im getting fed up with the spaghetti of cables, various routers, switches, low transfer speeds and sometimes flaky wifi signal in my home and want to rip it all out then install network points to most rooms.

i was thinking of buying a used rackmount type gigabit network switch then running cat6 cables to all rooms that need access to the network, i have been browsing ebay for various bits i might need but am surprised at the huge differences in prices - before i go and buy something thats totally useless and either wont work or will be stupidly slow, has anyone got any advice as to what to buy, what not to buy, what to look for and any hints/tips?

i have my main internet connection (fibre) coming into my downstairs office which is connected to a draytek modem/router (which is connected to my NAS's), i also need 3 wired feeds into the lounge, 2 wired feeds into the main bedroom, 1 wired into the kids room and 1 wired into the spare room, id also like some spare capacity for future networked items