Close

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Advice Laptop under warranty - HP refusing to repair under warranty

So....i'm not a happy chappie

Bought an HP Elitebook 8470p on Ebay approx 3 months ago - it came with a standard HP warranty until June 2016 which I checked online after purchase. Thought this was enough cover. I didn't need an HP Care Pack or so I thought..

Well last week, i shut the laptop down as normal, then the next day, powered it on, and it's just a green screen. Plug it into an external monitor and the picture is there ok. no data loss, all good.

So called HP, and its arranged to be picked up the very next day. So far so good. I am informed it might take 2 further weeks until it is repaired as it is flown to Poland for the repair.

Today, got my call. The LCD Panel is faulty and is not covered by the warranty. Charge is £69 ex VAT for the repair. They have emailed me a quote which i have to accept or decline.

Can anyone tell me what the point is!! If I had an HP Care Pack i'm sure it would have been covered.

Should I be kicking up a fuss and has anyone else had this happen to them?

I accept that with an Ebay purchase I am taking a risk so perhaps this is me being caught out as I have no idea where it was before, but the laptop itself looked in excellent condition.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Laptop under warranty - HP refusing to repair under warranty

For starters, that's an incredibly cheap for an LCD repair at a manufacturers repair centre, at Toshiba they were rarely under £200 (even though I could do them for under £100 at home) and at Sony they were often £400+!

Have they explained what the problem is and why it has happened? If they have found liquid ingress or signs of physical damage then it will be out of warranty. You need to know why it is out of warranty to argue your case either way.

Thanks to evilsatan

OurPuma (12th June 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah as Satan said need to know cause of damage.

I have had it that the manufacture claimed they suspected there was something on the keyboard and when shut lid pressed on the screen causing an internal leak in the screen so said was accidental damage, I moaned and moaned and got the replacement for 1/2 the cost in the end but out of good will not from them taking liability.

£69 is pretty cheap but its principle as well ain't it sometimes

Thanks to akimba

OurPuma (12th June 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Had a couple of laptop retailers try the same on me. Acer & HP. I dug my heels in and when I started quoting text from Trading Standards both of them did a U turn and repaired without charge.
    Acer even lied and said a Junior employee had mixed the laptops up which is why they thought mine was water damage. Load of bullshit imho
    Might not work but its worth a try.

Thanks to piggzy

OurPuma (12th June 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Defo get the reason it not covered and ask for photos.

Any LCD with black ink effect = damaged
    any LCD that is not working then should be covered under manufactures warranty.

Get the info/pics about LCD before you rhyme of T+C's / Trading Standards so if you do need to contact them you can supply the photos / info they sent you via email ect.

Thanks to TotallyRandom

OurPuma (12th June 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TotallyRandom View Post
    Defo get the reason it not covered and ask for photos.

Any LCD with black ink effect = damaged
    any LCD that is not working then should be covered under manufactures warranty.

Get the info/pics about LCD before you rhyme of T+C's / Trading Standards so if you do need to contact them you can supply the photos / info they sent you via email ect.
    - yes the panel was mostly green in colour with vertical black lines running from left to right - each time I pressed keys on the keyboard it would change the amount of vertical black lines on the panel - so it does sound damaged. It just was no accident!
    - I have no pics - I should have taken some ....dammit!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well I have gone back to HP - I had to call them to chase.

I asked them why the laptop's lcd panel is not covered under warranty - apparently it has had some accidental damage to the panel and the normal warranty doesn't cover for this - this I understand - no issues with this.

Also why the lcd panel has failed - she said it looks like there had been pressure applied to several areas of the lcd panel for it to fail - this sounds bollox, i have barely touched the lcd at all.

So I have raised a complaint and told them the laptop was shutdown on a desk and switched on the next morning on a desk and so there could not have possibly been an accident involving pressure to the lcd panel in that timeframe. She has raised it to her manager I believe.

Apparently, this will only delay the fix and I could still end up paying but it is all about the principle!!

Yes it seems a pretty cheap price to pay for the panel to be replaced but the point is it is under warranty and its a flipping elitebook not a £199 laptop from Acer.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Keep on at erm, eventually they will compromise in some way with you after all its HP not Apple ;-)

Thanks to akimba

DejaVu (12th June 2015)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Mix up of information. They are always using the excuse of a cracked screen to get out of repairing the LCD and try to blame the owner for mistreating it.

Stick to your guns and they'll agree in the end, a green screen is not a cracked screen!

If its accidentally cracked and its obvious, they won't help. As for 'pressure' with no cracks, no way to prove that.

Sounds like a garden path walk by the phone operator to me.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ask how they know that is pressure damage - there must be physical signs, have they looked at this under a microscope or something? If so ask for pics of the damage proving its pressure damage not just screen failure.

Thanks to blacksheep

Over Carl (12th June 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

3mnths old was it a refurb ? even if it was it is still under warranty Don't just quote the rights, say this… "according to the Sale of Goods Act 1979".

Every time you buy something, be it a mobile phone from a mate or a week in Cuba from a travel agent, you make a contract with the seller.
    Both you and the other party agree to terms and conditions. The seller has agreed to provide your 'statutory rights'.

Fit for purpose AND last a reasonable length of time
    Do not be fobbed off and pay up

read this http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sho...exchange#goods

Thanks to the ghost

Over Carl (17th June 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

quick update, got an email on monday saying my case has been escalated to the 'Customer Relations Team' and they will get back to me.

got an email late on today (Wednesday) to say my unit has been shipped. And...'You will be updated on the precise repairs performed via a letter herewith the product.'

So fingers crossed it has been fixed for free as it should.

Thanks to OurPuma

Over Carl (17th June 2015)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

This is what pisses me off about large corporations. It's probably cheaper for them to just do the repairs than employ a team to deal with the disputes. There are probably at least 3 people on at least £30k a year in that team ffs. How many repairs could they just do without getting their nickers in a twist for £90k

Thanks
    Karma Level

I can't help to boot in on this conversation!
    Now a days big enterprise companies will have 3 to 5 people to do the job that 1 can do and the fact that £ 69 were asked to pay means that they are doing it quite regularly as is better getting something rather than nothing!

Anyway just get what you can whenever you can from the big boys.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've pointed this out to many companies (including local council - but woah betide cutting back on jobs).

Ive had barclaycard give me 3-4 "gestures of goodwill" over a fucked up fraudulent transaction at £50 a pop. I think the transaction was £10 or something. But it's easy for them and they're authorised to do this to keep the customer happy rather than try fix the real issue.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Would have cost more than £69 to send the numerous e-mails saying they wouldn't do it

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's not just salary, it's desk space - offshoring costs next to nothing for a desk compared to one in central London and salary is a fraction, literally about 4:1.

Thanks
    Karma Level

At end of the day the big companies usually give into the customer I find as the cost of repair/replace versus potential bad publicity usually weights in the favour of the repair.

In the current world any bad publicity goes round the world like wildfire, people post it on twitter, facebook etc and new customers are put off. "I wouldn't buy a HP as they not honour the warranty etc" is enough to sway a piss pool of new potential clients to buy a Dell or something else instead.

That's why I said keep on at them ;-)

My wife woke up the other morning and her phone had melted at the charger port luckily it looks like the charger got so hot it blew the fuse else would of been a lot worse and potentially a fire while we were sleeping. Anyhow the company involved have been on the ball so far and are collecting the phone for analysis so lets see if they keep up their customer friendly approach ;-)

Thanks to akimba

OurPuma (24th June 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Absolutely couldn't fault the company in question sent phone back Friday and got a new one waiting for me when got in yesterday, "Were sorry about your old phone and as this is so old we have upgraded you to our newest model" ;-)

Thanks
    Karma Level

So I got an email on Thursday last week saying my notebook had been repaired and shipped.

The notebook arrived on Friday and I managed to test late on Sunday evening and all well and good - the LCD panel working as it should! All-in-all the notebook has been away for approx 16 days i think.

Thank fook for that - and thank you guys for keeping me right and sticking to my guns!

They wanted me to take a survey so I filled it in - bluntly!