Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default My New Wheels. Just two, non-motorised

As much as I love my mountain bike. It's just too much trying to break into the 100 mile club. Only so much you can do on a 12kg 29er plus it ain't designed for distance, but for off road.

So, as I'm finding myself riding road a lot more than trails at the moment, I've just ordered myself this little beauty. All tech specs via the link. Weight = 7.6kg

Still going to be riding the MTB a lot but will reserve that solely for the trails and more rugged surfaces.

https://www.canyon.com/en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3589

Last edited by dpSparhawk; 23rd May 2015 at 02:33 AM.

Thanks to dpSparhawk

broona (22nd May 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: My New Wheels. Just two, non-motorised

Similar setup to the wife's but hers is Ultegra 2x10. She loves it but has had issues in high wind when racing. Nice wheels Mr, sure you will love it but don't retire the MTB.

Thanks to BertRoot

dpSparhawk (22nd May 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I know I will regret this but, what kind of money does that bmx go for?

DJ OD

Thanks to DJ OD

dpSparhawk (22nd May 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers Bert. I'll not be getting rid of the MTB. In fact, I've also ordered today an Asgard high security storage unit for 29ers, as my MTB is a 29er but it stores up to 4 bikes so both will go in there and will be alarmed also.

DJ, you mean the roadbike above? £1400 mate. My MTB was £900 hence that's another reason I won't get rid of it. It's too good

Thanks
    Karma Level

I start a new job in a couple of weeks and gonna cycle that everyday but grown out of getting pissed wet every day so on my terms. That is mainly on road with about a mile of possible off road. I intend on riding my Orange Five but am toying with using my hardtail as it has a 130 mm fork and bigger gears at the front 22/32/44 whilst my Orange is running 24/36 at the front. Will see I suppose. I doubt I would buy a road bike TBH but I understand their uses.

My old man just bought a Rose CF thing with Ultrgra on and hydraulic discs. Fucking mental.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah there are some seriously nice CF road bikes out there. The Ultimate has the Shimano 105 11's which as I understand it are EPIC!

I only work 9 miles away and often cycle to work but I've been passed far too many times by road bikers when I've thought I was giving it a decent pelt on the MTB lol. Averaging 16mph on a MTB over 9 miles ain't too shabby and even on a 45 miler with some decent gradients I can average around 14mph mainly because by the time I get to around 35miles, my legs are fucked lol. This is why I want to shed 5kg's and reduce rolling resistance by going to the road bike. What I'm likely to do then is instead of doing a 9 mile ride to work, I'll do a 20 mile ride to work just for shits n giggles Then I can start breaking up into the higher mileage as I go along (not on work days though lol).

Thanks to dpSparhawk

BertRoot (22nd May 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm not usually into road bikes at all, but that does look proper nice and being a Canyon you can bet there is a $hit load of kit for the money (I know Canyon MTBs are). I'm thinking of getting a new MTB myself from a similar "internet only based" manufacturer, as shop prices can't even get close to them for cost/spec (YT Industries).

Thanks to tips

dpSparhawk (23rd May 2015)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi
    You guys are on a whole other level, I just got GT aggressor 3.0 and thought I was billy big spuds and here are you guys putting £2K+ bikes in storage tsk tsk
    Best wishes
    LS
    Dear Lord, please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over Standard TCP/IP

Thanks to Lou_smorals

dpSparhawk (23rd May 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have a lot of security for mine. We have at least two bikes each and they do add up.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah this is the storage unit I've just bought. Asgard Storage for 29ers (as my MTB is a 29er) so it'll take the MTB and the RB when it arrives

19 Stone of Galvanised Steel

http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/home-cate...etal-bike-shed

Stock image btw Not my bikes.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm still road riding. Mostly with a club now but not one of these dickhead clubs, we are a proper social gathering with pub nights etc too and loads of support. Being in a club has encouraged me to do things I would never have done on my own, especially climbing hills.

I'm on a cannondale supersix evo now, £1600 worth of bike which I got for £1000 as last year's model. Changed the fsa crank for ultegra and I want to do the brakes at some point as they are tiagra and I want ultegra there too but I'm really enjoying it. I'm not getting out as much as I should but have just passed 1000 miles this year.

Off for a club ride this morning which I think I'm leading today. Love it! Should manage somewhere around 40 miles this morning.

Enjoy the canyon they are great bikes. Good value, light and nice spec for the money
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

Thanks to maltloaf

dpSparhawk (25th May 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nice bike. I know that Canyon are German mail order only, did you have any issues with the purchase? I'd worry buying a bike unseen, I feel the need to be able to sit on it before shelling out the cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ooh, ooh, ooh, the funky gibbon.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Canyon are great bikes and a great company so no worries there. What you do need to be sure of is you buy the correct frame size. You can check out the geometry on the website and find a bike in your local store that is the same or almost the same. The most important measurements are effective top tube, seat tube length and reach.

You can adjust almost every other dimension on a bike as long as the frame isn't too big or too small for you. In fact you SHOULD adjust every other dimension during your set up (over the course of weeks usually)
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

Thanks to maltloaf

Thanks
    Karma Level

Either that or get a bike fitting. Some firms charge a fucking fortune but we have a guy near us who does them for 35 quid who used to wrench for one of the big teams.

Thanks to BertRoot

Thanks
    Karma Level

The order has been fine. Of course it'll take a week or so for it to arrive.

Yeah I went into Evans and Giant and tried out a number of bikes. The frame I need is an M (56cm). My measurements are actually, BANG in the middle of M and S. I talked at length with Canyon and advised that my main interest is in riding long distances and a decent average speed with climbs of course. I'm not interested in trying to race like Wiggins. Too old for that now . Talking with the guy he advised their S frame (53cm) would work but would be a real low down aggressive racey position which would also require some discipline in stability. Getting the M would be more suited to my needs especially as my height (175cm) and inseam (which is between 82 and 83 cm depending on how hard I pull a spirit level up into my balls lol). When in Evans and Giant, I stood over the M size frame and spoke with a couple of the staff there. They recommended an M too saying the S would be just a bit on the small size for me. Additionally, if you google loads of different bike shops, Wiggle, Chain reaction, Merlin, Halfrauds, etc.. etc.. including shops in other countries, it seems that for someone between 5ft7" and 5ft9" with an inside leg of around 31" (yup they all use ft and inches) then an M size is what I need.

The seat and handlebars I can make adjustments to as required. The other thing I've done is bought a second set of the pedals I use on my MTB. They're light and it means I don't have to spend another £150 on road bike pedals / shoes /cleats. I can just use my MTB shoes which are low profile, light but with a slightly thicker sole. As Maltloaf said, Canyon are well renowned company so I'm not worried.

On a side note, when you buy a bike from Canyon, you can get ridiculous discounts on accessories. I also got a Garmin Edge 1000 bundle (has the cadence, speed and heart monitors) for £325 as opposed to the £420 - £450 other shops (even online ones) sell them at. I also got the pedals, chain lube, two spare 50g tubes, 2 x bottle cages discounted too. Total spend was £1825 fully delivered, insured and in their bikeguard box.

Thanks to dpSparhawk

funkyg (25th May 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nice

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Xicaque View Post
    Nice

great input. welcome to Digital Forums

Thanks to Mickey

dpSparhawk (1st June 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    great input. welcome to Digital Forums
    Thought for a moment he was just boosting post count but saw a slightly longer reply to the Adobe thread.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BertRoot View Post
    Either that or get a bike fitting. Some firms charge a fucking fortune but we have a guy near us who does them for 35 quid who used to wrench for one of the big teams.
    If done properly, that is a bargain!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Brydo666 View Post
    If done properly, that is a bargain!
    I know. He is a man of few words but does the job right. My wifes back is Bob on now that he has done the fitting and none of this 'while you are here I recommend you buy this seat for a hundred quid from me and it will change everything'. Another mate had one done in Cheshire and paid 130 for the same results but he also got 'advised' to get this stem. Stem was only 10mm difference and you could sort that sliding the seat back. He also keeps a record of your sizing and will apply, if possible, to a new bike for 20 quid.

Thanks to BertRoot

funkyg (14th February 2017)  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast