Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Thailand backpacker murders

The father of murdered British backpacker Hannah Witheridge has wept as graphic photos of her body lying on a Thai beach were shown in court.

Tony Witheridge bowed his head as bloody images of his daughter's body were shown on the third day of the trial of two Burmese migrants.
    Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo deny murdering Miss Witheridge, 23, from Norfolk and David Miller, 24, from Jersey.
    Their bodies were found on a beach on the island of Koh Tao last September.

A forensic police officer told the trial of the severe injuries Miss Witheridge suffered and evidence she had been raped.
    Mr Miller's body was discovered with severe head injuries several metres away, he said.

BBC correspondent Jonah Fisher said Miss Witheridge's father and brother sat with their heads bowed as the evidence was presented in court but continued listening.

"Thai courts make little allowance for the feelings of relatives," he said.
    "So for an hour the families of Hannah Witheridge and David Miller looked and listened as crime scene pictures were shown in court."

Zaw Lin, front, and Wai Phyo (also known as Win Zaw Htun), rear, arrive at the court in Koh Samui

Speaking at the court, Mr Miller's father Ian said he and his wife Sue had come "with an open mind", adding that it had been an emotional time for the family.
    "There has been lots of chit-chat on the internet. We are here for David because of his tragic death.
    "We'll go with the flow as much as we can. We won't comment on the trial process. We'll be dignified for David."
    Mrs Miller said: "It's been hard, very hard. Part of the reason for coming out, was to go to Koh Tao. We had one day on Koh Tao, it was really hard."

Confessions retracted

The court is expected to hear what happened to vital DNA evidence that links the two Burmese defendants to Miss Witheridge's body.
    Thai police have previously told the BBC how crucial DNA evidence in the case cannot be retested because it no longer exists.
    The deputy chief of Suratthani provincial police, Police Colonel Somkiat Kaewmook, told Reuters: "There are materials that are finished in the testing process, [which] means they [do] not exist.

"But those remaining that are solid, sizable and returnable items will be there and we will send them to the court."

The tourists' bodies were found on a beach on the island of Koh Tao last September, sparking a major police investigation and intense local and international pressure to find those responsible.

Mr Zaw and Mr Wai (also known as Win Zaw Htun), both 22, were arrested several weeks later.

They are said to have confessed to the crime but later retracted their statements.
    The defendants have repeatedly stated their innocence over the murders, with the defence alleging they were framed.
    Verdicts in the case are not expected until October.

Have you joined the DF discord server. https://discord.com/invite/YajVGQxDaw

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Thailand backpacker murders

I have seen these pictures myself on liveleak and i cant imagine what that's like to see your child in that condition.
    I don't advise anyone to look for it as it's EXTREMELY disturbing images.

But have those arrested been setup to make it appear they have caught the criminals?
    Strange how DNA has dissipated.
    Have you joined the DF discord server. https://discord.com/invite/YajVGQxDaw

Thanks
    Karma Level

I was in Koh Tao a couple of months after. I had read the conspiracy about the chief's son being involved. The club that the chief owned and run was closed and in a state of disrepair, seemed a little fishey to me. Some internal justice, I suspected.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Whatever the truth is, i feel for the father having to see his daughter like that, and live through this, absolutely horrific.

Thanks to ilscuro

jw_2000_uk (11th July 2015)