Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help BIOS Windows key. Laptop rolled back - HP machine

I was asked by a friend to get Windows 8 back onto a laptop. Since receiving this, I have learnt that the Windows 8 Key is BIOS based, however, my concern is this laptop was rolled back to Windows 7, something to do with his fathers companies policy IT set up (all since gone south).

To be honest, I've not even booted this up, but I guess a couple of questions are;
    - Despite it being rolled back will the key still be present somewhere on the BOIS
    - Has anyone experience of this?
    - Any other pointers you can give?

What I thought was a good turn and an easy one, has all of a sudden transpired to look like an a long day thing.

Thanks in advance,
    Q

EDIT
    Can this site be trusted (Get Into PC?) http://getintopc.com/softwares/opera...windows-8-pro/

Cheers.....Q

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: BIOS Windows key. Laptop rolled back - HP machine

The key is stored in the BIOS, installing windows 7 wouldn't have touched the bios. I'm not sure if you can use a retail installer or if you need the OEM/recovery discs but I imagine you can use the clean image downloads and install.

Obv bi make an image of the drive before doing this unless you use it as an opportunity to install an SSd too

Thanks to evilsatan

QfanatiQ (22nd May 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ohh, ES, you are always the one to help me out, much thanks yet again!
    I will ask about the SSD, I was not due to make an image of the HD, it is clean mind, all work stuff is non relevant. So I was intending (until I read this) to only grab all the drivers.
    I was going to do a clean install (is that site offering such?)

Thanks, I constantly give this site, you and others credit, you do continue to make me look good with my apparent learnt knowledge.

I am not sure he will want to spend the money, but will ask on the SSD.

Cheers.....Q

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    The key is stored in the BIOS, installing windows 7 wouldn't have touched the bios. I'm not sure if you can use a retail installer or if you need the OEM/recovery discs but I imagine you can use the clean image downloads and install.

Obv bi make an image of the drive before doing this unless you use it as an opportunity to install an SSd too

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

You can get a clean windows 8 ISO from Microsoft, just get the right version, then you can update to 8.1 through the windows store. Let me know how it goes as I haven't tried this before but I thought they had tried to make it easier so it auto activates without need to install the certificate and key yourself. If you need to install those I can help anyway.

Thanks
    Karma Level

You can get a clean windows 8 ISO from Microsoft, just get the right version, then you can update to 8.1 through the windows store. Let me know how it goes as I haven't tried this before but I thought they had tried to make it easier so it auto activates without need to install the certificate and key yourself. If you need to install those I can help anyway.
    Still got this to do and now been asked to put in an SSD. He is going to buy it and I will put it in. Not having worked with laptops beforehand for such things, what do I need to consider in terms of both suggestions and putting in!

cheers.....Q

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I would probably get a minimum of a 250GB as 120GB goes quickly. Check how much media/docs he intends to use though. I would suggest a Samsung 850 Evo as a good choice, I now have the 500GB model in my pc and laptop. On most laptops it's very easy to install, remove the access cover on the base of the laptop, remove the drive cage, attach it to the SSD, insert it and then boot from your install media.

you may want to access the BIOS first, often there is an option for load defaults for Windows 8. I would turn off secure boot though as that can prevent boot tools from running in the future and I don't think it's required by win 8.

Thanks to evilsatan

QfanatiQ (18th July 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

you may want to access the BIOS first, often there is an option for load defaults for Windows 8. I would turn off secure boot though as that can prevent boot tools from running in the future and I don't think it's required by win 8.
    ES, thanks. Do these load options apply as it currently has 7?

cheers....Q

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Not all laptops have the option but because win 7 needs secure boot off and they prefer you to have it on for win 8 (although I would turn it off personally) I have noticed a lot with that option. If not you can use it as it is, it shouldn't affect access to the key, I haven't tried installing win 8 back on to one of these laptops though.

Worth mentioning that windows 10 is due on the 26th IIRC so might be worth jumping straight to that?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Worth mentioning that windows 10 is due on the 26th IIRC so might be worth jumping straight to that?
    Oh no, more options!

to be honest with the speed this is progressing I am unlikely to even have the HD in hand. He's ordering the 500gb one.

Cheers.....Q

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

You should be fine just installing Windows 8 mate on the laptops i have done this on it auto-activated Windows through the Bios, doesnt matter how many times you install another OS or what OS you use
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks to Mystical_2K

QfanatiQ (18th July 2015)