Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Advice Best 2 in 1 Tablet/Laptop

My mum's old Sony FW is on it's last legs, and for a while I've thought one of those 2 in 1 thingies would suit her perfectly as most of her usage would probably be more comfortable on a tablet, but she does do a little typing here and there.

I've got an idea of a rough spec in my head, was wondering if anyone knows of anything decent that will fit the bill. Max spend probably around £5-600, open to suggestions of decent 2nd hand as well.

The bigger the screen the better. (Her current laptop has 17" widescreen so anything probably will initially be a disappointment until she gets used to it).
    Back to the screen, needs to be nice and bright with good colours as she sometimes watches films, but she wouldn't get on with silly high resolution screens as stuff is too small, and looks crap when run in lower res than the panel's native res.
    i5 or above - no Atom or i3's.
    Totally detachable keyboard would be nice, but if it is some sort of folding design she may go for it.
    HDMI port so can plug to TV
    Wired Ethernet port would be a bonus.
    Battery life of 2 1/2 hrs minimum.
    Normal 2.5" SATA drive would be highly preferable, even better if 2 can be put in there (small boot SSD and larger drive for films).
    Touchscreen would be nice but not essential as I don't know if she would use it.

Must be a fairly well known brand, I've found it's often very hard or impossible to get replacement parts for obscure models in the past.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Best 2 in 1 Tablet/Laptop

Surface Pro 3 rocks dude. Even the i3 model is fast and you can add storage with micro SD. Screen is beautiful and it seems Windows 10 was designed for it. Bit pricey but the Pro 4 is imminent so price will come down pretty quick. I got an i3 with the Pen for less than £500 a couple of weeks ago and it's fantastic. Oh and the Pen using the Edge browser as well is a dream. Nuff said.

Thanks to flik

Over Carl (9th September 2015)