Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC Sport No panic signings, says Van Gaal

Louis van Gaal's biggest signing this summer was the £31m move for PSV winger Memphis Depay

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal says he will not make any panic signings before the transfer window closes on Tuesday evening.

United
    lost 2-1 at Swansea
    on Sunday and have scored just three goals in four league games.

"You can never speak as a club like Manchester United that you are satisfied," Van Gaal said.

But he added: "We shall not buy another player that we have not scouted before."

Van Gaal has spent around £80m on players this summer but after
    selling Robin van Persie to Fenerbahce
    and
    not replacing Radamel Falcao,
    he is short of striking options.

Captain Wayne Rooney
    scored a hat-trick
    in a comfortable Champions League win over Club Brugge in midweek but has not scored in the Premier League since April and wasted several good chances at the Liberty Stadium.

United, who are five points behind leaders Manchester City, continue to be linked with several strikers but Van Gaal does not expect any last-minute moves.

"We know already in advance what is happening and what is not happening.

"We have to keep on and in January the windows are open again. It is a process. I cannot change that process.

David De Gea has won player of the year at Old Trafford for the past two season, but has not played this campaign

"You are dependable not only on the player you want but the club and also what you want to spend. It is a lot of things you cannot force."

Goalkeeper David De Gea was again not involved as he continues to be linked with a move to Real Madrid.

But with the Spanish transfer window closing at midnight on Monday - 18 hours before the English window shuts on Tuesday evening - Van Gaal said he was not involved in any discussions.

"We have to wait and see but I don't want to interfere," he said.

"As a manager we have divided our tasks and the task is for [United executive vice-chairman] Ed Woodward and not for me."

New striker 'has to happen'

United's poor attacking display at the Liberty Stadium left former captain Gary Neville calling for urgent action in the transfer market.

The England coach said on Sky Sports: "If [Javier] Hernandez leaves, they've got one striker. I'm not classing Marouane Fellaini as a striker. They've got one striker in Wayne Rooney.

"From Manchester United's point of view, they have to resolve the centre-forward and the goalkeeper situation in the next two days.

"Hopefully it means they keep De Gea and they sign a striker.

"I would have said,
    having let Jonny Evans go
    [to West Brom], they need a centre-back as well but to do three pieces in the next 48 hours I think will be nigh-on impossible.

"But I'd be absolutely staggered if there wasn't a striker brought in. It has to happen."

Last edited by Nikki; 31st August 2015 at 05:49 PM.