Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Advice i5 skylake or an i7 skylake ?

bit of a debate between friends
    my system is just over a year old but adequate for my needs which comprises of a Intel (TM) I7-4820 3.7GH running at 4.2 GHZ water cooled 16gig ram Samsung evo 500 SSD Gforce 980gts strix edition.
    his question..........................
    For Gaming and Photography work, Do I choose an i5 skylake or an i7 skylake ?

It has to be a skylake chipset Z170, as the chipset is the more advanced over the older CPU chipsets, and all the articles I have read suggest the biggest reason for going skylake is the chipset and its features such as the extra speed.

My reason for posting the thread is the the cost difference of an i5 6600 k v an i7 6700k could mean the difference in upgrading my GPU from the Amd HD 7950 3 gig to a Nvidia GTX 670 3.5 gig .
    I have checked all the reviews that I can find and they all point to an i7 skylake, for my proposed use. Has anyone seen an indepth review of an i5 6600k used for photo manipulation? ( bear in mind my system will have 16 gig of ddr4 and a Samsung SSD,500 gig sata 6gbs evo as a minimum).

This is one review I have found

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/pcs/c...skylake-review

Something that keeps cropping up is that newer games are using hyperthreading, something not available with the i5 skylake and only the i7, of course the GPU is more effective but not in games such as ARMA 3, which my i5-750 struggles with and I really want to play.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: i5 skylake or an i7 skylake ?

For photography Work e.g plenty of Photoshop use I would say gotta be an i7

Had an i5 and when I upgraded to i7 the Mrs said it seemed twice as fast in Photoshop. i7's have much better number crunching abilities basically.
    I don't think it matters for gaming much though.

Thanks
    Karma Level

thank you for the reply
    ut I was hoping for more actual info rather the Mrs said it seemed twice as fast

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by the ghost View Post
    My reason for posting the thread is the the cost difference of an i5 6600 k v an i7 6700k could mean the difference in upgrading my GPU from the Amd HD 7950 3 gig to a Nvidia GTX 670 3.5 gig .
    Did you mean GTX 970? Anyways, it might be worth checking this review - there doesn't seem to be much difference performance wise between both cpus using Photoshop.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Traditionally, we would have counted on CPU advances to make this dream a reality, but as we've seen from both AMD and Intel lately, expecting major leaps forward in processor performance will likely set you up for a bad time. Today, progress is being facilitated through the integration and utilization of many different subsystems (including the GPU), faster pipes, more parallelism, and so on.
    Old but still relevant.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ro,3208-6.html

Thanks
    Karma Level

cheers going to read up on that sorry both

Social Networking Bookmarks