Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Question Any user of an Outlook replacement (Thunderbird, Zimbra, Claws, eM Client or Pegasus)

Looking at getting a stable Outlook alternative and stumbled across many pieces of info and short listed to these
    1. Pegasus Mail
    2. eM Client
    3. Claws Mail
    4. Zimbra Desktop
    5. Thunderbird

I wonder if anyone here uses any one (or oddly more than one) and have some pointers/advice and views?

I have several Hotmail accounts and Gmail accounts. I do not want to connect these, but appreciate the ability to just look no mass at these in one go. I note some of the above clients can even sync google calendars and social media like twitter and facebook.

Perhaps you have a further alternative to suggest.

Cheers……Q

Awaiting Email Confirm silversmith's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Any user of an Outlook replacement (Thunderbird, Zimbra, Claws, eM Client or Pega

A few publishing houses I work with that have a Google solution to their office use Thunderbird, it is the best of the rest IMO. If you can afford it then Office 365 could be the way forward for you if you cannot cut the Microsoft umbilical cord just yet.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Any user of an Outlook replacement (Thunderbird, Zimbra, Claws, eM Client or Pega

Quote Originally Posted by silversmith View Post
    A few publishing houses I work with that have a Google solution to their office use Thunderbird, it is the best of the rest IMO. If you can afford it then Office 365 could be the way forward for you if you cannot cut the Microsoft umbilical cord just yet.
    Oh, I am happy to cut the cord. This is not in conjunction with the other post. This is for moi!

Any more for any more?

Cheers......Q

Thanks
    Karma Level

Personally have found thunderbird to be crap.... maybe I was unlucky but it stopped getting emails and despite all settings being 100% correct I could not solve it..
    I could install another email proggy side by side same settings and was fine and from what I could gather in Google loads of others having same issues,
    even uninstalling and re installing did not fix it, it needed a windows wipe so some registry setting issue I guess

Also Mozilla have stopped development on it last year other than security updates so no new features for you !!!

Edit: quick check they actually stopped dev on it July 2012, but in 2013 handed it over to the Open Source community so any features would come from there

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

In situations where my customers have been using Outlook express (even though support ended agesss ago) or they are using Windows Live Mail and they have no need to purchase Outlook I just install Thunderbird. Haven't tried the others you listed but Thunderbird is good if you don't use any of the advanced features of Outlook. I have only used it for normal email/contacts but there are probably a lot of features you can install through the add-ons feature. Good online community support for Thunderbird too.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I am a spamming bag o shite
    Last edited by blaggard; 24th June 2014 at 12:19 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

And the survey said.....

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've used 2003-13 with Windows for years but felt the need to change. I've used thunderbird with win 8 and it was simply just ok. The formatting looks shit in outlook and i never managed to get it right. There were some cool add ons for thunderbird though. I went back to Outlook, but now im testing KMail on linux mint kde and it seems better than thunderbird but isnt available for Windows. So.. If sticking with Windows, then thunderbird is the way forward.

Thanks
    Karma Level

To each his own I guess. Only ones I have experience with is Zimbra and Thunderbird.
    For those of you who still want to sync this with Outlook (maybe due to work?) I can suggest syncing these with an Outlook add-in called EVO Collaborator for Outlook.

Here is a blogpost / setup guide for doing this with Zimbra

http://outlookandmacosxserver.blogsp...ud-zimbra.html

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the post, check out your welcome PM and post an intro to tell the forum know a bit about you.