Close

View Poll Results: are these machines gambling or harmless fun?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • gambling and should be regulated like cash fruities

2 16.67%
  • harmless fun for all ages

8 66.67%
  • never seen them

2 16.67%
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Arcade ticket and prize machines

This is something ive wondered about on and off for sometime.

Over the past few years it seems that these machines like prize grabber and fruit machines that spit out tickets instead of cash have exploded in arcades. Hundreds of different designs like the claw grabber, fruit machines that have tickets for prizes and the ones where you have to cut string to win the hanging prize. ive even now seen them where you have to push the prize via a keyhole that you are supposed to stop it on.

What im wondering is are these machines gambling and should they be regulated accordingly?
    They tickets that add up to needing a million tickets for a pen im sure wouldnt be worth a maximum prize of over £8 but what about ones that give away ipods, cameras and the like?

Is it gambling or is it a bit of harmless fun that all ages can enjoy?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Fruit machines

In England and Wales, if you are under 16, you can go into arcades but must not play on fruit machines giving a £10 or more cash payout.
    If you are between 14-18 you can go into a pub, but you are not allowed to play on fruit machines with a cash payout of £10 or more. A sign stating that the machines are restricted to over-18s must be displayed.
    There is no lower age limit for playing on fruit machines with a maximum cash or token prize of up to £8.
    In Northern Ireland, there is no lower age limit for playing on fruit machines with a maximum cash prize of £8 in amusement arcades and similar premises. The maximum prize in a pub is £15 cash. There is no legal age restriction on playing fruit machines in pubs, but different premises may have different rules.
    bbshark. The Member with the first ever DF Fine

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Arcade ticket and prize machines

the games with prizes are classed as "skill" machines ticket machines are just fun games which spit out tickets which the kids can exchange for shitty sweets/toys I dont read much into it the kids enjoy themselves so as far as i'm concerned job done.

Thanks to consoles

Zoots (28th June 2015) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

all classed a swp skill with prizes no lower age limit but a big ripoff take a normal claw machine with teddies etc in usually set at a ratio of 1 in 400

Thanks
    Karma Level

fruit machines are not games of skill just because they give out tickets and any game that as a ratio of winning means that your taking a gamble that you are using the winning grab.

My kids also enjoy them but it got me thinking that anything that you cannot control the outcome is a form of gambling. I can hit the teddy on the grabbers 99% of the time but if they are not going to pay out then it doesnt matter how much "skill" you have.
    Definition of skill in English:

noun

[MASS NOUN]1The [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] to do something well; [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]:

difficult work, taking great skill
    Do fruit machines that payout cash need skill to win? turn them into tickets instead of cash does that now make it skill? Fruit machines usually have a ratio of 70% some of these grab machines pay out at a really low rate.
    I watched just a couple of months ago a grabber take about £20 before i had a go and then i put around £5 in and this was at 30p a go. (was a oleg that the wife said i had to get pfft) the one that was on before me said he had also watched someone put a few quid in. the teddy would have probably cost the a couple of pounds with buying in massive bulks.

Thing is would it lead to kids going on to gambling on real machines?

Definition of gamble in English:

verb

[NO OBJECT]1[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] of chance for money; [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]:he gambles on [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCESSYNONYMS

1.1[WITH OBJECT] [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] (a sum of money):they gambled their money on cardsMORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES

2Take [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] action in the hope of a [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] result:

he was gambling on the success of his [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    bbshark. The Member with the first ever DF Fine

Thanks
    Karma Level

Even those grabber machines are gambling. They are designed so that the claw only has full strength when it is ready to pay out. Same as fruit machines imo and its a way of slowly encouraging children into games of chance.

Its better to burn out than to fade away...............

Thanks
    Karma Level

Also in pubs it states you can play games of skill for small sums (hence why you can now play poker) - some of these machines have fairly pricey prizes, are they operating under the same rules?

Thanks
    Karma Level

swps ie quiz machines wih a max payout of £50 are a grey area kids technically can play them but most major pub chains dont allow.a fruir machine that is classed as cat d
    usally 10p play £5 jackpot can also be played by kids but obv these are % based on payout lowest % in uk is 70%

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Just teach your kids how it's a rip off and prove it by showing them how much cash buys how much product in tickets compared to a shop, then they can just have fun plying the games and the tickets are just a bonus rather than the aim of the games. I find some of these games quite fun/chaotic so play for that reason rather than the tickets. One was a game where you stop an LED on a wheel and it pumps up a huge baloon, the aim is to get it so large that it hits a plastic ripsaw and pops. It was quite easy to win on but the fun was succeeding as it is loud and full of confetti (I'm pretty immature )