Close

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: HP Microserver MEGA thread

Quote Originally Posted by c0axial View Post
    Where is the Best Place to Purchase HP Micro Servers ?
    Would check out this http://digital-forums.com/showthread...0GB-Boot-drive

A good price as has all the drives installed ;-)

Thanks to akimba

Tim.Lad (22nd December 2015)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by c0axial View Post
    Where is the Best Place to Purchase HP Micro Servers ?
    There's one for sale just now in BST.

Thanks

Jaygo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi Guys,
    I don't like to show off, BUT

C^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
    Dear Lord, please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over Standard TCP/IP

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lou_smorals View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I don't like to show off, BUT

C^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
    F-Me why are they so expensive ?
    VIP WOOP !

Thanks
    Karma Level

Santa has my server

So far I've picked up the iLO advanced licence, 8GB RAM and a floppy to sata power converter. Tomorrow I've got to pickup a Samsung Evo 8GB MicroSD, a Samsung Evo 850 250GB SSD, and then 3 x 3TB WD Red. I've not decided on whether to upgrade the CPU or add a second NIC yet, I'll monitor things and see how it goes once it's bedded in.

It will be running ESXi 6 with 3 or 4 VMs, not 100% sure yet - [1] Sophos UTM, [2] Xpenology, [3] 2012 Server, [4] Linux, either Ubuntu server or CentOS. It will keep me out of trouble while I'm off of work for a few weeks

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by AP0ll0UK View Post
    Santa has my server

It will be running ESXi 6 with 3 or 4 VMs, not 100% sure yet - [1] Sophos UTM, [2] Xpenology, [3] 2012 Server, [4] Linux, either Ubuntu server or CentOS. It will keep me out of trouble while I'm off of work for a few weeks
    Hi M8
    Great, they are fantastic machines, I believe you will need to upgrade the CPU for the VMs you want - my Celeron just wouldnt kick it .
    LS
    Dear Lord, please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over Standard TCP/IP

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tim.Lad View Post
    F-Me why are they so expensive ?
    Hi
    I believe supply and demand - everybody wants this one for Microserver as its only 17w (the lowest of any suitable Xeon). you can get other ivybridge Xeons under 45w that are far faster though, but I wanted the low wattage to avoid PSU issues - I paid £150 btw and the servers with that chip installed are on ebay for £400+ so I am happy enough.

LS

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi
    I believe supply and demand - everybody wants this one for Microserver as its only 17w (the lowest of any suitable Xeon). you can get other ivybridge Xeons under 45w that are far faster though, but I wanted the low wattage to avoid PSU issues - I paid £150 btw and the servers with that chip installed are on ebay for £400+ so I am happy enough.

LS
    I'm really looking forward to getting mine cranked up on Boxing Day The worst / geekiest part is that once all the VMs are built, I'm interested to see what Sophos UTM can do, and also the monitoring that Veeam One does. I'm also looking at a free monitoring solution to bring it altogether along with some alerting and email reports, I've not decided which one yet though.

Where were you hitting the limit on your Celeron? Have you managed to get everything resolved with Xpenology or did you go to Unraid in the end?

I got mine from ServerPlus the last time they had the cashback offer running. It was about £110 after cashback which I / my Mrs was really pleased with. Unless you buy the one for sale on here [which looks like a cracking deal btw], ServerPlus will probably have another offer on the G8 Micro's at some point in the future.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi
    I got mine from Serverplus also in cheap deal and sold my Gen 7 N54L to a friend. I have still got Xpenology on as I am waiting till I instal my new Xeon before I move (maybe) to Unraid 6.
    I failed pretty instantly with EXSi and went to just Xpenology and when I asked questions on another forum they blaimed Celeron.
    I will be messing around with mine over Xmas break - mine at the moment just running the following in Xpenology - couch Potato, Sonarr, Headphones, SABnzbd as download combo and Plex with lifetime plex pass (which I got early when it was cheap) and I had Synology Surveilance running all my ip cameras in a patrol mode around my house, which was fantastic - I think Synology now blocking this as it now not allowing.
    best wishes and good luck
    LS

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's easy to start pointing the finger at hardware when sometimes people simply don't know the answer. You need proper monitoring to back it up and give you stats over a period of time so you can monitor usage at idle and peak times. Not that your new Xeon will be going to waste. I won't say I haven't considered it, but I want to see how it performs first as a CPU upgrade might not be the only area that needs some money spending on it. I'm a tight-fisted Yorkshireman as I'm sure you've guessed

I haven't used Xpenology yet so I don't know how it performs, but I can imagine it would get fairly resource intensive when it's doing big downloads, repairs and unpacking, plus other stuff. I don't know anything about surveilance so I don't know what that needs. And if you had a lot of the other plugins enabled then I can easily see it getting to a point where the CPU is maxed out - I would guess that Plex probably needs a lot when it's transcoding and streaming on the fly.

Once I've got mine up and running, got the monitoring working and it's been collecting data over a few days, I'll post some stats if you / anyone is interested? During my design I upped the Ram in a breath to 12GB rather than 8GB because I just didn't think it would leave me with enough headroom for Xpenology when the array is busy, and the Server 2012 monitoring. Plus I'm looking at MySQL databases as well but that's all a bit up in the air at the moment and gives me headache when I think about it :S Like I said earlier, a new CPU and possibly an extra NIC with dedicated ports for the different VMs will come later on depending on how it performs once it's up and running. Plus I'm keen to try and reduce power in the house and rationalise a lot of the legacy setups I've got dotted around the place.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi
    your last point was my driver, I have went from a pc with 650w PSU to N54L and now to the Gen 8 with 17w Xeon and and 150w PSU.
    I have 8gig of ECC ram (2x4gig matched). I also have a DVD burner in mine (not sure why ).

If you want to see what Xpenology is like PM me and I let you check it out in teamviewer.
    LS

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the offer mate I'll have to pass for now though as I've got my last bit of Christmas shopping to do But I can drink beer and watch the world fall apart via FaceBook tomorrow as everyone stampedes the local shops for stuff!

I don't even know what wattage my current PSU is but it's running Ubuntu 14.04 with Kodi, an E6600, 8GB Ram, some 4GB nVidia card I don't use, about 1.5TB across variois disks and in desparate need of a tidy. I'll replace with it a BeeBox or Zotac at some point. But The primary thing really is security and control via Sophos UTM, then NAS, then monitoring and alerting. And yes, I think I am getting paranoid in my old age

Thanks to AP0ll0UK

Lou_smorals (23rd December 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by AP0ll0UK View Post
    a new CPU and possibly an extra NIC with dedicated ports for the different VMs will come later on depending on how it performs once it's up and running. Plus I'm keen to try and reduce power in the house and rationalise a lot of the legacy setups I've got dotted around the place.
    I put a new NIC in my N54L as I couldn't get me onboard to do gigabit, I think it only supports 100mb

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Woooohooooo Done my upgrade
    zER9fjm.jpg

IMG_1632.JPG

Don't be jealous guys ;-)
    Happy Xmas to me
    LS

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default HP Microserver MEGA thread

Lol two years on mine still only running n54l 8gb couple of disks and ws2012 been in loft for 6 month and not even switched on , must sort it out lol

Keep changing mind on what to use it for and changed it few times but never stick with it

So far it's been Ip camera dvr, file backup or plex I doubt it will do all three

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Woooohooooo Done my upgrade
    zER9fjm.jpg

IMG_1632.JPG

Don't be jealous guys ;-)
    Happy Xmas to me
    LS
    Very nice mate

Sent from my LG-F400 using Tapatalk

Thanks to AP0ll0UK

Lou_smorals (24th December 2015)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi
    well, spent entire weekend to try and change my server O/S from Xpenology to UNRAID and failed fairly early on. As well as my lovely Xeon upgrade above I also bought an extra WD 3TB red drive which I had planned to put in the Microserver and load up UNRAID on from USB then add my old drives one by one after transfering the media from them using my USB 3.0 caddy and attach to back of my gen 8 Microserver - then formating in the UNRAID and doing the next drive.
    EPIC fail my server is now back running on Xpenology.....my ambitions were way ahead of my ability :-(
    cheers
    LS

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

What went wrong?

I just installed a P212 RAID controller into my old N40l microserver so I now have an N40l with a P212 4x3TB WD Red RAID5, a Gen8 Microserver with P222 4x3TB WD Red RAID5, and a ReadyNAS Ultra 4 with 4x2TB XRAID2 (RAID5). Don't need this storage but can now test all sorts of setups using the hardware.

Thanks to evilsatan

Lou_smorals (28th December 2015)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi
    thanks for reply...I am too thick I think. I needed to load Dolphin in a docker to mount and see the files on the xpenology data disks in usb3.0 caddy to cpy them over - I could not get this to work or the other methods I used the "unasigned devices" plugin which saw the drive but not the contents. I spent hours and hours trying with server offline and decided that this was never going to happen without somebody to guide me as the guides I was reading I didnt understand what they were saying.
    Don't laugh but it took me hours to just establish what a Docker was and did.
    thanks
    LS

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I have the same problems when learning new stuff as the guides tend to assume a level of knowledge but for example when using Linux I am generally clueless so have to research how to do things that the guide assumes I already know. All part of the learning curve and makes it all the better when you succeed!

Thanks to evilsatan

Lou_smorals (17th January 2016)  

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast