Close

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default 2003 MK3 Mondeo 2.0L 130 TDCI Injector Reconditioning.

Looked this up and its possible and recommended if your vehicle just goes to limp mode. Replacing them with all the recoding BS is expensive and costs more than the cars worth.

It's just sailed through the MOT without a hitch and I'm now going to try and sort the injectors out.

Looking around the internet, suggests pulling them out, dismantling them and placing in an ultrasonic bath (for cleaning jewelry).
    Then rebuilding and reinstalling. All sounds very simple... but its a car and not a laptop, so thought I'd ask the advice of any DFers who have gone down this route and succeeded. A lot of lads on TalkFord have managed it. I'm just worried I wont be able to and it'll fuck my car up worse.

I dont want to have to recode them, just recondition them.

Here is the infamous youtube video TalkFord explains to watch...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMKbN064y0E

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: 2003 MK3 Mondeo 2.0L 130 TDCI Injector Reconditioning.

This is one of the pitfalls of owning a modern diesel - bad injector, get ready to pay £300+ to get it fixed.

Suppose even if you do kill it, it was already screwed. If you can get someone to recode it for free maybe worth trying to see if you can get a bit more life out of it.

Personally I would let a garage sort it if possible, I remember trying to help someone out with a Focus last year, car was difficult to start and showed low furl pressure while cranking which was most likely due to a bad injector or imv (fuel pressure regulator on pump). Leakback test found bad injector so that was replaced and car wouldn't start at all. IMV replaced, still no joy. The injector that was replaced was replaced with two more known good ones with no joy still. A lot of the local diagnostics guys and a fair few garage techs looked at that car and no one could figure it out. In the end the garage owner bought another identical scrap vehicle and swapped the entire high pressure diesel system to get that car going.

Thanks to Over Carl

DejaVu (15th June 2015)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd usually agree that a mechanic is the way to go, but I'm convinced that cleaning the injectors I already have coded to the ECU is gonna be more cost effective and frankly, spending £300+ on it after throwing so much in to it already seems stupid.

That sort of money on a car that's resale value is under a grand is just not worth it.

Hate this trait on Mondeos. It's a well known problem.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Save your time and money - just sell it and buy another mondeo or something simliar. Sell it to a garage as part of a trade-in or something like that. With the MOT it should be worth something.

At this point if your cars worth a grand or less (i'm taking a guess! 12 year old mondeo!) - each MOT and service and tax will be more than the car is worth so it will just be money down the drain no matter what way you look at it.

I believe Honda's are the most reliable cars on the road today. (Think i heard that somewhere in the media). My brother-in-law as a Civic 1.9 CRD Ti i think it is and it's done 130k on it and only ever needed to change the battery on it in 7 years when it wouldn't start - everything else wear and tear. He rips the tits out of it too.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Or you could also consider that any car will have running costs, which will go "down the drain" whether you stick with the current car or change it. Say for example your tyres, whether you get a brand new car or an old one, tyres will wear out and need to be replaced. Not fair to blame this on the car really.

I think it is a shame a lot of people in this country give up on cars when they get a bit cheap, because they still could have a lot of life left in them if treated with a little tlc.

Saying that though, I wouldn't drive a diesel unless doing high mileage if the priorities were keeping potential costs down.

Thanks to Over Carl

BIG-TED (17th June 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

re coding only tell the ecu what the injector was doing at new. Imagine a graph x-y axis the "code" is in hex it tells the ecu what the flow of the injector should be at a certain pressures. As your injector wears the coding is pretty useless any way. The coding is nothing to do with immobilizers or anything is is just a fueling thing. On older stuff you can swap injectors over without too many problems.

Ted
    Lots of my repairs and pictures of retro stuff on my twitter.

https://twitter.com/Big_ted1?t=s9zEZ...Z-npEyeKA&s=09

Thanks to BIG-TED

DejaVu (17th June 2015)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

How about cleaning them out with an ultrasonic bath TED and reusing the same ones? Push come to shove, I'll replace the "501" injectors I have for 2nd hand ones that aren't playing up, from a seized engine.

Thanks
    Karma Level

One of the pit falls that these engines suffered was injectors staying open and the engine hydraulicing on that cylinder then a slightly bent con rod.
    I've also had a transit with the same engine in melted a piston due to over fueling, so be careful when cleaning your own, they need to be spotless before they go back together human hair can hold things open and cause issues, filters go down to microns.

Got a picture somewhere.

this was sent from tapatalk if it makes no sense...

Thanks to BIG-TED

Over Carl (17th June 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

https://twitter.com/Big_ted1/status/...812971520?s=09

Couldn't upload pic on tapatalk so used twitter. You can see the first piston ring with the crown of the piston missing. The melted aluminum didn't do the turbo much good either.

this was sent from tapatalk if it makes no sense...
    Last edited by BIG-TED; 17th June 2015 at 09:34 PM.

2 Thanks given to BIG-TED

DejaVu (17th June 2015),  Over Carl (17th June 2015)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Well, because I'm a chancer, I've ordered the proper Diesel Injector socket and an ultrasonic cleaner (with fluid). I've read mixed reviews on DIY cleaning, but I feel there is no harm in trying.

Worst case I make them worse, but I have a full set of 2nd hand 501s available from a written off Mondy I can collect on Saturday afternoon.

Will post up results once I've done it. (Lots of DIYers never post results!)

At the moment the engine cuts out at 40mph in 4th or anything above. I have to be very light on acceleration at all times.