Close

Thread: Sky vs BT

Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Sky vs BT

Hi,

My current deal with BT comes to an end next month and I was thinking of moving to Sky's fibre unlimited product for £10 per month. I am currently on Infinity 2 but line syncs at 33 meg so told BT there was no point paying for Infinity 2 and wanted to drop to Infinity 1. They quoted me £22.85 initially and although I have got them down to £17.85 so far, I still think it is expensive compared to Sky.

So the question is, does anyone have any experience with Sky broadband and is it any good. I have been very happy with BT over the last year, with actual throughput on my connection maxing out at 33 meg most of the time, even in the evenings. BT say their contention is 50:1 which is supposedly lower than Sky's so even if my line synced at the same rate as with BT, would the actual transfer speed be as good?

If anyone has any experience with Sky or how they compare to BT this will help me make my decision.

Cheers.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Sky vs BT

Contention ratio will affect your quality and speed as it is the amount of users sharing the bandwidth. I am happy with BT, we can't get Sky here though and still don't have fibre!! When asked who to use I say BT or Plusnet, the latter because their technical support is very good.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I would only go with BT or Sky due to the "Totally Unlimited" nature of their networks. I think Talk Talk offer a totally unlimited product too, but I have heard bad things about Talk Talk so I don't think I want to get into bed with them. At the end of the day, the copper from my house to the street cabinet connection and the fibre to the exchange wont change be it BT or Sky. However, if Sky have a higher contention or just a generally inferior network beyond the exchange then I guess that could have a bearing. Sync speed isn't everything and real world performance is just as important.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Avoid talk talk at all costs, they are in the same league as AOL. One thing worth considering, Sky will not officially support third party routers and will not give you your ADSL/VDSL login details. In the past there were utilities out there used to pull these settings from sky routers but not all were straightforward and there are so many different revisions of router it can be tricky to find the compatible utility!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I like the BT home hub 5. Not much you can do to configure it as it is very consumer based, but I like the Gig ports and the USB option for connecting a printer or storage. I got the password from my father in laws post office router just by using the inspect element option in Chrome. I guess it not so straightforward with the Sky router.

Thanks
    Karma Level

give me a mail mate if your looking to stay with bt, personally i would say bt but i am a bit biased, i did have bt and sky for there standard bb but with sky it just keep dropping connection and because no fibre i went to virgin media, but i would say bt was the best standard bb i have had in the past.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Definitely want to stay with BT as it's a known quantity and performance has been good at all times of the day with them. Just need to get the price a little nearer to Sky's. Don't expect BT to match it though, just a bit closer. trueblue924 shall I PM you an email address?

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm with sky on there fibre pro package. Extra tenner a month and faultless service. UK call centres which bt doesn't have, the main reason I left them

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

i will send you a pm mate, and to be honest 82% of the customer facing call centres will be based in the uk at the end of next year mate but i do agree trying to speak to the over seas call centres is just useless

Thanks to trueblue924

Tecpos (30th September 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

No point staying on Infinity 2 or moving to Sky Pro as my connection tops out at around 33 meg. UK call centres are nice but you only need them if you have a problem. Never had to call BT with a service issue in last 12 months so hope that situation continues.

Thanks
    Karma Level

got tecpos sorted out if anyone else is with bt give us a shout and i will see what i can do

Thanks to trueblue924

piggzy (30th September 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by trueblue924 View Post
    got tecpos sorted out if anyone else is with bt give us a shout and i will see what i can do

Not with BT but plan to move to them when my current contracts is up. Any offers about mate. I would be after Infinity 2. Currently with talk talk and NEVER again will I use a service from them. Bunch of cunts

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I switch betweeen sky and BT whenever my contracts run out to make use of the half price deals etc not much between them here get a pretty solid service from both.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I've not long got Sky's Fibre and get the maximum speed 38 - could get the pro but couldnt really justify the addtional 20 quid a month.

After many years of 5mbit I am so in my element!

Thanks
    Karma Level

piggzy best offers are online at the min let me know if you place an order as usally we can change the order once it is actually placed to around £21 but would have to have a look at the time mate

Thanks to trueblue924

piggzy (1st October 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Do you work for BT? I could do with some advice as I'm thinking of switching to BT from Sky.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i do mate more then happy to offer any kind of advice i can mate
    Last edited by trueblue924; 2nd October 2015 at 10:27 AM.

Thanks to trueblue924

TJB (2nd October 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

i do mate more then happy to offer any kind of device i can mate
    To cut a long story short, I live in a village served by two cabinets. One has fibre and one doesn't. I'm connected to the one that doesn't have fibre which means my broadband speed is roughly around 1mbps. I've had an Openreach engineer out and he reckons he could swap me to the cabinet with fibre fairly easily but he needs authorisation. Is there anything I could do to get them to swap me over? Thanks.

Thanks
    Karma Level

sorry mate i have never come accross this before will look into it for you seeif i can find anything out, as far as i know though it isnt possable for us to switch you to another cabinet

Social Networking Bookmarks