Close

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    DF VIP Member MartinC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    100
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked:        40
    Karma Level
    48

    Default Servers, Virtualization and Hypervisors

    I was going to post a discussion between hypervisors like hyper v and VMware's Workstation, but I am not quite sure which section this would go in, and then thought you have plenty of sections about the client OS, and none on Servers or Virtualization, is the cause there is no need or not enough use to warrant it, or is it just no one has brought it up before?

    What are the chances that such s section(s) might be an option?

    Martin

    Thanks to MartinC

    evilsatan (15th April 2015) 


  2. #2
    DF Super Moderator
    evilsatan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    19,971
    Thanks
    1,096
    Thanked:        3,199
    Karma Level
    1540

    Default Re: Servers, Virtualization and Hypervisors

    I think with the growing popularity of microservers it would be a good idea to have a server section for members to discuss what they have accomplished as well as help others. I am mid-build of my new microserver, just sorting out an HP P222 RAID controller for it then I will be trying ESXi for the first time.


  3. #3
    DF Super Moderator Teajunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    3,742
    Thanks
    1,617
    Thanked:        1,590
    Karma Level
    493

    Default Re: Servers, Virtualization and Hypervisors

    If there will be easy to follow guides I'm well up for that

    i dont know know the first thing about all that esxi or hypervisors???
    i run a simple xpenology microserver and would love to know more about different options and setups.
    Find me on Instagram and twitter @mrteajunke.

  4. #4
    DF Jedi Ashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,983
    Thanks
    3,248
    Thanked:        470
    Karma Level
    259

    Default Re: Servers, Virtualization and Hypervisors

    Can someone tell me what a hyper visor and all this stuff is and does? I thought it was a post about Star Trek from the tapastalk preview [emoji15]


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    DF VIP Member MartinC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    100
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked:        40
    Karma Level
    48

    Default Re: Servers, Virtualization and Hypervisors

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    Can someone tell me what a hyper visor and all this stuff is and does? I thought it was a post about Star Trek from the tapastalk preview [emoji15]


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A Hypervisor is used for virtualisation, there are 2 types, type 1 is used in place of an Operating system, and a type 2 install on an existing operating system. type 1 is far better for control and management, and by far is better use of the hardware, but sometimes it is more convenient to use a type 2, and not all hardware will support type 1.

    Once you have your Hypervisor you can then create virtual machines (VM's) to install in most cases most types of operating systems, that share the hardware the Hypervisor is installed on.

    Very common for business to use for making use of all the hardware in a specific server and also major benefits for resilience and management.

    Hope that helps explain, more than happy to answer any questions you have, and also more than happy to help with looking after the section on the forum related to this.

    Martin

    Thanks to MartinC

    Ashley (15th April 2015) 


  6. #6
    DF Jedi Ashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,983
    Thanks
    3,248
    Thanked:        470
    Karma Level
    259

    Default Re: Servers, Virtualization and Hypervisors

    Quote Originally Posted by MartinC View Post
    A Hypervisor is used for virtualisation, there are 2 types, type 1 is used in place of an Operating system, and a type 2 install on an existing operating system. type 1 is far better for control and management, and by far is better use of the hardware, but sometimes it is more convenient to use a type 2, and not all hardware will support type 1.

    Once you have your Hypervisor you can then create virtual machines (VM's) to install in most cases most types of operating systems, that share the hardware the Hypervisor is installed on.

    Very common for business to use for making use of all the hardware in a specific server and also major benefits for resilience and management.

    Hope that helps explain, more than happy to answer any questions you have, and also more than happy to help with looking after the section on the forum related to this.

    Martin
    Thank you for the explanation, I use VMware on my Mac to run windows, is this just the same but more aimed at system admins and such?




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    DF VIP Member MartinC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    100
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked:        40
    Karma Level
    48

    Default Re: Servers, Virtualization and Hypervisors

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    Thank you for the explanation, I use VMware on my Mac to run windows, is this just the same but more aimed at system admins and such?




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The vmware software your talking about is called fusion I believe, I have to be honest I
    know very little about Apple MAC's but this is a type 2 hypervisor as it is installed on an existing operating system (what ever that is called on a MAC).

    They are not always related to business, it can be used just like in your situation a way to use a different operating system on an existing computer/laptop cause something's will not work on both or you have a preference to one over the other.

    Developers or even a geek who wants play with different operating systems but don't have access or money to get more different hardware to run the various operating systems.

    I hope that answers your question.

    martin

    Thanks to MartinC

    Ashley (15th April 2015) 


  8. #8
    DF Jedi Ashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,983
    Thanks
    3,248
    Thanked:        470
    Karma Level
    259

    Default Re: Servers, Virtualization and Hypervisors

    Cheers Martin that's great. I might have a play with it on my old microserver


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20th January 2014, 08:47 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 4th July 2010, 07:11 AM
  3. Video Memory Virtualization - A Brief Guide
    By DF Bot in forum Windows 7 Tutorials
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 4th June 2010, 06:20 PM
  4. Wyse Offers Desktop Virtualization for the IPhone
    By 4me2 in forum Apple Mobile Devices
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 2nd September 2009, 09:45 AM
  5. BT's DNS Servers
    By pisshead in forum DSL or Cable Broadband, Networking & Wireless
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27th June 2003, 09:09 PM

Social Networking Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •