Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Info BMW Coding - NCSExpert Thread

I am hoping to fill this thread later. This is intended to be the thread to help people get setup with NCSExpert as this can be a real nuisance. If it attracts interest I will later divide it into threads with settings for various chassis.

For now I will be replying to beerman's post in the general coding thread.

Have you setup all of Standard Tools? If so which version?

Which interface are you using? Are relevant drivers loaded (if it is USB)?

Have you tested the interface and installation using INPA yet?

Have you found a recent copy of the daten files?

Have you imported them correctly (can be done by hand but easiest using BMW Coding Tool)?

Have you downloaded NCSDummy (makes life a million times easier)

Have you downloaded or created an "Expert Mode" profile (often called Revtors Profile)?

Sorry before I thought I would start I thought I would check the preliminary steps.
    Last edited by Over Carl; 8th April 2015 at 12:44 AM.

2 Thanks given to Over Carl

Oily (8th April 2015),  Warno (9th April 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: BMW Coding - NCSExpert Thread

*Reserved*

Once the first post is actually completed, I will move the post above down here.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers oc I'll update as soon as I'm back at my laptop. As oily said it's a bit of a minefield. I remember grabbing 3.10 but others have said grab 3.08. Then I saw someone saying version 4 is available. Do you have any links to the software you use.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nice one oc, never used this so will be interesting.
    Lots of my repairs and pictures of retro stuff on my twitter.

https://twitter.com/Big_ted1?t=s9zEZ...Z-npEyeKA&s=09

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Right, I've created an XP VM and loaded NCSexpert in it and I get an error when trying to load ncsexpert, can't find api.dll.

Back to trawling the net for a different version.
    The version I had was ncs dummy 0.2.1 with NCSexpert 3.10, it was supposed to be an all in one tool with english translation files and the Daten files for all models (not sure how up to date they were).

I need the files for my 330d e92 and if available my friends M3 e92 as I think they are different (again I'm not really sure).

Thanks
    Karma Level

Do you have BMW Standard Tools or INPA? If so you need to install Std Tools first as this installs EDIABAS which interprets commands from the diagnostic sw and passes it on to the interface. I recommend Standard Tools 2.12 if you can find it.

If you haven't got Std Tools loaded, none of the rest will work. When you install Std Tools, set it up to use USB:ODB, and make sure to include at least NCSExpert and INPA. INPA serves as a very handy check all is working (and is handy for other jobs). The version of NCSExpert you probably have I'm guessing may be a hacked executable which replaces the original NCSExpert.

Latest datens aren't always important, but if they are too old they won't work with NCS, and also if the car had been updated to a newer version than your datens, you also will be out of luck. Late 3x.xx or even 4x.xx / 5x.xx should do nice.
    Last edited by Over Carl; 8th April 2015 at 10:56 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I have all the tools and I think I have the latest daten files (v49). NCS dummy is working (forgot to install dot net in the VM) but now I need some help

I found this: http://codinge90.com/activate-closin...h-your-key-fob which says I need to mod the cas module. When I load up NCS Dummy there are 5 options, cas2.c05, cas3.c06, cas3.c07, cas3.c08, cas3.c09.

Looking through the options for all 5 they look identical so which cas module would I need to read?

Same with the kombi module needed for turning on the digital speed:http://codinge90.com/activating-bc-digital-velocity/
    there are 5 kombi modules to read.

This one also looks interesting as I drove to Birmingham on Friday and forgot to fill up before I went and had to come off the motorway as I am too tight to pay for fuel at the services on the motorway : http://codinge90.com/activate-fuel-s...oute-guidance/

Thanks to beerman

AKUO (10th June 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

The basic way we work is to use NCSExpert to connect to the car and read the Vehicle Order from either your CAS (immobiliser) or FRM/NFRM (Footwell Module). The VO is a list of all the various options your car has got fitted. Then we connect to the module concerned (which is your case will be CAS - Immobiliser and KOMBI - instrument panel), and pull out a file with all the various coding settings for that particular module

We can manipulate this file by hand, but it is much more easy to do with NCSDummy. Once we have modified the required settings in the file, we then use NCSExpert to send this modified settings file back to the control unit. After this the control unit normally resets and applies the updated settings. In most cases, if you do make changes and you wish to revert back to normal, sending a blank settings file to the control unit makes the software consider all the relevant options in the VO and apply the correct "factory default" settings back to the car.

So as long as we only modify parameters in an individual ECU (as done using NCSDummy), we can very easily revert back to stock settings. However if the vehicle was to be programmed by the dealership, it would loose these customised settings. There is another method to actually change the VO to make permanent changes to the vehicle, but this method only allows tweaks that the dealers can modify, for instance I am not aware of a VO code that enables the digital speed display.

Now, you have realised that there are different versions for the CAS listed in NCSDummy, these will be for different hardware/software versions. When you actually connect to the controller, it will state which particular version of the CAS it is, so we know to use the same version in NCSDummy. If you select different versions, normally it will not match up and all the options will be greyed out.

I will come back a little later with the actual procedure with NCSExpert to make the changes.
    Last edited by Over Carl; 13th April 2015 at 05:45 PM.

2 Thanks given to Over Carl

beerman (14th April 2015),  BIG-TED (13th April 2015)