Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: building a media server from spare bits

Free Features

The basic functionality of Plex is available to all users. This includes setting up your media content on your Plex Media Server with rich and beautiful metadata, streaming content to Plex apps both locally and when away from home, sharing content with other Plex users, using Channels, and adding online content to your Watch Later queue among other things.
    doesnt this mean I can host all my shit on one PC and access from any device locally without dropping any bones?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post
    doesnt this mean I can host all my shit on one PC and access from any device locally without dropping any bones?
    Yes from looking at it you can use a free account to Stream locally and remotely, however you will need to pay for any apps you use on your devices
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical_2K View Post
    Yeah no worries mate, happy to help
    I am going to say that its most likely due to using wireless as im not sure if it has the bandwidth to handle full 1080p files (depending on size)
    You any good with sickbeard and couch potato??
    Would you be around tonight for a chat??

Thanks

Jaygo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by jaygo View Post
    You any good with sickbeard and couch potato??
    Would you be around tonight for a chat??

Thanks

Jaygo

I have used Sickbeard before (now using sonarr)
    havent used coach potato but i get the general idea.
    yeah i will be around tonight mate just give me a PM or something when your ready
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you can stomach it Plex on Ubuntu is very good. I run Ubuntu on a vSphere HP Microserver with 6gb allocated to it and nothing stutters or goes out of sync and I've had a few HD streams running at once. CPU climbs but doesn't really affect anything. Had issues in the past with Plex on Windows so decided to go to Ubuntu and never looked back. Once it's setup you never need to do anything with it. It's rock solid stable too.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by EvilBoB View Post
    If you can stomach it Plex on Ubuntu is very good. I run Ubuntu on a vSphere HP Microserver with 6gb allocated to it and nothing stutters or goes out of sync and I've had a few HD streams running at once. CPU climbs but doesn't really affect anything. Had issues in the past with Plex on Windows so decided to go to Ubuntu and never looked back. Once it's setup you never need to do anything with it. It's rock solid stable too.
    Good to know, when you said you had problems on Windows do you mean with the Plex Media Server or Plex Home Theatre (client) ?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

yeah i will be around tonight mate just give me a PM or something when your ready
    Thanks fella will do I've got teamviewer in sure it is for remote access.

Thanks

Jaygo

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Just sent you a pm fella

Thanks

Jaygo

Thanks
    Karma Level

From some morning googling I came to the conclusion that my best option to avoid paying for anything is to run a plex server and access it with Kodi running a plugin to allow it to access the plex shares...right?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by jaygo View Post
    Just sent you a pm fella

Thanks

Jaygo

apologies for not replying mate, half the fooking family descended on my house last night, will take a look for you later on

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

No worries just fired you another pm

Thanks

Jaygo

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The Gen8's are a bit expensive for me. Are there any other hp microservers for about 100 (diskless) that will do sabnzbd and sickbeard and kodi?

I know hard drives will cost a few hundred more but at the moment I'm just looking for diskless.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CallmeGoose View Post
    The Gen8's are a bit expensive for me. Are there any other hp microservers for about 100 (diskless) that will do sabnzbd and sickbeard and kodi?

I know hard drives will cost a few hundred more but at the moment I'm just looking for diskless.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
    You will get a Gen8 for Ģ100-130 mate if you wait for the cashback deals, thats what i did, they have the RAM, CPU etc. you just add your drives
    Otherwise you will be looking at something like the HP N54L Microserver for around Ģ80-100 2nd hand and diskless.
    Just had a look on ebay for you and the N54L seem to be holding their price quite well.
    Since i have 2x Gen8's and 1x N54L i am most likely going to upgrade the N54L to a Gen8 in the near future once the cashback deal is on.

Thanks to Mystical_2K

CallmeGoose (18th November 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

waiting for some cat5 now before I can move on as I want to remove a few wireless links, which should hopefully come tomorrow.

Seems ok running plexbmc on my ipad with the main pc as the server and plex client on my phone. A few more questions for anyone with more of a clue than me.

I have the option now of building the old core2duo up and running it as a server, I do have a case for it and as far as i can see (assuming it works) I can build it with no outlay, but, I will no doubt want to make it look flash with a sexy case so I'll guess I'll spend about 50 quid on that.

The Revo going to be a client for the TV in the living room as it's not a smart telly, but I can get an android stick for that which would probably do the job (and have Chinese guff preinstalled for the wife), so is it a viable option to run the Revo as the server and then just stick a cheap android stick in the telly? Only problem with that is I'd need to have to buy some USB HDD caddys.

so, to summarize

option 1 : Server on a core2duo pc, needs a new case. Revo / ipad / main PC and Smart TV running plexbmc or plex
    option 2 : Server on my Revo, buy an android stick as a client, same for the rest.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

If you read up it (as it looks like you are) in my opinion, Plex is a Kodi killer.

The best thing about Plex is the sharing and transcoding on the fly functionality.

The only thing I have gained from being a Plex Pass Lifetime member is being able to monitor what people are watching and getting early access to releases.

Getting free access to the Xbox and PlayStation apps is a bonus as well, but being a free user still allows you to share media with whoever you like via their Plex ID.

I've been using Plex for ages now and because I've been set up with CP, SonarR and Sab automatically gaining media when it's available and storing on my 12TB Octocore server. I have no need for Kodi and its streaming apps... Which is only really where Plex loses out in comparison. Plex tries to compete with Channels, but its selection is lame at best compared to Kodi.

Even still, Plex is fucking brilliant.

My Xbox One is wirelessly connected to my network and doesn't skip a beat no matter what I'm watching (transcodes on the fly to it).

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

2 Thanks given to DejaVu

jaygo (19th November 2015),  Lou_smorals (19th November 2015)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Anyone having problems with there plex just now??
    Mine has disconnected twice and is currently showing as offline. Trying to see if it could be anything that I've done but all I did was install SonarR and that's been running fine for a few days.

Thanks

Jaygo

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

sonarr shouldnt bother it mate its running fine here
    restart your server or try resetting plex itself
    make sure your not running plex on a drive thats doing any downloading etc. as it will affect the transcoding time
    preferably stick the transcoding tmp folder on an ssd (especially if you are getting multiple connections)

ps. is your sonarr working well now?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

sonarr shouldnt bother it mate its running fine here
    restart your server or try resetting plex itself
    make sure your not running plex on a drive thats doing any downloading etc. as it will affect the transcoding time
    preferably stick the transcoding tmp folder on an ssd (especially if you are getting multiple connections)

ps. is your sonarr working well now?
    Hi mate yeah my SonarR is working that well my vermin media has been throttled due to massive uploads.
    Also just ordered a 240gig SSD from Amazon and will be setting that up as the main hard drive and hopefully all will be sweeter than a nut.

Thanks

Jaygo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12