I've been speaking to a mate who's been asked to look at improving the user experience by deploying a single desktop regardless of whether the user works from their offices or remotely, and free-up some of his time so he can concentrate less on IT and focus more on his other duties.
He's spoken to a friendly company who have verbally given him one price and then formally quoted him almost double per user per month. He's also really up against it as he's just been given the word that they are moving offices within the next 4-6 weeks so he's struggling for time to go out to the market for more pricing and deliver a solution.
His current setup consists of:-
- Server 2008 [AD / File Shares / Print]
- 12 office staff who mostly laptops but do work remotely sometimes
- 2 Remote users who VPN into the office
- Office 365
- CRM Database
- DSL Max broadband
He's been quoted for the following:-
- Setup of a virtual cloud domain controller + virtual terminal server
- Server support / maintenance / patching
- Sophos server security
- Veeam backup + replication
- Server 2012 SAL + Office 2013 Standard
- £2.5k setup and £55 per month per user [14 users]
- Onsite hardware breakfix for existing kit isn't included, neither is the CRM DB
I've never had to go shopping for hosted servers but this seems a little on the expensive side. What do everything else think please?