Close

DF Super Moderator Rick Sanchez's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Advice Raspberry Pi 1 Solar Powered CCTV - Possible?

Hi Guys,

I'm rebuilding my motobikes which are located a mile away and I'm looking to build a cheap but effective CCTV system that has 3/4G data connection back to my server/dropbox etc on motion detection.

Is this possible?
    Domain Registration, SSL Certificates and Web Hosting - Fusionhost- 25% Discount Available On All Web Hosting Plans For DF Members - Code: DF2022

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Raspberry Pi 1 Solar Powered CCTV - Possible?

I don't know about solar powered but some IP cams can record to FTP servers (or at least they can send regular snapshots) and would be remotely accessible. Problem with using mobile sims though is the IPs are shared so you can't remote in to the camera directly, had the same problem on a job a couple of years ago where they wanted regular shots taken to turn into a video as they built a university. I set up regular emails to a gmail account from the camera which attached shots so they could be bulk downloaded by thunderbird at the end.

Thanks
    Karma Level

There are some solar panel projects out there. If you take a look here: http://www.instructables.com/id/Sola...-Raspberry-Pi/
    It recommends the model A as it is lower power. I am looking into the same thing for work and at home. Personally I would use a bigger panel/battery to ensure you have enough juice.

After that it should be fairly straight forward. Google is your friend when it comes to software etc..

2 Thanks given to Squizza

piggzy (12th February 2015),  Rick Sanchez (12th February 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    I don't know about solar powered but some IP cams can record to FTP servers (or at least they can send regular snapshots) and would be remotely accessible. Problem with using mobile sims though is the IPs are shared so you can't remote in to the camera directly, had the same problem on a job a couple of years ago where they wanted regular shots taken to turn into a video as they built a university. I set up regular emails to a gmail account from the camera which attached shots so they could be bulk downloaded by thunderbird at the end.
    Ok cool, I'll dig into that more, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Squizza View Post
    There are some solar panel projects out there. If you take a look here: http://www.instructables.com/id/Sola...-Raspberry-Pi/
    It recommends the model A as it is lower power. I am looking into the same thing for work and at home. Personally I would use a bigger panel/battery to ensure you have enough juice.

After that it should be fairly straight forward. Google is your friend when it comes to software etc..

Good call, especially when CEX have offered me £14 for my B model
    Domain Registration, SSL Certificates and Web Hosting - Fusionhost- 25% Discount Available On All Web Hosting Plans For DF Members - Code: DF2022

Thanks
    Karma Level

Might be worth having a battery backup for nighttime? http://www.robotroom.com/Solar-Recharging.html

simple solution and doesn't properly measure battery charge but should do the job.

Thanks
    Karma Level

That is what I was thinking as well! I've found a spare 12v motorbike battery that I am going to try and repurpose for this job

Thanks
    Karma Level

That link should allow the pi to run off solar when doable and trickle charge the battery with any excess. It's not a smart charger but as long as you maintain certain limits you're not going to have anything go terribly wrong.