Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Setting up a Charity FunRun

Hi

I am looking to setup a charity fun run type event in my local area only thinking of about max 50 runners but not sure who I would need to contact about it i.e. Council, Police

Do I need to get a permit any costs for this etc, would I need public liability or would a waver from each participant be ok??

Any advice would be appreciated ;-)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Setting up a Charity FunRun

You will have to contact the council to request permission for these sorts of things unless it is entirely run on private land.

This website has lots of useful info : http://www.activenetwork.co.uk/event...alk-or-run.htm

I used to work for a sports charity and we used to get a lot of requests for these sorts of things although I wasn't directly involved as I was the IT man
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks to EvilBoB

akimba (6th November 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks Bob that's the sort of info I am after, I just emailed the local mayor for their advice of who to talk to etc. but they will only know their bits, still need to think about safety side logistics as is a mini triathlon type event so getting bikes in the right place etc.

Thanks
    Karma Level

A mate of mine runs a few mud obstacle events each year and I work with a few companies who organise triathlons.

It all depends how you want to do this, either a small event 50 people you and your mates running from a to b type thing should be fairly easy, running on pavements or in a park type thing you should just contact the council and make sure they are ok with it. Most will require some kind of public liability insurance which can vary some place will be happy with £1m others £5m but Roundhey park in leeds requires £10m for some reason (crazy) oulton park only wants £5m. Probably going to limit the amount of money you will raise due to numbers etc but will be a nice small event. A bit like a turn up and run park run thing nothing really organised like finish lines and catering or bib numbers and chip timing. The council will probably advise you of other events on the same date etc but you shouldn't need road closures or anything. mybe start with a non specific enquiry to them first and see how many hoops they want you to jump through.

If you plan to go all in and invite others to enter with event tshirts etc then you will probably want it a little more organised with bib numbers and chip timing (stuweb do chip timing an very good) you should be able to do 400ish for about £15 per head with a medal, tshirt bib numbers and water yes you need to provide a water station on the route for larger events. If you want help with this stuff I can put you in contact with places for finish line arch, chip timing, medals, tshirts, bib numbers etc. and if you want a photographer to shoot the event I can do that giving you a slice from sales if you want.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

Thanks to Little John

akimba (6th November 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nice one John its not going to be until 2nd April (rough date) but if need any merch then will contact you ;-) Think Bolton a bit far to come to do some picture taking tho :-o

its is going to be a small 50 max event the format is so its a fun thing.
    10 lengths of the local swimming pool (250 meters)
    Cycle 6.8 miles from pool back to local village (is B road all the way once out of the town)
    4 laps of the village high street (1.6 miles all road with pavement too)

For timings I was thinking of giving people playing cards different backs to the cards for each section and then when they got all 6 cards I get the finishing time. Also they throw away 1 card and the best poker hand wins a prize ;-)

Its to raise money for my niece who is a national cyclist under 16s (someone else on heres daughter does it too) so I was going to get badges made up with "I was beaten by a girl at the Nanothalon" for all those who finished after her.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just a few things for you to think about
    I think you need to look at organisation it is going to be a pretty big task for such a small event. Think about the logistics of having your transition areas in different places. At the pool you will need a secure area for the bikes to be stored giving participants easy access to get them after their swim. They will then do their cycle and you will need another secure area for them to put the bikes while they do the run.

The participants will need to get their kit for the run to the 2nd transition area before the event. the will also need to be able to get back to the pool to get the kit that they removed after the swim and before the cycle? and also back to the 2nd transition area to collect their bikes. 50 bikes take up a fair bit of space. keeping track of peoples belongings making sure people don't go away with someone else's kit etc.

I think you should look at having a single transition area probably at the pool where they park their bikes, the swim get on the bike cycle a loop back to the pool where they change for the run, run a loop back to the pool and finish or you will end up transporting people, bags or bikes all over the place.

Bike security
    Mark everyone with their entry number permanent marker, labels for their bike round the seat post or bars stem with their number and only that person can take their bike out the exit. yes you need it fenced and manned. they leave their bags and stuff with their bike in transition.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Little John View Post
    Just a few things for you to think about
    I think you need to look at organisation it is going to be a pretty big task for such a small event. Think about the logistics of having your transition areas in different places. At the pool you will need a secure area for the bikes to be stored giving participants easy access to get them after their swim. They will then do their cycle and you will need another secure area for them to put the bikes while they do the run.

The participants will need to get their kit for the run to the 2nd transition area before the event. the will also need to be able to get back to the pool to get the kit that they removed after the swim and before the cycle? and also back to the 2nd transition area to collect their bikes. 50 bikes take up a fair bit of space. keeping track of peoples belongings making sure people don't go away with someone else's kit etc.

I think you should look at having a single transition area probably at the pool where they park their bikes, the swim get on the bike cycle a loop back to the pool where they change for the run, run a loop back to the pool and finish or you will end up transporting people, bags or bikes all over the place.

Bike security
    Mark everyone with their entry number permanent marker, labels for their bike round the seat post or bars stem with their number and only that person can take their bike out the exit. yes you need it fenced and manned. they leave their bags and stuff with their bike in transition.
    Yeah bike security is a high priority, a lot of people don't have bikes so will be looking at a local company to rent bikes out so need to know they are getting them back :-0 I was thinking of hiring the sports hall at the leisure centre to hold the bikes in and that way only really 1 entrance in and out to monitor.

Is a bigger job than I thought tho am going to have a look at creating a committee to and start allocating tasks, downloaded a good fun run checklist thingy tho so got that to work with.

Need to make sure the idea floats as well am waiting on a reply from the police as the local council ok with it and need give people time for training as quite a few fat bastards about :-)