Close

... 456789
  1. DF Super Moderator
    Nov 2005
    Suffolk
    Karma Level

Re: HP Gen 8 CPU upgrade.

Once that NANDs dead, I assume they are practically unusable unless booting to Xpenology via USB?
    I'm trying all different firmware versions, but the hardest thing to get running at the moment is Intelligent Provisioning.

A firmware I used previous reported no faults, but on the latest version, it's complaining about something to do with the SD Card Reader controller.

Embedded Flash/SD-CARD Controller firmware revision 2.10.00 NAND write failure: Media is in a WRITE-PROTECTED state

Using the SPP DVD, says my Node is already upto speed.

2. DF Super Moderator
    Jul 2004
    Essex
    Karma Level

That's the message I have on one of my servers but it doesn't cause me problems. Pretty sure I have that error on my Hyper-V box and on that one I boot to an SSD that is connected to a breakout cable from the onboard RAID port and I have a P212 RAID card in the PCI slot for my array.

3. DF Super Moderator
    Nov 2005
    Suffolk
    Karma Level

No matter what I try, I cannot get into Intelligent Provisioning. Even trying to install different versions.
    Do I need to get in there? I was under the impression, to boot from an SSD via ODD you need to provision it with a volume through there, then install Windows. I'm now looking at other ways to install Windows to the SSD.

EDIT-
    SHIT! Now my server turns on, fans on at full speed and doesn't POST.
    Going to have to connect it up to a monitor to see whats going on.
    Last edited by DejaVu; at 03:53 PM.

4. DF Super Moderator
    Jul 2004
    Essex
    Karma Level

I don't think I used intelligent provisioning for anything, I can't remember how to chainload but that would be the way to do it if you wanted to use the ODD port for the OS drive. If you are using ESXi then might be even better to put it on the SD card if that is still working to boot from?

Was there a BIOS update? Any of this help with the fan speed? [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

5. DF Super Moderator
    Nov 2005
    Suffolk
    Karma Level

System back the way it was. Thank fuck - working, but not. lol

Had to use System Recovery and FTP the ILO4 Bin file over, but sorted that issue.
    I'm now ignoring Intelligent Provisioning completely, because thats a no go.

I wanted ESXi on my SSD (via ODD), but thats not happening, so going to try via SD Card. I'd love to boot from SD Card via Grub to point to the ODD with ESXi on, but this feels above my pay grade at the moment.

6. DF Super Moderator
    Nov 2005
    Suffolk
    Karma Level

Re: HP Microserver MEGA thread

After a whole bunch of messing around and very near misses, I've managed to install ESXi finally to my SanDisk 16Gb card USB 64Gb Pen drive.
    Rebooting, telling the system to only boot from SD has so far only given me a Non-system disk/Press any key to reboot message. No USB drives or anything else connected at the moment. SD Card is only thing in this thing.

I may have to re-install ESXi to the USB header instead....
    I will play with the the settings in BIOS til it finds it and hopefully....

EDIT - After a little more jiggery pokery, my server now boots straight into ESXi - Finally!
    Now with the adding of the RAID and installing an OS via VMWare...

GUYS, this has not been easy and I've been swearing a whole bunch today. My dog hates me! I consider myself pretty good with PC's, but don't be fooled. This IS worth it, but by god it's fucking stressful!
    Last edited by DejaVu; at 06:26 PM.

7. DF Super Moderator MrTeajunkie's Avatar
    Dec 2009
    Devon
    Karma Level

I just want a new server
    Instagram and twitter @mrteajunkie.
    I make mugs, keyrings, coasters, T-shirt’s and decals.

8. DF Super Moderator
    Jul 2004
    Essex
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu View Post
    After a whole bunch of messing around and very near misses, I've managed to install ESXi finally to my SanDisk 16Gb card USB 64Gb Pen drive.
    Rebooting, telling the system to only boot from SD has so far only given me a Non-system disk/Press any key to reboot message. No USB drives or anything else connected at the moment. SD Card is only thing in this thing.

I may have to re-install ESXi to the USB header instead....
    I will play with the the settings in BIOS til it finds it and hopefully....

EDIT - After a little more jiggery pokery, my server now boots straight into ESXi - Finally!
    Now with the adding of the RAID and installing an OS via VMWare...

GUYS, this has not been easy and I've been swearing a whole bunch today. My dog hates me! I consider myself pretty good with PC's, but don't be fooled. This IS worth it, but by god it's fucking stressful!
    Out of interest, did you use this tip from my OP when it came to booting from SD? Just wondering if it was a config issue or if the NAND failure actually kills the SD:

Booting from MicroSD?
    I was having problems booting from MicroSD. This internal port uses a USB header so boot from USB is the correct option in the boot menu, if you have other USB storage devices connected then you may need to change the USB boot order priority in the BIOS. Some MicroSD cards are moody so might be worth trying other models. If the Microserver fails to boot from the card then try disconnecting power cord, holding power button down then trying again - worked for me!

9. DF Super Moderator
    Nov 2005
    Suffolk
    Karma Level

HP Microserver MEGA thread

After another day of messing around, I've come to the conclusion, as it appears my NAND is knackered and cannot get to the Intelligent Provisioning under any circumstances, I'm limited to only being able to utilise the services via Xpenology and DSM via the USB Boot option.

I thought of redirecting the Boot from a USB using BCDEdit to the ODD Drive with an SSD installed, but then realised this could cause more problems regarding drivers, compatibility and other problems.

I assume running Windows Server 2019 is probably going to be way more problematic than it's worth.
    If I need to run any VM's, technically I can do so in DSM under the Virtual Machine Manager.

Still in the market for a CPU for this thing and noticed the XEON E3-1265 v2 is down to ?65 delivered from China at the moment.
    I'm looking for other alternatives, perhaps faster, for a similar price.

Looking at the E3-1290L (or v2) is an option... I've checked my PSU in my unit and it's the UK 200w version as opposed to the 150w the US version people are complaining about power wise. The heat issue will obviously come up, so I'm on the fence about which to go for at the moment.

I'm now swaying towards the Xeon E3-1240 V2 although has a TDP of 69w.

Thoughts evilsatan?

10. DF Super Moderator
    Jul 2004
    Essex
    Karma Level

After another day of messing around, I've come to the conclusion, as it appears my NAND is knackered and cannot get to the Intelligent Provisioning under any circumstances, I'm limited to only being able to utilise the services via Xpenology and DSM via the USB Boot option.

I thought of redirecting the Boot from a USB using BCDEdit to the ODD Drive with an SSD installed, but then realised this could cause more problems regarding drivers, compatibility and other problems.

I assume running Windows Server 2019 is probably going to be way more problematic than it's worth.
    If I need to run any VM's, technically I can do so in DSM under the Virtual Machine Manager.

Still in the market for a CPU for this thing and noticed the XEON E3-1265 v2 is down to ?65 delivered from China at the moment.
    I'm looking for other alternatives, perhaps faster, for a similar price.

Looking at the E3-1290L (or v2) is an option... I've checked my PSU in my unit and it's the UK 200w version as opposed to the 150w the US version people are complaining about power wise. The heat issue will obviously come up, so I'm on the fence about which to go for at the moment.

I'm now swaying towards the Xeon E3-1240 V2 although has a TDP of 69w.

Thoughts evilsatan?
    The NAND is bad in one of my two boxes but it still happily runs Win 10 as a hypervisor then my VMs within that, do you know what it is that's preventing you from being able to do the same? I am very happy with the Xeon E3-1265L V2, it seemed to be the sweet spot between processing power, power consumption and thermals. I use the stock PSU and cooler with some decent paste.

Can you remind me if you are using the PCI slot? If not then maybe try to pick up a cheap HP RAID card (I have the P212 and P222 both working fine in my boxes) then use a breakout cable on the integrated RAID to host the boot SSD.

11. DF Super Moderator
    Nov 2005
    Suffolk
    Karma Level

I've bit the bullet and gone for a 1265Lv2. En route from Chine for ?62. Not bad I suppose. Better now than when you got yours.

Already have 16Gb RAM (so no upgrade available there).

At the moment, I'm booting from USB in Xpenology, which is pretty good to be fair.

My idea was to boot via USB and redivert to the ODD SATA with an SSD holding the VMs and using the RAID for storage (4x 6TB WD REDs).

All this being said, digging around in DSM, it is capable of running VMs as well and can be stored on the ODD/SSDSATA drive for speed anyway. I realise ESXi is likely to have more features and probably more likely to give directly access devices rather than emulating certain things.

I think I need to ask what the benefits of ESXi are over DSM. The server is primarily used for Plex and the programs required with it. Having decent Windows/Linux VMs alongside it would be a bonus. But at the moment, I see no real need.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

12. DF Super Moderator
    Jul 2004
    Essex
    Karma Level

I've bit the bullet and gone for a 1265Lv2. En route from Chine for ?62. Not bad I suppose. Better now than when you got yours.

Already have 16Gb RAM (so no upgrade available there).

At the moment, I'm booting from USB in Xpenology, which is pretty good to be fair.

My idea was to boot via USB and redivert to the ODD SATA with an SSD holding the VMs and using the RAID for storage (4x 6TB WD REDs).

All this being said, digging around in DSM, it is capable of running VMs as well and can be stored on the ODD/SSDSATA drive for speed anyway. I realise ESXi is likely to have more features and probably more likely to give directly access devices rather than emulating certain things.

I think I need to ask what the benefits of ESXi are over DSM. The server is primarily used for Plex and the programs required with it. Having decent Windows/Linux VMs alongside it would be a bonus. But at the moment, I see no real need.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    I'm not sure how they compare, I set up ESXi and Hyper-V as testbeds for training myself. Are you using a PCI GPU in there with Plex or relying on CPU? One of my VMs is PMS and uses just the CPU, the server does not support Intel Quick Sync even if the processor does, I would liked to have put a GPU in but had to use the one slot for my RAID card.

Looks like you can get an HP P222 with cache and battery for under ?30 from China now (eBay)! I paid loads more when I set mine up years ago. If you weren't using the slot then maybe get one of these cards, a breakout cable to use the integrated RAID chip and just boot an SSD from P1 on the breakout cable for SATA3 speeds.

... 456789