Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: A British child has died in a skiing accident in the French Alps

Quote Originally Posted by hxbro View Post
    you can spot the non skiers in this thread, it doesn't take much skiing at 30km/h to be quite some distance away within a minute or two on a mountain from someone who has stopped to help your other child, with a helmet on you might not hear someone shouting to you to stop too.

The poor kid obviously did stop as he took his skis off but unfortunately went to look over the side of the mountain as adventurous 7 year olds would, he probably slipped and the rest is reported as sensationalist headlines missing half the facts for people to be judgemental on.
    That's why I mentioned cornices in my post, most seasoned mountaineers (and I'll include serious off piste people in that) know you don't walk towards a snowy cliff edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    What a ridiculous comment. I assume you are trolling, otherwise you are in no position to comment on gene pool Or intelligence
    I hope my further comment above helps clarify - if the kid was of the standard to go off piste to sections like that then I stand by my comment, he broke one of the major rules around cliffs and snow - one that cost my dad his best mate (and yes my dad would admit it was his fault and he was a foolish prick).

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post

I hope my further comment above helps clarify - if the kid was of the standard to go off piste to sections like that then I stand by my comment, he broke one of the major rules around cliffs and snow - one that cost my dad his best mate (and yes my dad would admit it was his fault and he was a foolish prick).

I don't think he meant to go off piste.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    I don't think he meant to go off piste.
    What are you basing that on?

My guess would be he thought yes I have freedom and paid the ultimate price for his foolishness. Kid had taken his skis off and felt a bit adventurous near the edge and fucked up.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BertRoot View Post
    What are you basing that on?

My guess would be he thought yes I have freedom and paid the ultimate price for his foolishness. Kid had taken his skis off and felt a bit adventurous near the edge and fucked up.
    Like yourself I am just making assumptions. I thought that is what we did in this thread.

Thanks to Geko

BertRoot (16th April 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

If he went off piste by mistake he'd most likely walk back the way he came rather than towards a cliff edge surely?

Thanks
    Karma Level

If he went off piste by mistake he'd most likely walk back the way he came rather than towards a cliff edge surely?

So if he did it on purpose, he'd walk off the edge of the cliff? Is this some new extreme sport?

Thanks
    Karma Level

you ski'd?

its easily done mate. i crashed on a black this year, didnt even realise i had gone off piste until the snow was at my ankles and i couldnt turn properly.

easy to make mistakes, unfortunately.

Thanks to Zippeyrude

piggzy (17th April 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zippeyrude View Post
    you ski'd?

its easily done mate. i crashed on a black this year, didnt even realise i had gone off piste until the snow was at my ankles and i couldnt turn properly.

easy to make mistakes, unfortunately.
    for over 20 years (and worked in the business for several years) - I think there may be differences being used in off piste and "off piste" a lot of people will class cutting between runs as off piste (which technically it is), to others it's areas where you're likely to maybe have one other group follow that route all day. The latter are the ones more likely to include cliffs nearby, most pisted areas try to keep pistes away from natural hazards as much as possible to prevent accidents like this and like you mention Zippey where you accidentally stray a little.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12