Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Snooper "My Speed" devices

BEWARE!!!!!!!!!! the snooper my speed devices have data bases in them that are way out of date,I was told by snooper that they were updated as of the second quarter of last year (2014), I have found 3 roads in my location alone where the "My Speed" devices and the "My Speed" in the sat nav units are incorrect ( the Road Angel devices also show incorrect speed data) one road had the speed reduced from 60 mph to 50 mph 5 years ago the my speed is still showing 60 mph. How many more roads throughout the country have incorrect speed limit data in these devices, and they claim to protect your license??????? "not fit for purpose springs to mind"

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Snooper "My Speed" devices

Protecting your licence is easy... just stick to the speed limit which is clearly signposted on the roadside rather than relying on gadgets that encourage you to break the law. Apart from protecting your licence you have less risk of being responsible for someone's premature death. (">

Thanks
    Karma Level

I like to speed, I'm a cunt like that. #YOLO
    "That's why I fucked your bitch you fat mother fucker"

Thanks to BigBrand

BigBird (22nd April 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Eh Big Bird I did not say the devices were for breaking the law, what the devices do is warn you by there settings if you inadvertantly creep over the speed limit of the road you are driving on but if the data base is wrong then you can go over the speed limit without noticing then if one of the boys in blue is pointing a radar gun at you, 3 points on your licence and a nice fine.
    Don't say that you should be watching for speed limit signs, I know of minor roads that do not have sped limit signs when turning onto another road, if the device that you are using is showing a speed limit of 40mph but in fact the road has a 30mph limit on it the boys in blue do not take "well my device was showing 40 mph" as an answer for breaking the speed limit.

Thanks to rcpilot

BigBrand (22nd April 2015)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I just prefer to rely on road markings, road signs and my own common sense. By highlighting that these gadgets cant be trusted you are supporting my view that everyone should be doing the same if they value their licence. The judge awarding you three points for speeding will probably tell you the same thing. (">

Thanks
    Karma Level

As I said what happens if there are no road signs? I would much rather prefer to watch the road, traffic, pedestrians etc when i am driving and rely on a device to tell me what the speed limit is and when I am driving over it so that I can adjust my speed to suit, so the device has to be accurate, in the time it takes to glance down and look at the speedo you car travelling at even 30 mph can have travelled enough distance to hit someone if they have wandered into the road and children do that.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Maybe its me that's getting old because every time I glance at the speedo I am almost always below the speed limit so I don't need any gadgets to remind me of my speed. I agree that if you buy a gadget to remind you of your speed then it should be suitable for that purpose. Roads are continuously being downrated with regard to speed as more and more houses are being built along them. Unfortunately, like satnav systems it usually relies on updated information from the public, and if that isn't supplied or implemented then you will be at risk of getting a ticket. (">

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by rcpilot View Post
    Don't say that you should be watching for speed limit signs, I know of minor roads that do not have sped limit signs when turning onto another road,

speed signs are only at the start of a road if the speed limit is different from the one you have just left. If you dont know the speed limit then you only need to look and see if there are street lights. if so it is a 30 mph road unless there are speed signs that will be repeated telling you otherwise.
    bbshark. The Member with the first ever DF Fine

http://digital-forums.com/showthread.php?t=451657

Thanks to bbshark

BigBird (23rd April 2015)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The driver who faces a £60 speeding fine...for failing to measure the gaps between lampposts

A motorist has been given a £60 speeding ticket for failing to spot the distance between roadside lampposts.
    Ian Thomas, 44, was caught on camera travelling at 40mph in a 30mph zone but he says there was no 30mph sign.
    The previous signs he saw all showed a limit of 40mph.
    However, under a little-known section of the motoring laws, a road is classified as having a 30mph limit if there are no other speed signs and the street lights are no more than 200 yards apart.

Full story here

He should have bought himself a Snooper speed alert system... On second thoughts forget that, they cant be trusted either. So its back to the highway code and the common sense to err on the side of caution if in any doubt. (">

Thanks to BigBird

bbshark (24th April 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I went out tonight and drove 45 in a 30. Because I'm a fucking bad ass. I could have killed someone. Crazy.

Thanks to BigBrand

BigBird (24th April 2015)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrand View Post
    I went out tonight and drove 45 in a 30. Because I'm a fucking bad ass. I could have killed someone. Crazy.
    LOL. I bet there are a few that have done and said the same thing except they didn't need to include the words 'could' and 'have'. (">

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBird View Post
    LOL. I bet there are a few that have done and said the same thing except they didn't need to include the words 'could' and 'have'. (">
    I don't care about anyone else, pedal TO THE METAL!

WHHHOOOP TISH!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrand View Post
    I don't care about anyone else, pedal TO THE METAL!

WHHHOOOP TISH!
    I save my speed thrills for when I'm out on the jetski these days. 270 bhp, 0-70 in 3 seconds. Much safer than being on the roads. The worst that can happen is that you flip it coming down off a wave, knocking yourself out in the process, and drown. (">

Thanks
    Karma Level

The street lights are on roads where there are houses etc, I could be wrong here but what if there were no houses on one side and no street lights on that side of the road would the speed limit still be 30mph? anyhow as stated the distance between the street lights has to be 200 yds or less, who can judge with accuracy to say the speed limit is more than 30mph, so the only way to be sure is where ever there are street lights drive at 30mph, but any company marketing speed alert systems ( not speed camera alert systems) must make sure their data bases are upto date and accurate otherwise "not fit for purpose" comes into play.
    I bought a road angel a while back but that went back for the same reason, however what it could do was mark the road in question with the new speed limit and it becomes an upload to the manufacturers who then investigate it and if the road speed had indeed changed the new speed becomes available as a download, one drawback was even though you might have marked the road speed as incorrect the download is not free you have to pay for it.