forgiving with it. Now it's just good."
    The Raspberry Pi 2 Model B. Click to embiggen

Outwardly, there's little to distinguish the Pi 2 from the Pi 1 Model B+, as it's now designated.
    At its heart, though, is the BCM2836 SoC, which according to Upton has been in development for a couple of years. It's "very, very similar" to its predecessor – the BCM2835 – but with four cores and "a little tweak to allow us to address the gig of RAM," he explained.
    The BCM2835, as used in previous Pis, is a Broadcom GPU – the VideoCore IV – with a single 700MHz 32-bit ARM1176JZF-S application core glued in to run software. The system-on-chip is shipped with 256MB or 512MB of RAM stacked on top.
    The new BCM2836, on the other hand, contains four 32-bit ARMv7 Cortex-A7 cores with 1GB of RAM (and the same VideoCore IV GPU).

We've given the new BCM2836 Pi 2 a quick blast, with SPB apprentice boffin Katarina having the honour of being one of the first to lay hands on the board. It seems nippy enough but just how it measures up remains to be seen.
    Regarding the claimed 6x performance increase over the B+, Upton said: "That's one of those things where you ask 'how do you put a number on it?'"
    "If you run a multi-threaded synthetic CPU benchmark on it, they all spit out a number that's about six. That's both optimistic and pessimistic. It's optimistic because, of course, those are multi-threaded benchmarks. It's pessimistic because I don't think those synthetic benchmarks punish the [ARM processor] hard enough."
    The Broadcom BCM2836 chip in the new Pi 2. Click to embiggen

Upton, a chip architect at Broadcom, continued: "Where the ARM11 starts to fall down really, particularly with the kind of small caches we have on the BCM2835, is when it starts to run actual applications. I think we ran SunSpider [on the BCM2836] and even though that's going to be a single threaded benchmark, that was something like 3x performance just on a single core.
    "So we figured, what's a defensible number, and [six] is the number that comes out of SysBench. We just wanted to have an answer when someone asked 'Where did you come up with that?'"
    Fair enough. So, what might people do with this extra speed? Upton reckons it'll be handy "probably in the embedded makery world, for some image processing stuff."
    He elaborated: "There are a lot of people who want to do computer vision things like OpenCV. You can optimise OpenCV pretty well to run on the DSPs that are in Pi 1, but in the end there's just no substitute for just lots more CPU performance."
    Another view of the Pi 2. Click to enlarge

Quite so. Agreeably, the Pi 2 will sell at the same price as the B+ – $35 – but the latter will live on.
    Upton told us: "We've sold something like 60 or 70,000 freshly manufactured Bs since we launched the B+, because, for example, industrial customers don't want to move on. I think that although the Pi 2 and the B+ are going to be the same price, there will be a bunch of industrial customers who, for a variety of reasons, will just stick with the B+ because they're comfortable with it."
    Accordingly, the predicted manufacturing mix for this year will be 80 per cent Pi 2, and 20 per cent Pi B+, as customers gradually migrate to the faster model.

The Pi 2 goes on sale today from the usual outlets. Upton promised 100,000 units available straight away, with Sony's plant in Pencoed, South Wales, churning out more at the rate of "thousands a day".
    He said: "If it's as popular as I think it will be, I'm sure there be a little queue, but it won't be the 2012 experience where the queue was six months long."
    For geeks on a really tight budget, the $20 Pi A+ will still be available, and Upton provocatively noted "there is a slot in the name space for a Raspberry Pi 2 Model A." Such a stripped-down version boasting the BCM2836 would doubtless be a winner, although the Raspberry Pi Foundation has no immediate plans to release it.
    Our own Pi 2 is winging its way to Low Orbit Helium Assisted Navigator (LOHAN) autopilot wrangler Linus Penzlien, to assist in programming our Vulture 2 spaceplane's autopilot, and when we suggested to Upton it'd be a nice present for the German brain surgeon, he said: "I'm hoping this is a nice present for Linux gods everywhere." ®
    This article was clarified shortly after publication to make clear the new BCM2836 includes four ARM Cortex-A7 cores. RS Components, for one, has the new model in stock.

6 Thanks given to Mobileman

akimba (2nd February 2015),  Ashley (2nd February 2015),  elephantsoup (2nd February 2015),  Ginnerfreak (2nd February 2015),  piggzy (2nd February 2015),  Teajunkie (2nd February 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Raspberry Pi 2 unleashed

Disappointing the new Broadcom soc still uses same video core as the last.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've ordered one. OSMC already supports it with alpha 4 so it's a no-brainer upgrade for me.

DF Super Moderator Rick Sanchez's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

This looks perfect for my final year project, XBMC/Plex and a Home automation hub

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd love one, but I'm a geek with a family and that means no geek time

Thanks to doughboy

ant3b (3rd February 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
    I'd love one, but I'm a geek with a family and that means no geek time
    I can sympathise with this, same boat for me too, been trying to get around to playing with one of these with some z wave kit for about 6 months!

Thanks
    Karma Level

CPC still have some in stock if anyone is looking for one. £29.34 delivered.

Thanks
    Karma Level

For those that don't want to tinker with Linux apparantly the new one will run Windows 10

Source : http://www.redmondpie.com/raspberry-...s-10-for-free/
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks to EvilBoB

piggzy (4th February 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Mine arrived last night. Nothing to report as yet as I have not plugged it in.
    What I am hoping to do though is plug the SD card from my Model B+ into it and hope that it just works! Then I can set the memory for Subsonic to be higher and my Subsonic streamer will run much nicer.
    I will report back!
    I do have some friends who work on the rigs who need VPN boxes at home. Betting sites and steam are blocked on some rigs! Currently they are using a VPN I set up for them, but really they need their own.
    If I can get them set up on my other Pi's then I will invest in more version 2 for my other projects.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Squizza View Post
    Mine arrived last night. Nothing to report as yet as I have not plugged it in.
    What I am hoping to do though is plug the SD card from my Model B+ into it and hope that it just works! Then I can set the memory for Subsonic to be higher and my Subsonic streamer will run much nicer.
    I will report back!
    I do have some friends who work on the rigs who need VPN boxes at home. Betting sites and steam are blocked on some rigs! Currently they are using a VPN I set up for them, but really they need their own.
    If I can get them set up on my other Pi's then I will invest in more version 2 for my other projects.
    I thought I read somewhere on their site you can't do that, the OS has to be only for Pi 2 model B, but please do tell if it does works

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorry only just seen the reply.
    I will be doing it later, I will find the site where it said providing you do an apt-get upgrade/install first (which I have with no issues) them it should just plug and play.

I need to reconfigure my router once done for port forwarding which is the hold up for not dong it.

Thanks to Squizza

Smart86 (28th February 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ok, got round to doing this. Simply plugged in the card after updating the OS on the SD card in the old Pi, plugged it in and bingo! All good and working.
    Increased the memory on my Subsonic installation and it runs like a dream now.

Thanks to Squizza

Smart86 (11th March 2015)