Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Avi and Mp4 Files will not play

Hi A friend of mine owns a Toshiba BL702 40" LED TV I suggested rather than use Dvd's to watch Films from a Dvd player i would put some on a usb Stick for him. The Manual states it plays Avi, Mp4 as well as Mpeg 1 and 2. I gave him 2 sticks to try one formatted to Ntfs and the other Fat 32. None of the Mp4 and avi files are supported. I have joint Toshiba's forum for advice but no body's replied. I wonder if the Tv's software needs updating but i cannot find any updates for the Tv. I have now put some films on a stick in Mpeg 2 format but the quality is nowhere near as good as mp4. I will try them on his tv when i see him next. Can any one advise me of anything i could do to make the Tv recognise better formats. Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Avi and Mp4 Files will not play

For AVI you sometimes need to register the CODEC within the system menu of the TV before it will play. I think I had to do that on the missus' Tosh.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm reckoning something completely different. Are the files viewable through the Media menu of the Tosh?

This TV supports literally everything, including MKV... apparently. http://www.toshiba.co.uk/discontinue...nition-led-tv/

Picture (USB) : JPEG
    Audio (USB) : MP3, MP4, LPCM, AAC, HEAAC
    Video (USB) : AVI, MPEG1, MPEG2 MP, MPEG4 SP, MPEG4 ASP, Xvid, H.264, AVC, MS ISO MPEG4, MJPEG, mpg, dat, vob, MP4, MKV
    Misleading information.
    MP4 - File Extension <- This could be an XviD stream with an AAC Audio Stream.
    AVI - File extension <- This could be an MP4 inside with a DTS Audio stream.
    ISO - File Extension. <- Usually an exact replica of a DVD (Contains VOB's).
    XViD - Codec.
    AVC - Codec

TV Manufacturer manuals are useless - as is therei tech knowhow.

Similar to Zip files that hold 2 or more streams inside - usually one for video and one for audio. My guess it's either Bitrate/stream type issues or the Audio stream is not supported by the TV.

Have Gpost analyis the files and it'll tell you - http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

TV Manufacturers explaining they support all these filetypes generally means they can open them, decipher them and if the streams inside supported - play them. Rarely ever goes this way.

Invest in a Mini Android PC, Chrome Cast or Fire TV to get the most out of any TV and stream/transcode directly from another device.
    Last edited by DejaVu; 8th January 2016 at 12:48 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I agree with DejaVu above - it is probably either a resolution and/or bitrate that is unsupported by the TV.

Re-encode with something like Freemake Video Convertor.

Whenever I want to convert a file for a friends TV, I find this program always seems to work with various formats.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thank you for the quick replys. I have a couple of file converters that i use. Xilisoft Ultimate and any Dvd. The original files were Mp4 and i have converted them to Avi as they wouldn't play. They still wont play. They work on mine and other Tv's. The files are there to be seen in the Menu on the TV but unsorported file comes up every time

Thanks
    Karma Level

Try formatting the USB stick as FAT rather than NTFS or FAT32 (although if you can see them then it is reading the stick fine, but hey, it's something else to try).

UPDATE - Not good news chap regarding the BL702B series, see this thread here.
    Last edited by crazyal; 8th January 2016 at 08:13 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by crazyal View Post
    Try formatting the USB stick as FAT rather than NTFS or FAT32 (although if you can see them then it is reading the stick fine, but hey, it's something else to try).

UPDATE - Not good news chap regarding the BL702B series, see this thread here.

as crazyal says fat 32 n u could maybe update the tv to new firmware?