Close

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Tech TP-link wdr3600 as a wifi repeater.

hi guys,

Anybody can offer any help on this i'd be grateful.

Just come back from a customers house who has had sky installed instead of Virgin. Apparently they jad a set up whereby they had a TP-link wdr3600 acting as a repeater to get wifi in an office at the end of a very long garden. This worked with the Virgin set up but it doesn't with sky.

I've tried setting up wds bridging as per the tp instructions. ( dozens of times) http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=440

I just cannot get it to pick up the broadband connection wirelessly. Driving me insane. It works ok hard wired but that's not what i need. I'm now trying it at home on my virgin broadband and still can't get it to pick up the broadband from my hub wirelessly.

Would open wrt or ddwrt be a better option ? Or am i missing something fundamental?

Ideally i'd have set up homeplugs but i believe the office is on a different ring main from the house so that won't work. It's getting to the stage where i'm thinking i'll just run 50m of cat5 up the garden.

Cheers
    MML
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: TP-link wdr3600 as a wifi repeater.

Simplest way, disable wifi in the new Sky router then set up the old Virgin router as an AP, so on the WiFi side everything is back to how it was.

If you want to setup WDS without the Virgin router I would recommend either looking up AP's that get on with the Sky router, looking up whether your AP will play ball with DDWRT or any other router, or to make life simple just specify a single vendor solution so you know it will work and you won't have to spend much time translating the config pages from one brand to the config pages of another brand

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

DD-WRT is my personal fav. If the repeater uses DD-WRT then it's all down to the strength of the source wireless as the router doesn't have to run DD-WRT. Sky routers are pretty poor but it isn't always easy to replace them as you have to use tools to get your username/pass off.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks guys.

Upgraded the stock tplink firmware and have now got it running on my VM broadband wirelessly, thank f*ck, as it was driving me insane last night. I'm assuming they must have had an old VM router not the superhub 2 that i have.

I'm going back tomorrow and will try it with their Sky router. I am sorely tempted to hardwire the office in the garden though, it's about 25 metres from the house so the wifi will probably be pants anyway if it's repeating this distance.

Thanks again for the help.

I suspect this set up has been the cause of some angst / expense for this customer. Whilst i was there she called someone (who i assume either tried to fix it or set it up initially) and he didn't want to talk to her or me. It sounded a bit heated! I think he's taken her for a bit of a ride with the set up and cost (either before Sky install or after - she wouldn't clarify). He also put in a single homeplug (non wifi) in the office but not connected to any other homeplugs.

cheers
    mml
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

Thanks
    Karma Level

hello friend I have a TP-LINK TL model WDR3600 I need it in repeater mode and can not find this option, you must update the router