Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Cubot X9 - Yes or No?

Hey,

Apple user here and my 4s is on it's last legs.
    I am not going to invest in an iPhone 6 right now as it is inevitable that in September the 6s / 7 will be released. I know this is always the case but if I get one on the day of release then it softens the blow when the next one comes out.

So as a stop gap, and what would be two months contract if I was on contract, I could get a Cubot X9.
    It looks very good for the money. Yes it lacks 4G but so does my 4S.

Things I will miss are Apple Photo Stream and possibly Facetime. But I can live with that...

The price is right for me, I do not want to spend £150, £200, £300 on what some might say is a 'proper' Android device, this would purely be a stop gap.

The question remains then, does anyone have one or know of anyone with one? They are are going for about £87 from Gearbest... Do I or do I live with my dying 4s until it does die?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Cubot X9 - Yes or No?

I'm same boat as you mate and personally don't want to pay £600 for a phone either.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I like the look of these - I've got an X6 currently and it's been fine other than the screen touchpad being a bit wonky at the bottom right but it was a common fault on the X6 - other than that it's bang on.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I emailed the Cubot guys to ask about Lollipop - The response was:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Sorry to reply you late, thanks for your patience and honorable manners.

Sorry that X9 is not compatible with Lollipop. Any more news you can keep an eye on our officialwebsite :www.cubot.net

Thanks and best regards
    Now, part of me thinks this might be a broken English reply. Replying to the question 'Does this come with Lollipop?' rather than 'Can it be upgraded to Lollipop'...

Going to do some Google searching to see if anyone has done it or if it can actually be done.

The other question is, what do I lose in Lollipop if it is not compatible? The first/only Android I ever had was the HTC Magic, this was back when they had the little track balls.
    I moved onto iPhone after that and have never gone back..

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ok so with the X6 the first versions didn't get an official 4.4 upgrade but the newer models did.

Basically they changed the camera sensor three times during the X6s life and only the last one works on 4.4

I've got hacked 4.4 on my X6 and everything works except for the rear camera - which tbh I'm not fussed about at all as I use another phone for that.

In theory if they ever did do a 5.0 version then you may hit the same problems down the road.

If you do want Lollipop it may be worth picking another up that does work as Cubot basically weren't bothered about sorting out the older versions of the X6.

Thanks to reverend

Squizza (26th March 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

You'll end up buying this shit piece of hardware and then think Android is shit. I'd rather pickup a moto G 2nd Gen for £140. A bit more, but a whole lot more of a polished device. If you want an entry level device, that's the one. Failing that... live with the iphone. As the iphone has shit battery life anyway, I can only imagine how bad your 4 is now.

Thanks to Geko

littlebilly1 (26th March 2015)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I was in the same situation, I was looking at the x9 but in the end punted on a g3, to tide you over I'd say get either an s3, or for slightly more money an s4 mini or an LG g2

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Got the Cubot x9 for the missis.

Wiped it. Put google launcher on.

Brightness is set on half.

And its the same speed as my S5 (general use). Absolute bargain for the price.

Fantastic build quality.

Heres a vid of general usage. Not the best vid lol. But shows it doesn't lag.

P.s. where it seems like i double tap, thats me missing the icon.not the screen performing poorly. Its hard watching your finger through another phone lol

http://youtu.be/sG8RQIDxWXU
    Last edited by jw_2000_uk; 27th March 2015 at 09:21 PM.

3 Thanks given to jw_2000_uk

littlebilly1 (27th March 2015),  reverend (27th March 2015),  Squizza (28th March 2015)