Close

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Dumbass IPTV or a Dream box?

Wanting to move in the the world of dreambox + or IPTV and get rid of sly

Just don't know what one and were to start or what box to get.

i am pretty technical just never really thought or looked at this sort of stuff

Just don't want to buy a box that will be useless or outdated as ebay is full of cheep crap boxes and what provider is good for this ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: IPTV or a Dream box?

Zgemma 2s is a good start. It's a twin tuner, enigma 2 Sat box for about £80. I have one in my spare room and can't fault it.

Thanks to bub

TotallyRandom (30th April 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hey going to go on your recommendation and get a Zgemma 2

I can see some on ebay are pre loaded with some extra stuff

is this something i can add my self and what provider would you recommend or will i just get a pre loaded one ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Don't think you can talk about it in here but if you are trying to get the extra stuff you will need to do a lot of reading if you are to do it yourself. If it's preloaded then you are dependent on the seller but I am sure at some pont you might want to use someone else so that's when you have to do some reading up on setting up your box

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorry to hijack slightly, still on the iptv

With iptv how does it work? do I get provider or do i need one? im not going to go into detail as i know what it involves with someone else

Thanks
    Karma Level

Have recently gone down the IPTV route and think this is the way it will all go. Yes you can get a paid provider but tbh you don't need to. Soo much stuff can be found for free after a bit of a learning curve.
    Basically KODI plugins provide everything I want to watch and a lot in 1080p or at least 720p, you wont get HD through sat at the mo.

Thanks
    Karma Level

You're about 10 years too late for CS, in my opinion.

I'd look into IPTV a bit more. It's starting to become far more reliable and the quality is improving all the time. I did have a 1080p stream, which was comparable with broadcast HD. It only lasted a week. But it showed that it's possible.

2 Thanks given to Geko

beacytan (11th June 2015),  TotallyRandom (1st May 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

As GEKO says.

The plugins I use let you search for pretty much any movie/tv series and they have had everything I wanted to watch so far. Finished watching Dexter in HD, now starting Game Of Thrones e.t.c
    There also plugins the provide most live streams for many Sky Channels. These are not as reliable but tbh I havent spent much time looking at this side of it. Freeview HD is no problem too. A good box is £50 or more if you want better speed e.t.c

Worth researching imho as I didnt and carried on down the CS route for much longer and wish I had looked into this sooner. Not bothered with CS for about 2 or 3 months since going down the IP avenue. Best to have reasonable Broadband though. If you live in middle of nowhere with 512kbps connection forget it :-)

Thanks to piggzy

TotallyRandom (1st May 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    You're about 10 years too late for CS, in my opinion.

I'd look into IPTV a bit more. It's starting to become far more reliable and the quality is improving all the time. I did have a 1080p stream, which was comparable with broadcast HD. It only lasted a week. But it showed that it's possible.
    CS is far from dead, it's looking likely that HD has been sorted again but is expensive at the moment. Also £80 for a twin tuner Enigma box and you can get a sub for as cheap as £10 for a year so it's worth a punt.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by bub View Post
    CS is far from dead, it's looking likely that HD has been sorted again but is expensive at the moment. Also £80 for a twin tuner Enigma box and you can get a sub for as cheap as £10 for a year so it's worth a punt.
    I don't do rumours. When HD switches on it will be worth it. Until then.... It isn't. I have been messing with satellite since I was in my early 20s and have been playing with CS for NEARLY (In case it upsets people again) 10 years...! I have heard the ifs, buts, maybes and almosts.... 99% of the time, it's bollocks. IPTV is going to replace CS anyway. It's almost good enough now. And it's getting cheaper.

Why buy an enigma box for £70 quid when you are talking rumour?

I'll stick with my £5 a month IPTV server. It's reliable. It's got the key channels in HD. I have 150 channels and no dish...!

5 Thanks given to Geko

ant3b (5th May 2015),  Ashley (2nd May 2015),  mc.dodd (2nd May 2015),  piggzy (2nd May 2015),  Robbo (8th July 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cable HD CS still going strong though?

If paying £70 for an enigma 2 then surely one with both sat and cable tuners had to be a good deal especially when it plays iptv.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    I don't do rumours. When HD switches on it will be worth it. Until then.... It isn't. I have been messing with satellite since I was in my early 20s and have been playing with CS for NEARLY (In case it upsets people again) 10 years...! I have heard the ifs, buts, maybes and almosts.... 99% of the time, it's bollocks. IPTV is going to replace CS anyway. It's almost good enough now. And it's getting cheaper.

Why buy an enigma box for £70 quid when you are talking rumour?

I'll stick with my £5 a month IPTV server. It's reliable. It's got the key channels in HD. I have 150 channels and no dish...!
    No different to me in regards to the amount of time spent messing with CS, before CS there was the Elvis programmer which I still have lol. I did purchase the Zgemma box that does Cable and sat, so if one goes down I can use the other tuner. In the meantime my main box is a Miraclebox which is a twin tuner on cable, also have a VU+duo which for a tenner a year does the Sat side, only used for backup though as Cable is HD.
    IPTV will also suffer if UK CS goes down because a lost of their channels are from CS
    Last edited by bub; 2nd May 2015 at 08:21 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

IPTV will also suffer if UK CS goes down because a lost of their channels are from CS
    They may be provided from CS but absolutely don't need to be so no reason why IPTV would suffer because of CS problems !!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    They may be provided from CS but absolutely don't need to be so no reason why IPTV would suffer because of CS problems !!!
    If sly CS goes IPTV will need to stream every individual channels separately so subs will be a lot more expensive if you want the main Sly uk channels. I know that IPTV has a lot more to offer than Sly UK but lets face it most people in the UK that have a Mag box etc will want Slyuk on it before anything else.
    You can also use an Enigma 2 box for IPTV.
    Last edited by bub; 2nd May 2015 at 09:07 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I get what you are saying but if Card Sharing goes its gone. It wont be the end of IPTV. I should have been clearer.
    Yes it will have an effect on IPTV but not a drastic one

Thanks
    Karma Level

No different to me in regards to the amount of time spent messing with CS, before CS there was the Elvis programmer which I still have lol. I did purchase the Zgemma box that does Cable and sat, so if one goes down I can use the other tuner. In the meantime my main box is a Miraclebox which is a twin tuner on cable, also have a VU+duo which for a tenner a year does the Sat side, only used for backup though as Cable is HD.

I also had an Elvis box. But... That wasn't before CS. There were many options after ONDigi went and before CS became viable. I am not entering a pissing contest with you. But quite frankly you are talking nonsense. Most IPTV channels are not from CS. Maybe in the early days. But not now...!

Thanks
    Karma Level

If sly CS goes IPTV will need to stream every individual channels separately so subs will be a lot more expensive if you want the main Sly uk channels. I know that IPTV has a lot more to offer than Sly UK but lets face it most people in the UK that have a Mag box etc will want Slyuk on it before anything else.
    You can also use an Enigma 2 box for IPTV.

I don't think you get how this works. A channel is transcoded and streamed. This stream can be sold multiple times. 100s even. If you have 5 subs for all the SKY HD channels, as an example. It costs you £57 a month for the minimum HD package with Sky Sports. Add a few multi rooms. Makes it £97.

You run those streams to a host using a couple of fibre lines.

Those streams can be sold and resold all around the world. The return is currently in the 1000s. Most of the IPTV providers are all using the same streams as it doesn't affect bandwidth.

Then.... There are the online streams which are available and unprotected. These are hosted by the TV providers or people like filmon, or NBC sports or NFL Gamepass etc... They are also not using CS channel streams.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Fair enough if CS is not needed for Iptv that's great, I am only going by the info I read on the subject in the past. You can still use your Enigma box though to pick up iptv channels. I don't mind admitting when I'm wrong but at the same time you do love to start an argument with me any time I comment, you have done this in the past and you do your best trying to make someone look stupid, must be a small cock size issue with you. The original poster wanted help with an enigma box.
    I still believe £10 a year for CS is unbeatable and the box can still be used for IPTV if that's the future
    Last edited by bub; 3rd May 2015 at 02:58 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default IPTV or a Dream box?

Bub if I upgrade my f5s to one of these and add drive is there anything I can't do over my other sky+ box apart from hd channels and series link I presume ?

I have £10 sub and it's great [emoji106]
    Last edited by Mobileman; 3rd May 2015 at 03:30 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mobileman View Post
    Bub if I upgrade my f5s to one of these and add drive is there anything I can't do over my other sky+ box apart from hd channels and series link I presume ?

I have £10 sub and it's great [emoji106]
    Find out from your provider if he will let you use another box from the same IP. I think mine allows up to 3. I have an external drive on mine and have added a blue Sky skin which looks like Sky+ box when going through the menus. Zapping is quick. In fact I can't think of any negatives in regards to the Zgemma box

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast