Louis van Gaal's Manchester United side have underachieved this season, says former chief executive David Gill. Saturday's 1-0 home loss to Southampton - United's sixth defeat of the campaign - leaves them five points behind fourth-placed Tottenham in the table.
There were loud boos from fans after the final whistle at Old Trafford.
"We all hoped results would be better," Gill, who is on the board of directors at the club, told BBC Radio 5 live's Sportsweek.
"I know everyone at the club is working hard to turn things around. We have to stick together."

'We want attacking football'

Gill would not be drawn on Van Gaal's future, saying any decision would be made by the club's owners, the Glazers, and executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward.
One of the main criticisms of the 64-year-old Dutchman's tenure has been about the style of football.
They managed just one shot on target against Southampton and have gone eight hours and 26 minutes without scoring in the first 45 minutes of games at Old Trafford.
"I am not going to sit here and say it is that attractive," added Gill, who said he went to the cinema on Saturday night instead of watching Manchester United on Match of the Day.
"For me, what we did in the past was great but you have to have the players to do that.
"Manchester United going back to the 1950s played in a certain way. We want attacking football and I am sure that will be a key part going forward."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35394914