Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ACL

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default ACL

So had my MRI results back today with the Dr, who advised me of a tear in the ACL and a double tear in the Meniscus. Along with a slightly deformed Tibia at the top which right in the middle at the back is home to a benign tumour.

Sounds worse than it is, I've been living with it since Feb when I injured it in a fall. Although walking for short distance is about all I can do, so I guess pretty debilitating.

So he's sending me for a camera to start with, and then booking in for a ACL reconstruction, along with the Meniscus either repair or removal.

Anyone had similar, as obviously quite common?

What should I expect in terms of local/general anaesthetic? Recovery time to get off the crutches and then rehab importance etc.

Any info would be good.

Thanks all!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: ACL

right...........well i snapped my ACL and sliced my meniscus in two in 2006, my knee is screwed but i think thats more to do with the fact that the surgeons stitched my meniscus in the hope that it will heal (it never has)

the surgery, well you will be under if you have full construction and then will have local also in your upper thigh area i think and also around the knee. you will have around 4 incisions, one will be to pump saline into your knee area to blow it up so they can work, and then i think one for a camera, one for getting to your hamstring to get 2 of the tendons of the 5 you have in your hamstring (so your hamstring will be weak and you will have to work that harder to recover that) and then that is screwed into place.

So depending on the damage there will be one of 2 big incisions, the tidy one which is what i had is where they cut around 2 inches below the knee cap and slice around 3 inches across and get in there and cut out the old ACL and screw in the new. if its a bit more messy you may have the cut my mate had which will take a little longer to recover as they slice down the centre of the kneecap and move the kneecap aside to clean the area out and replace the ACL.

you will be kept in overnight and will be released after being given a quick session on how to walk on the crutches and off you go home.

you will be on crutches for around 4-6 weeks maybe less depending on how you get on with recovery. the physio sessions start immediately, i would say ensure you do a lot of the exercises at home and dont be lazy because the physios will know and also as i found out first hand they will FORCE your leg to fully lock out because the hardest thing i found was to get your full extension back and hyper-extension back to get as close as you can to your good leg.

within a week of leaving you will also have any staples removes from the bigger incision if you have had staples put in, do make sure a few hours before that you take some painkillers because i didnt and get just plucked those badboys out and it stings.

most important thing is to push yourself to a point but dont go too far because it will only delay your recovery. if i think of anyhting else i will let you know and if you have any questions about anything in particular just ask mate.

p.s total recovery is between 9 - 12 months before you can go back to doing full activity on your knee

Thanks to pratman

BigBrand (3rd June 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ive got my op scheduled in for the first week of July. I tore my ACL a while back playing football and since then popped my knee several times causing the meniscus to tear. I'm getting mine treated on private via AXA and the surgeon is FIFA accredited. He said he'll cut out some of my hamstring and build an ACL from that and repair the torn meniscus. I'll be off crutches within a week, runing within 3 months and back to football around 10 months.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the post that's really informative!

Probably more than I found on the internet. So looking a few weeks off work? As need to make arrangements etc for when I have it.

Might as well cancel my gym membership, won't be smashing the machines much then!

Thanks very much, all sounds spot on from what I've read, always good to hear it first hand from someone who'd had it!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

if its a full reconstruction then yeah i would say 4 weeks off work because its critical you work hard at getting the leg to lock out and do your exercises and ensure you visit all physio sessions.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I got my ACL reconstructed last Monday. The procedure took around an hour and I was discharged the next day. The most painful and scariest thing was having a catheter inserted, I was struggling on the night to empty my bladder and I had no choice but to get one put in.

The surgeon drilled a 37mm tunnel in my tibia and a 40mm tunnel in the femur. A hamstring graft was then pulled through the tunnels and fixed with screws. I had a lot of damaged meniscus which couldn’t be repaired so was removed.

I started to walk without my crutches after day 5 of the surgery. My knee and shin are swollen and heavily bruised. I’ve been told to keep active and to do the strengthening exercises at least 5 times a day but not to overdo it.

If you aren’t squeamish, here’s a vid of my operation from inside the knee.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Fascinating video! How did you obtain that?

I'm still waiting on my surgery date, been waiting around 6 weeks, been for pre op assessment and had piss/swabs etc all done. How long should I expect to wait for the Op?

Thanks
    Karma Level

The surgeon gave me a copy of it on disc when he came to see me the next day.

I went through my private medical cover we get at work and I was given a date for 3 days after my pre op assessment.

I wasn't prepared for it so soon so asked for a date a month down the line, this gave me time to sort out bits and bobs at work and to also work on my legs at the gym.

If you haven't got a date yet start building up your legs, your good and your bad.

Can you not push for a date via your GP?

Also do you know how they are going to repair your ACL?

Thanks
    Karma Level

18 weeks used to be the limit for surgery from the day your doc refers you, cant wait longer than that without the hosp getting fined.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by H4ss4n View Post
    The surgeon gave me a copy of it on disc when he came to see me the next day.

I went through my private medical cover we get at work and I was given a date for 3 days after my pre op assessment.

I wasn't prepared for it so soon so asked for a date a month down the line, this gave me time to sort out bits and bobs at work and to also work on my legs at the gym.

If you haven't got a date yet start building up your legs, your good and your bad.

Can you not push for a date via your GP?

Also do you know how they are going to repair your ACL?

Ah right OK, will push the GP for a date then, as presume the date will be a few weeks ahead anyway.

I'm going off what I remember, he said the ACL will need repairing with your hamstring and the meniscus either side will see at the time, if to remove it or not. What are the alternatives if they don't repair the ACL? Thought it was a pretty simple Op.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrand View Post
    Ah right OK, will push the GP for a date then, as presume the date will be a few weeks ahead anyway.

I'm going off what I remember, he said the ACL will need repairing with your hamstring and the meniscus either side will see at the time, if to remove it or not. What are the alternatives if they don't repair the ACL? Thought it was a pretty simple Op.
    I was given the option of having a donor hamstring or the use of mine. Find how yours is going to get done and what are the surgeons expectections.

When does he want you to be full weight bearing (without crutches)?

What is the plan for physio (I've been given weekly goals by my physio, so by week 1 off crutches, week 2 start squats and lunges etc..)

Thanks to H4ss4n

BigBrand (2nd August 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Had my left ACL done on Tuesday just gone (Patellar Tendon Graft) I snapped my right one about 10 years ago and had the Hamstring Tendon Graft ... I've got to say, things must have come on leaps and bounds as I'm in less pain this time around.

Stayed in hospital overnight as I had my op in the early afternoon - although the consultant did say that if I had been able to get into the O.T early morning there was a chance I'd be home that evening.

2 things to be mindful about

1. first time you stand up / put weight onto your foot, you may feel a little woozy (I had to take two attempts) - i think its your body going into shock

2. taking a shit .... near impossible with your leg straight so you have to really work at going for one sideways - but bare in mind the anesthetic bounds you over - so the first time you actually manage to go - strap yourself in, its going to be fun

I'm not sure about you guys, but I had a cyro cuff the first time, this time, I've opted for a good old Ice pack / bag of peas - along with a regular cocktail of Paracetamol and Ibuprofen

I start my physio this coming Tuesday and my staples removed in another week - not looking forward to that

If you haven't already got enough - go get yourself several pairs of shorts and thin t-shirts, its all you're going to be living in for a month or so after the op

Oh, and if you don't wear briefs - go buy yourself a pair of cotton pants - because you'll be asked to wear what can only resemble a child's hair net during the op if you don't - and - they're the most uncomfortable things ever !

Good luck
    Last edited by alankirk01; 2nd August 2015 at 12:22 PM.

Thanks to alankirk01

BigBrand (23rd September 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

How did I miss your post?

So sorry for that, how are you getting on from a physio perspective.

I've finally got my date through, Nov 12th!

Thanks for your advice and important notes, I'd rather not wear a hair net ha! Cotton briefs? No boxers allowed? I've got plenty of short and T shirts so should be right. Have the mother weighing on me, as I'm moving back in as I'm having the op done in Manchester, where I've just moved from, so currently living in Norwich!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I will try and remember to put a bigger reply on this when I am not on my phone.

I have had an ACL and PCL graft. About 4 cartilage operations my foot rebuilt and heal cut off and realigned. My achilies tendon cut and lengthened and my toes tendons cut and toes pined..

On the 7th October I go in to have my right ankle fused as well.

Bones suck....

As someone said above just keep moving it as advised. The most traumatic thing I went through was having to bend it to 90 degrees before they would discharge me and the psychotic physio that I nearly punched. The bandages were crusted onto my skin and were pretty much tearing it off. Eventually she agreed to remove the strapping and I bent it without any issues.

Cunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hahah! Fucking hell. Sounds horrific!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

It was.
    I am in Wednesday to have the ankle screwed together. Looks like 12 fucking weeks on crutches this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ouch!

I;m having my op 19th Nov.

Thanks
    Karma Level

ACL2006.jpg

Detached my ACL June 2006 playing football had surgery hamstring graft key hole surgery December 2006 "due to work commitments postponed it till Xmas holidays" (Spire/B.U.PA. so could select dates) .
    one main incision, 5 small camera entry points now faded
    walking next day no crutches about a year before swelling totally went and back to normal barring a bit of permanent numbness
    My Actual post operation X-ray titanium bolt!!
    swelling was worse for me Physio for 6 months

Thanks to kofi

BigBrand (24th October 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Not sure what happened last night by knee gave way turning out a lift on a wet floor, think my cap slipped to one side and back again. Either way as of last night, I'm unable to open my knee now from the bent position, it's pretty sore, but not unbearable. I can't place any weight on it at all, and I'm a bit fucking stuck really.

Working 250 miles away from home, currently in a top floor city apartment, on my own with no crutches or anything.

Due to the fact I can't open my knee up and there is lots of popping and movement, is it worth a call to A&E? Or is it likely they won't touch me till 19th?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd get it checked it. You might have torn your meniscus. I did the same thing running for the tube. Ended up totally screwing up my meniscus. They might even fast track your appointment if it is bad.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Social Networking Bookmarks