Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC Sport Henderson signs new five-year deal

Henderson joined Liverpool from Sunderland in 2011

Liverpool midfielder Jordan Henderson has signed a new five-year deal, worth £100,000-a-week.

It ends months of talks between the parties, with the ex-Sunderland player committed to the club until 2020.

"There has been talk about it for a while now," the 24-year-old told the club website.

"It's brilliant news for me to commit my future to this football club. I think, over the next few years, we can challenge and start winning trophies."

Liverpool's hopes of winning a trophy this season ended when they lost to Aston Villa in
    their FA Cup semi-final last Sunday.

"We've improved massively over the last few years, and I think the next phase for us is to start challenging for titles and trophies as well," added Henderson.

Liverpool also tied down striker Daniel Sturridge and midfielder Philippe Coutinho to new deals earlier this season.

Manager Brendan Rodgers said: "The owners are committed to creating a team that can grow, improve and ultimately win together.

"We have seen some very important contract renewals this season and I'm confident, under [chief executive] Ian Ayre's stewardship, we will see further commitments made and more exciting talent secured and added to our squad."

England international Henderson joined Liverpool from the Black Cats in 2011 in a deal
    worth around £20m.

With Steven Gerrard leaving at the end of the season for Major League Soccer side LA Galaxy, Henderson is among the favourites for the captaincy.

The vice captain has scored seven times in 55 games for Liverpool and England this campaign.

Last edited by Nikki; 23rd April 2015 at 03:04 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Henderson signs new five-year deal

Liverpool needed this with Gerrard going at end of the season

Henderson been good I think this season and had the captains arm band on many occasions

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
    Liverpool needed this with Gerrard going at end of the season

Henderson been good I think this season and had the captains arm band on many occasions
    Glad you think so, imo he's crap and shouldn't be anywhere near a Liverpool team never mind captaining one.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thank fuck he's signed for liverpool, there was talk of him going to Chelsea.

2 Thanks given to beerman

jacko1 (24th April 2015),  Nikki (24th April 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by jacko1 View Post
    Glad you think so, imo he's crap and shouldn't be anywhere near a Liverpool team never mind captaining one.
    I cannot see the owners having a huge spending spree again, I was under the impression that the Liverpool fans wanted him to stay and considering he has took the armband for many games now - I could be wrong ! should be an interesting transfer window me thinks

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
    I cannot see the owners having a huge spending spree again, I was under the impression that the Liverpool fans wanted him to stay and considering he has took the armband for many games now - I could be wrong ! should be an interesting transfer window me thinks
    Your right mate plenty of fans do want him to stay, But i'm not one of them, As a central midfield player he doesnt offer enough for me, He doesn't tackle can't head a ball and doesn't influence the game enough, Maybe I've been spoiled with Gerrard but if he's the replacement then i'm worried.

Thanks to jacko1

Nikki (24th April 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    Thank fuck he's signed for liverpool, there was talk of him going to Chelsea.
    I was hoping city was going to buy him.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Your right mate plenty of fans do want him to stay, But i'm not one of them, As a central midfield player he doesnt offer enough for me, He doesn't tackle can't head a ball and doesn't influence the game enough, Maybe I've been spoiled with Gerrard but if he's the replacement then i'm worried.
    Know what you saying mate, I used to love Alonso in the middle of the park for you guys what a player. creativity or what

Thanks
    Karma Level

Henderson has come on a hell of a lot over the last 2 seasons. I know he's not Gerrard but who is? From what I've seen this season, Henderson has been one of the better players at Liverpool. I think if Liverpool could get Klopp then Rodgers should be moved on. It's fairly evident that last season, Liverpool were carried by the form of Suarez and Sturridge. A better manager would have taken a draw against Chelsea and then not had to chase goals when 3-0 up against Palace.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Milner is your Gerrard replacement if rumour is true.....