Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default new camera nikon d5300 for christmas

now all I need are some hints and tips on how to use it. currently it remains on auto setting and the image quality is ace, but 99.9% of the features as yet are a mystery.

does anyone have this camera?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: new camera nikon d5300 for christmas

Have a shufty here, it will give you an idea on how things work and how different setting affect the final image

http://www.exposureguide.com/photography-basics.htm

A good forum for Nikon owners

http://nikonites.com/forum/#axzz3NIwtFRaB

2 Thanks given to davey52

steiff1 (30th December 2014),  Teajunkie (18th January 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

the hole at the top on the back is for your eye, the big button on the top right makes pictures happen. Its easy.

Just go out and play with it first, dont bust your ass trying to understand every facet of its operation. To be honest after using a DSLR for about 6 years there are still plenty of functions on my current camera that I can just about use, but I certainly couldn't explain them to someone.

Look at other peoples photos that you like, ask yourself why you like them, can you replicate them and if so, find out how. A lot of time people get frustrated because they see an amazing countryside sunset photo or something but they live in the city and cant see the sun for shit.

2 Thanks given to {{909}}

steiff1 (30th December 2014),  Teajunkie (18th January 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yes i have the one and it's amazing to use and the way capturing

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by steiff1 View Post
    now all I need are some hints and tips on how to use it. currently it remains on auto setting and the image quality is ace, but 99.9% of the features as yet are a mystery.

Yes, my dad. He's an ex wedding film photographer and I am a Canon man but I teach him how to use his toy. Demystifying the additional features requires training. By now you should have figured out a few features and if not, sign up to the Institute of Photography (Manchester) courses. Worth every penny.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by steiff1 View Post

This isn't aimed at you personally. Please don't take offence at it. Hopefully it will discourage a few folks from doing something silly because they can afford the cameras... but:

Why people ever buy a DSLR without knowing what they are buying into is a mystery. It's like buying a formula 1 racing car and then asking for customer services help to drive it around your farm for you. A DSLR is not a point and shoot device. It is an elite designed machine for extremely precise image creation and practical capture of theoretic fantasies to express the views of the photographer who (presumably) has substantial understanding of the equipment bring used to achieve the aims he pouts the lenses at.

It just serves to prove that advertising and marketing does work and the most gullible people with more money than sense trip up and fall into the fetish world of digital imagery ten-upmanship. To get into the complete understanding of DSLR usage is to head to the top end of the highest end of top-range photography. You expect to meet and compete with extreme professionals and complete savant artists. Unless you intend to earn money from your photos (good luck with that) a DSLR is like a nuclear weapon in the hands of a rogue terrorist without a clue how to use it: pointless and damaging to the profession it belongs to.

If complete novices want to get into photography they should invest onto a bridge camera first if not just a compact. Leave the high end gear to the trained pros who know what they're doing. It'll save you a load of money and time.

The best way to think about folk who buy a dslr camera without training to use them is like handing keys of a corporate supersonic jet to a learner driver with experience of driving a car on their dad's lap as a child. It's not going to get the results they expect without training and years of practice and mistakes. Most will never progress beyond "portrait mode" and the vast majority will take a few hundred pics in jpeg format and not realise what RAW format can do for them.

This is where we pros suggest they pack it up in the box it came in and and it back to where it came from because they are too stupid to realise it's beyond their ability to use it... without spending a load of time, effort, reading, researching and video watching and probably a shed load of annoyance and money learning the meaning of bokeh and depth of field under constraints of ISO noise levels. If you understood that last bit, then and only then have you scratched the surface of digital photography.

There is the next issue of digital post - processing and computer hardware and software decisions but that my friend is for another fool. This one bought an EVF that looked like a DSLR and learned the hard way, which is why I am able to tell you about the journey of 3 years it took for me to navigate my way to starting photography beyond the built-in flash. Now this is where you truly discover what "painting with light" really means.

Photography is about how much darkness you capture and still show your subject in a perfect light (an oxymoron of oxymorons).

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

I came from a sony w100 point and shoot to a canon 7D

people buy a dslr because they got the money to do so and intrigued by its many more functions over a point and shoot and hope that in the future after using and learning how to use it will get better shots, yes its not a point and shoot and I'm sure majority of ppl that buy it kinda know this, also entry level dslr is so much affordable to the majority of ppl now, not like when you had to re mortgage ya house to get one, yes the pro range is still in that area

I guess marketing works for some ppl, I went canon cos a friend I know shoots canon, I wouldn't say gullable just we got the money to have one , yes there is a huge huge learning curve with a dslr beyond the basics of photography, personaly not interested in making money or competing with other pros, damaging to the profession it belongs to ??, if you buy one and advertise your a pro photog then kinda yes

if your coming from nothing then yes compact or bridge first, although if your willing to learn then possibly dslr

no harm will come from handing a dslr to someone with no phographic knowlage, yes you wont get the results you want and they will prob be totally frustrated with it, but again if they go to a traing scool or online corese to learn it then all good, yes other than enthusiasts or pro will be interested in RAW files

yes if your not willing to learn and spend the time learning then bridge or point and shoot is for you

again unless enthusiast or pro your prob not too bothered about post prosessing

if you got loads of spare money no harm in having what you want, end of the day its no biggie if you don't use it or throw it out ( ah the life of the rich )
    if you have to watch ya pennies but willing to embrace phography then possibly yes
    if you gotta watch pennies and not wanting to learn and hope you get better photos then no compact or bridge

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just buy what you can afford, I don't regard any camera as 'elite', with maybe the exception of leica and hasselblad due to their ridiculous price and archaic lack of functions.

I had a point and shoot, then a bridge camera and then a DSLR, but I didnt really even start to understand photography until years after. For some its just a toy, for others its a tool, for others its a method of expression.