So....i'm not a happy chappie

Bought an HP Elitebook 8470p on Ebay approx 3 months ago - it came with a standard HP warranty until June 2016 which I checked online after purchase. Thought this was enough cover. I didn't need an HP Care Pack or so I thought..

Well last week, i shut the laptop down as normal, then the next day, powered it on, and it's just a green screen. Plug it into an external monitor and the picture is there ok. no data loss, all good.

So called HP, and its arranged to be picked up the very next day. So far so good. I am informed it might take 2 further weeks until it is repaired as it is flown to Poland for the repair.

Today, got my call. The LCD Panel is faulty and is not covered by the warranty. Charge is £69 ex VAT for the repair. They have emailed me a quote which i have to accept or decline.

Can anyone tell me what the point is!! If I had an HP Care Pack i'm sure it would have been covered.

Should I be kicking up a fuss and has anyone else had this happen to them?

I accept that with an Ebay purchase I am taking a risk so perhaps this is me being caught out as I have no idea where it was before, but the laptop itself looked in excellent condition.