Pi Killer maybe 6

Thread: Pi Killer maybe 6

  1. WRATH OF BOD's Avatar

    WRATH OF BOD said:

    Tech Pi Killer maybe 6

    could this be the Pi killer, smaller than the pi & only 6, now on kickstarter
    it looks like you can add what video port you want at extra cost.
    The Raspberry Pi is often lauded for its paltry size and seemingly small-time price to match. With the CHIP however, micro computing has never been so friendly on your wallet.
    The CHIP is the world’s first ‘Nine Dollar Computer’, meaning you could grab yourself a new computer for the price of a KFC Boneless Banquet.

    PC in your Pocket
    Currently blazing away on Kickstarter, CHIP not only hits the Raspberry Pi hard on price, but also on size. Slight enough to get mixed up with your credit cards, the CHIP features a 1GHz processor, 512MB of RAM and 4GB of storage. With wireless connectivity and Bluetooth built in, you can connect a keyboard and mouse wirelessly and unlock CHIP’s potential.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
     
  2. akimba's Avatar

    akimba said:

    Default Re: Pi Killer maybe 6

    At work we do display stuff on TV's so we buying a few of these as a tester ;-)

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
     
  3. WRATH OF BOD's Avatar

    WRATH OF BOD said:

    Default Re: Pi Killer maybe 6

    Quote Originally Posted by akimba View Post
    At work we do display stuff on TV's so we buying a few of these as a tester ;-)

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    nice but a lot more than 6 each lol
     
  4. koola2's Avatar

    koola2 said:

    Default Re: Pi Killer maybe 6

    Twenty dollar delivery seems expensive.
     
  5. blacksheep's Avatar

    blacksheep said:

    Default Re: Pi Killer maybe 6

    Quote Originally Posted by akimba View Post
    At work we do display stuff on TV's so we buying a few of these as a tester ;-)

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Love how they've given the windows one twice the ram and four times the storage...
     
  6. blacksheep's Avatar

    blacksheep said:

    Default Re: Pi Killer maybe 6

    These things are so far from the pi that I think labelling them pi killers is a little unfair. You have to have a fairly solid electronics and base level coding knowledge to get these to do much other than flash LEDs.

    E.g.

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    the he vocore is one of these tiny computers and offers more than the one in the OP yet look at what needs to be done to get a simple new emulator running and it's barely doing that, the frame buffer needs playing with to work properly.

    I can see a kid pick up a raspberry pi or a beagleboard and make something with it but when you've got to solder directly to the board for Ethernet/usb etc it starts to land more in the hardware geek uni project area - especially when you've such limited memory and processing power that's where true coding skills start to show.

    Its akin to HFT trading and the race to zero where every computational action counts and you soon find yourself running out of memory and trying to remove/reduce bits of code (similar to online forms with restricted word count).
     
  7. Squizza's Avatar

    Squizza said:

    Default Re: Pi Killer maybe 6

    I hate the phrase 'Pi Killer'.

    The guys behind the Pi set it up as a charity and not for money making. Then all of a sudden these other companies are coming out with cheaper alternatives to try and flood the market and make a quick few quid.

    None of these 'Pi Killers' will ever have the community backing like the Pi does. I am all for smaller PC's etc.. and I will probably pick one up at the right price for a project, but the Pi's are something I will have a lot more respect for and use for bigger/better projects.

    With this 6 one, by the time you add the HDMI adapter/Battery etc.. your looking at the price of a Pi 2...
     
  8. Mystical_2K's Avatar

    Mystical_2K said:

    Default Re: Pi Killer maybe 6

    Quote Originally Posted by akimba View Post
    At work we do display stuff on TV's so we buying a few of these as a tester ;-)

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    yep we are doing the same, tried the HannsPree one first but was no good
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.
     
  9. EvilBoB's Avatar

    EvilBoB said:

    Default Re: Pi Killer maybe 6

    I like this for IoT. For a few quid you can stick one of these in a doorbell that could, for example, take a photo and flash it on a push notification to a phone quite easily. It could have it's uses but will never have the following and community that Pi has.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil
     
  10. blacksheep's Avatar

    blacksheep said:

    Default Re: Pi Killer maybe 6

    There's loads of products that do that for a similar price. Have a look at the spark photon (that's the easy to play with version) or the P0 which would do your doorbell which is a STM32F205 and can be bought for a similar price.
     
  11. PropoYonk's Avatar

    PropoYonk said:

    Default Re: Pi Killer maybe 6

    Quote Originally Posted by WRATH OF BOD View Post
    could this be the Pi killer, smaller than the pi & only 6, now on kickstarter
    it looks like you can add what video port you want at extra cost.
    The Raspberry Pi is often lauded for its paltry size and seemingly small-time price to match. With the CHIP however, micro computing has never been so friendly on your wallet.
    The CHIP is the world’s first ‘Nine Dollar Computer’, meaning you could grab yourself a new computer for the price of a KFC Boneless Banquet.

    PC in your Pocket
    Currently blazing away on Kickstarter, CHIP not only hits the Raspberry Pi hard on price, but also on size. Slight enough to get mixed up with your credit cards, the CHIP features a 1GHz processor, 512MB of RAM and 4GB of storage. With wireless connectivity and Bluetooth built in, you can connect a keyboard and mouse wirelessly and unlock CHIP’s potential.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    The specifications are impressive. I especially like the buit-in wireless and Bluetooth.