Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Need a decent camera for sports shots/general pics

I have never really had a camera before but i want to take shots of my lad who is at a League one football club.

I would also use it for normal stuff like the car and pics of the Famalam etc.

After a google i saw the Nikon d3200.

Can anyone give me some advice who knows their camera stuff as it looks such a minefield.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Need a decent camera for sports shots/general pics

For a beginner you don't want a DSLR. Probably the best all rounder would be a bridge camera that has the fantastic optical zoom and the clarity of an entry level DSLR without having to understand the photographic triangle of aperture:shutter speed:iso ratios.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quite possibly the best recent bridge camera was the Fujifilm. No other brand has such good lenses against price and image quality and features. Image resolution isn't as important as optical clarity. Don't be fooled by marketing hype.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Bouché View Post
    I have never really had a camera before but i want to take shots of my lad who is at a League one football club.

I would also use it for normal stuff like the car and pics of the Famalam etc.

After a google i saw the Nikon d3200.

Can anyone give me some advice who knows their camera stuff as it looks such a minefield.
    Fujifilm bridge camera with fujinon lense and a good solid monopod for sports and high zoom factor. Optical clarity is more important than digital resolution. There is no substitute for a quality clear close-up of that winning shot made by sharp focus and steady hand (monopod). A high res camera with a standard lense couldn't come close on that quality.

Thanks to ProShotUK

Bobby Bouché (14th September 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

OK I know its a late reply but just to let you know you won't be able to take photos of your son playing, warming up or anything. The football league has a body called football dataco who protect the image rights for football league and premiership meaning that you can't take photos without a licence. All those guys you see round the pitch taking photos has a licence or are shooting on behalf of someone with a licence or agency with a licence. This even includes the reserves, under 21 teams and youth temas. Football dataco even goes as far as those with point and shoot cameras in the stands shouldn't be taking photos but most clubs allow it as stopping people taking photos would be a nightmare but rock up with a DSLR and you should get spoken to. Saying that I took a 500D with 18-250 (I think) to Wembley and shot in the stands and wasn't spoken to and then took a 1Dmk4 with 24-70 to Wigan and took a few snaps there too as they were relegated and had the FA cup at the last game of the season a few years ago.

So with all that in mind what should you buy to take photos of your son playing league football? None you should be able to do it.

What should you buy to take photos of your son from the stands probably a super zoom compact. will it work? probably not it is not quick enough for focusing and the poor light levels you get during winter and under flood lights your photos will be blurred moving objects most likely.

So what should you buy? I would buy a smallish DSLR and a long range zoom and hope for the best that you don't get spoken to and caught. it will give you the best chance of getting photos that you will be happy with.

I have shot league football for an agency so have an idea of the hoops to jump through to get a licence and it is pretty much impossible due to the chicken and egg requirements.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup: