Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Anyone into watches?

Afternoon all,

Looking to purchase a watch for my father who turns 60 later this year.

He's not generally an advocate of watches, but does have one he wears daily, a standard Casio type thing with a glow in the dark clock face. It's used as an everyday wearer watch, so I'm looking to get him a "dress" watch for special occasions and possible engraving on the rear of it.

I want it to be wearable, and I know he's a fan of metal wrist straps over brown/black leather.

Budget is circa £300-£500, and I'd like it to be digital.

I know absolutely nothing about watches, so if anyone could drop me some names or models so I can do some research, that'd be fantastic.

TIA
    "That's why I fucked your bitch you fat mother fucker"

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Anyone into watches?

I not a big watch fan but my missus bought me a rotary self charging watch for chrim, now as I work in a factory environment I don't wear it to work but cos its self charging by time I wear it at weekend its lost it charge and the time is always wrong grrrrr

So if you are going to get a self charging/kenetic it need to be one he wears daily else will spend half the time setting the time :-(

Thanks to akimba

BigBrand (10th March 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by akimba View Post
    I not a big watch fan but my missus bought me a rotary self charging watch for chrim, now as I work in a factory environment I don't wear it to work but cos its self charging by time I wear it at weekend its lost it charge and the time is always wrong grrrrr

So if you are going to get a self charging/kenetic it need to be one he wears daily else will spend half the time setting the time :-(
    My Accurist watch of 15 years has just died - other than the kinetic "issues" what do you think of the watch. Having been eyeing up a kinetic Rotary myself so would appreciate your opinion?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I would suggest that if you are looking for a treat watch within that price bracket and the heritage and quality are important factors then look at Tissot or Hamilton. Stay away from the likes of Armani, Hugo boss and the ilk. The quality is so poor on designer name watches that most offer minimal warranty. When (and i choose the word deliberately) these low quality watches fail the resellers generally will try and tell you that the failure is not covered under warranty at all or it requires a £60 part to be fixed which is a service item. These £400-500 watches cost the designer brands between £20-30 to manufacture.

Thanks to Ginnerfreak

Thanks
    Karma Level

If digital is a prerequisite, you can't get better than a Swiss made Tissot. There are plenty in the T-touch (analogue/digital) range in your budget.
    The straps are interchangeable and most have backlit screens, compass, alarms, thermometer etc..
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks to GTI

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by flipper321 View Post
    My Accurist watch of 15 years has just died - other than the kinetic "issues" what do you think of the watch. Having been eyeing up a kinetic Rotary myself so would appreciate your opinion?
    Other than the fact I don't wear it enough to keep the correct time the watch does seem of a high quality and if u are going to wear it daily then would I have to say they are worth the money, even if some of that money goes to fund Chelski FC/Russian mafia :-S

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I thought Tissot straight away too, for digital - or part digital.

I like mechanical ones, I actually like the setting aspect and seeing how well they keep time. I've got one in particular (not silly money) with a fantastic ETA movement 2896. It's a make that watch people would know but not that well known in general. Glycine Incursore Big Date is the model.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks to beansontoast

Thanks
    Karma Level

I prefer, analogue rather than digital. Which when i last bought a watch pushed me to looking a t Seiko Stainless steel watch, chrono with solar. Always liked Seiko as a budget quality brand

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by akimba View Post

You know you can get watch winder boxes, that will move the watch to keep it charged -
    http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Wat...82/subcat.html

That was just the 1st link I could get to at work, sure they will be some cheap on eBay etc.

oE.

Thanks to oE

akimba (11th March 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I know you wanted a digital watch, however have you considered a Birth Year Watch. I would suggest an Omega which you should be able to date correctly. You will need to see the watch movement and check that the face has not been refinished etc and that the crown is original as an example.

For the money mentioned you should get a nice example.

Happy to help further if you need any assistance.

B