Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News A British child has died in a skiing accident in the French Alps

Carwyn was on holiday with his family when he asked to ski alone on the final run of the day A seven-year-old boy who fell to his death on a skiing holiday in the French Alps has been named locally as Carwyn Scott-Howell from the village of Talybont-on-Usk, near Brecon.

Carwyn was on holiday with his family when he is believed to have asked to ski alone on the final run of the day.
    French police said he fell 160ft (49m) to his death after leaving the piste.
    The Foreign Office said the accident happened in Flaine, 38 miles north west of Chamonix, on Friday.

The family run a small farm and rent out a number of luxury holiday cottages.
    Relatives, who were looking after guests and tending the animals while the family was away, were too upset to speak.

'Judicial inquiry'

Carwyn was reported missing at 16:30 local time and his body was found at the bottom of a 100-metre cliff at 19:00 local time.
    Michel Ollagnon, police commander for the nearby town of Bonneville, said the boy fell after apparently losing his way.
    He had been skiing with his mother, brother and sister.
    Mr Ollagnon told the BBC: "It seems as if the boy did the last piste descent of the day on his own after asking his parents' permission.
    "He appears to have become lost before falling over the edge of the cliff after taking his skis off.

"A helicopter was deployed in the search before his body was recovered.
    "A judicial inquiry into what happened has begun."
    The Foreign Office said it was providing consular assistance to the family.

BBC News
    Last edited by Teajunkie; 12th April 2015 at 02:06 PM.
    Have you joined the DF discord server. https://discord.com/invite/YajVGQxDaw

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Alps skiing death boy is named

Fucking idiot mother. Seven years old and let go on his own. Halftard.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: A British child has died in a skiing accident in the French Alps

I don't let my 7 yr old past my driveway boundary.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Exactly. Wonder if they will get away with it like the McCanns. Doubt it somehow.

Thanks to BertRoot

Clubber Lang (15th April 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

i bet the parents will be suffering with their poor decision. every day for the rest of their lives.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Suffer they should. Neglect and the child is the ultimate loser. I hope he didnt suffer too much.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    Suffer they should. Neglect and the child is the ultimate loser. I hope he didnt suffer too much.
    maybe, everyone makes mistakes, and they paid dearly for this one.

its easy to throw stones.

2 Thanks given to Zippeyrude

consoles (12th April 2015),  GTI (12th April 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

No stones thrown here. Purely an observation. No child of seven is capable of looking after themselves in a situation like this one. The only person culpable here is the one who let him go, sadly to his death, but neglect should not go ignored.

Thanks to BertRoot

piggzy (12th April 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BertRoot View Post
    No stones thrown here. Purely an observation. No child of seven is capable of looking after themselves in a situation like this one. The only person culpable here is the one who let him go, sadly to his death, but neglect should not go ignored.
    Agreed!

Some parents seem to treat material items with more care than their own children.

Any responsible parent would not allow their 7 year old too far on their own, another piece of lazy parenting which unfortunately has ended up as a tragedy.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zippeyrude View Post
    maybe, everyone makes mistakes, and they paid dearly for this one.

its easy to throw stones.

It's always easy to throw stones but sometimes I wonder what is between these peoples ears. I know personally of someone who's child was crushed by a falling tree.
    I have sympathy for them but I always have at the back of my mind the weather warnings that were issued that day of violent "hurricane style winds" but they still went for a walk in the woods.
    Poor choice ? Maybe! I don't think they are bad people at all. Choices I would make differently and as a result I have formed opinions and think parents are the sole responsible people for protecting their children.

We can all have differing opinions on this subject and may disagree but surely this could have been avoided ?!?!?

That is probably my only point. Agreed we don't know the full story, but there is no way in hell I would let a 7 year old out of my sight for long enough for that to happen .. ( I know, never say never )

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BertRoot View Post
    Exactly. Wonder if they will get away with it like the McCanns. Doubt it somehow.
    I think they will get away with it. They rent out a number of luxury holiday homes and the kid has a double barrel surname.
    If they were on the dole/Jeremy Kyle material they would be hung out to dry.

Thanks to Mr 250

Over Carl (13th April 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

A real shame. So many parents I know allow their kids to do things that they shouldn't be doing when so young and come out with the cliche 'They're a very clever lad' etc. as though that will make them immune from accidents or bad judgement.

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Tribute to Alps skiing death boy

Carwyn was on holiday with his family The family of a seven-year-old boy who fell to his death on a skiing holiday in the French Alps have described him as a "daring, outgoing, determined little boy".
    Carwyn Scott-Howell was on holiday with family when police say he fell 160ft (49m) after straying off the piste.
    In a statement his family said he was a "very competent skier and snowboarder".
    His family said they were skiing together when Carwyn's sister "lost her ski on a jump" and Carwyn skied ahead.
    The Foreign Office said the accident happened in Flaine, 38 miles north west of Chamonix, on Friday.

BBC News

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

7 Yrs old what the fuck. My 9 year old daughter cant go anywhere passed the garden gate unless i`m watching her cross the road to her friends down the road. I am sorry but the parents need doing for neglect or something. I cant imagine the state of affairs the parents are going through.

This is just wrong. I hope the child did not suffer

Thanks to Mickey

ant3b (16th April 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

People are very judgemental in this thread. There are 1000s of young kids allowed a bit of freedom, every day. Most are unscathed. This is the minority case, which is why it's all over the news...!

I am also very protective of my 7 year old and wouldn't let him out of my sight either. But... There is a voice in the back of my mind that wonders if I am creating a world full of fear for my son.

3 Thanks given to Geko

4me2 (13th April 2015),  ant3b (16th April 2015),  GTI (13th April 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    People are very judgemental in this thread. There are 1000s of young kids allowed a bit of freedom, every day. Most are unscathed. This is the minority case, which is why it's all over the news...!

I am also very protective of my 7 year old and wouldn't let him out of my sight either. But... There is a voice in the back of my mind that wonders if I am creating a world full of fear for my son.
    Anyone with young boys will know just how hard it is to keep them out of danger. I have a 2 and 4 year old and my main preoccupation is trying to stop them from killing themselves.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

2 Thanks given to GTI

ant3b (16th April 2015),  Bald Bouncer (13th April 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post

I agree, it's a fine line between molly coddling kids and giving them too much slack, but it's about context: letting my little lad go to the shop on his own was a major step in 'responsibility' as far as he and I were concerned but I still kept an eye out on him out the window.... however good this lad was at skiing etc. I wouldn't let him out my site on a big hill covered in snow.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Darwinism - maybe the child wasn't that sharp or the parents weren't, but same gene pool.

At the age of 7 I could use a map and compass and was well aware of cornices, had been up Ben Nevis (which frankly is just an uphill walk) and more challenging things in the lake/Peak District.

Better off without parents that can't make smart decisions and kids that make excessively risky ones genes being spread.

Thanks
    Karma Level

you can spot the non skiers in this thread, it doesn't take much skiing at 30km/h to be quite some distance away within a minute or two on a mountain from someone who has stopped to help your other child, with a helmet on you might not hear someone shouting to you to stop too.

The poor kid obviously did stop as he took his skis off but unfortunately went to look over the side of the mountain as adventurous 7 year olds would, he probably slipped and the rest is reported as sensationalist headlines missing half the facts for people to be judgemental on.

2 Thanks given to hxbro

ant3b (16th April 2015),  GTI (14th April 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
    Darwinism - maybe the child wasn't that sharp or the parents weren't, but same gene pool.

At the age of 7 I could use a map and compass and was well aware of cornices, had been up Ben Nevis (which frankly is just an uphill walk) and more challenging things in the lake/Peak District.

Better off without parents that can't make smart decisions and kids that make excessively risky ones genes being spread.

What a ridiculous comment. I assume you are trolling, otherwise you are in no position to comment on gene pool or intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by burner1 View Post
    I agree, it's a fine line between molly coddling kids and giving them too much slack, but it's about context: letting my little lad go to the shop on his own was a major step in 'responsibility' as far as he and I were concerned but I still kept an eye out on him out the window.... however good this lad was at skiing etc. I wouldn't let him out my site on a big hill covered in snow.

I've seen 3 year olds flying down the mountain. It's relative. To you ski-ing is a difficult task, to some kids it's no different than riding a bike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast