Thomas Cook 'received £3.5m payout' after Corfu gas deaths
Christianne and Robert Shepherd died while on holiday in Corfu in 2006 Holiday company Thomas Cook has confirmed it received compensation from a Greek hotel where two UK children died from carbon monoxide poisoning.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] a £3.5m payout was made for loss of profits and other expenses from the tragedy.
Christi Shepherd, seven, and her brother Bobby, six, were killed by fumes from a faulty hot water boiler at their hotel in Corfu in October 2006.
Thomas Cook said all parties affected by the deaths had been compensated.
The company, which did not reveal the amount they were paid out, also told the BBC that the compensation covered only part of its costs.
On Wednesday, an inquest jury returned a verdict of unlawful killing in the case, and concluded that Thomas Cook "breached its duty of care".
It has now emerged that Thomas Cook was paid the compensation two years ago.
A Thomas Cook spokesman said: "After it was clear that the hotel was responsible for the tragedy all parties affected were compensated and Thomas Cook received a compensation that partly compensated for the costs related to the incident."
Meanwhile, Thomas Cook has now written to parents Neil Shepherd and Sharon Wood to apologise.
The boiler was described as "decrepit" in hearings Neil Shepherd (centre) carries the coffin of one of his children Thomas Cook has previously pointed out an investigation by the Greek authorities had cleared its employees of any wrongdoing.
The children, from Horbury near Wakefield, were on holiday at the Louis Corcyra Beach Hotel with their father, Neil, and his now wife, Ruth, when they died.
They were found by a chambermaid in a bungalow at the hotel.
Their father and stepmother had also become ill and were in a coma when they were found but recovered in hospital.
The inquest heard the faulty hot water boiler had been housed in an outbuilding attached to the side of the bungalow where the family were staying.
Neil Shepherd and Sharon Wood battled to get legal aid to be represented at the inquest Mr Shepherd told the Mail on Sunday: "We all loved the idea of a bungalow because it looked out on to the sea and our children Christi and Bobby could run in and out to the gardens.
"We thought it would be a wonderful family holiday with happy memories. Instead it was to be the children's last days on this earth."
Mrs Wood added: "I've never blamed Neil or Ruth and they know that but I still find it extremely upsetting that I wasn't there for my kids. If they were going to die in someone's arms, it should have been mine."
Following a three-year battle by the family in the Greek courts a criminal trial was held in 2010.
Three people, including the manager of the Louis Corcyra Beach Hotel and two members of staff, were found guilty of manslaughter by negligence and sentenced to seven years.
Eight other people were cleared, including two Thomas Cook travel reps. The trial cleared the firm of any responsibility.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]