Close

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Buying a 4K TV Advice.

Afternoon fellow DFer's!

I'm looking to buy a new TV in the very near future and I've been looking at the Samsung UE65JU6000 currently with Currys.
    http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-...43407-pdt.html

The only thing I've seen that bothers me is this PQI rating thingy.

This TV has a rating of 800, which I'm lead to believe is higher than 400Hz via comparison to older TVs (I'm well out of the loop these days).
    Other Sammy TV's give this rating at upto 2400 and ovbiously the price esculates massively.

I want a 65" TV that is a good one. I'm not too worried about the connectivity as long as it has at least 2 HDMI's, Wifi enabled, supports Plex and can use my Soundbar with it.
    From what I understand, PQI is to do with the motion for the screen, but without a proper comparison, I have no idea what the differences are.

1080p to 4K, from what I've read, watching from certain distances do not give any actual real benefits... espiecally if your approaching 40 and have dodgy eyes anyway!

Anyone bought a 4K TV recently that can give some tips on what to look out for?
    This gogglebox is going to set me back a grand, so can't imagine it's going to be crap, but ones with a PQI rating, with a few other minor bells and whistles are being priced in at £2,800!

Feels like a mine field!
    Last edited by DejaVu; 16th May 2016 at 01:16 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Buying a 4K TV Advice.

the currys link is a bit low on info, i am no expert here DejaVu but if i was going for a new tv i would make sure it has HDMI 2.0 (arc compatable) so it will run 4k @ 60hz.

i have a 40inch pc monitor and tbh the 4k i have tried has not been a big leap, but what is good is that when i am close i cant see the pixels like i can in 1080.

go into store with something to view on a memory stick and ask for a demo.

Thanks
    Karma Level

well you are right with the minefield..

different manufacturers use different scales (oh joy)

These measurements differ by manufacturer, the main ones are:

• PQI (Samsung) – ranges from 100-2400
    • PMI (LG) – ranges from 1000-2300
    • Hz (LG and Sony) – ranges from 100-1300

maybee some help here

http://uk.rtings.com/tv/learn/fake-r...s-lg-trumotion

Thanks
    Karma Level

more info here and the pqi/hz really do not match up at all..

https://translate.google.co.uk/trans...ml&prev=search
    Last edited by wakadoo; 16th May 2016 at 04:05 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

make sure it does HDR as that's the new thing for 4k movies now, and apparently a much bigger visual difference than going from 1080 to 4k, also the 4k scaler chip need to be a decent one, I got a 4k Samsung last year £1500 apparently had the better 4k scaler chip but no HDR so new set for me at somepont

Thanks
    Karma Level

I am sure I read that the Olympics is due to be shot in 8k. To follow that some TV manufacturers are going to be releasing sets by the end of the year (missing the coverage...??!??).

It took a long time for them to come up with a 4k standard.. It might be worth skipping 4k and wait for 8? Maybe get a chepo 4k to keep you going? Worst thing you can do is heavily invest now knowing the 8K sets will be here by the end of the year.
    Of course it will take a while before we can use 8k, 4k is hardly 'Standard' today.

I have given up caring about having the latest and greatest tech now because your out of date pretty much the second you walk out of the store with something.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Although 4k looks great I'm not in any rush. The euros aren't even being shown in 4k in the UK as far as I am aware.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

8K TVs prices are going to be through the roof. I'm not fussed about HDR (colour blindness).

I just feel like this things are being promoted because TV manufacturers need to market something to bring interest towards their Brand.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

I got a Sony KD-55x8500C just before Christmas and couldn't be happier with it.

Has a great upscaler build in so 1080P content looks amazing, but 4K looks stunning. Sony also released a HDR update for it so it supports that (Looks amazing btw!!). The set also has Android built in as well as YouView. I have Kodi running on this and it plays 1080p content just fine with no stuttering or jerkiness. As for motion blur, nothing noticeable from what I can see.

These sets have had their issues when first released, but things have settled down now, I got it for £975 and that was a bargain back in December (was selling at £1200 back then in most places) Last week I saw it for £799 on HotUK Deals as its now last years model so prices are starting to fall, don't let that put you off though as reviews I have read say the new models are not as good picture quality wise.

I got the 55" version but they also do a 65" and a 75" one too

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Buying a 4K TV Advice.

I got the 55" curved 4K hisense 720. Amazing for the money. Local dimming, HDR coming, great apps, 4K is at 60 hz. Cost me just over £700.

It's got a free view, cable and sat tuner built in as well. 4K off Astra looks incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Im waiting on HDR to come down in price I won 1500 quid in the bookies so i thought i would treat myself but haven't seen a 65" model in that price range . It's burning a hole the bastards better hurry up and bring the prices down. From what Ive seen sony models are blowing other models out of the water when i was in curry last week compared to other models it just stood out so much more.

J-Tag 360 RGH 360, PS3 Super Slim, Xbox 360 Slim, WDTV Live with CFW, Vu+ Solo 2, Dreambox 500HD Connected to 1M Motorised Dish.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I wouldn't touch the Sony 4K Android Tv's with anyones bargepole!!! I'm on my second and its full of bugs. I'm currently in communication with Sony Uk to get a full refund, as you would expect, it's not going well!!