Close

Thread: Taking tablets

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Taking tablets

I think I understand "take one three times daily" in that that means take one every eight hours (approximately).

But does "take three per day" imply that they have to be taken all at once, or would it be acceptable to take three each day but spread out over the day?

The particular tablets in question are glucosamine and chondroitin which my GP has suggested that I try for osteoarthritis.

For practical reasons taking the three at different times would be preferable, but if that would diminish any possible effect, then I shall take them at the same time.

Thanks in advance.

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Taking tablets

Ask your GP

Cheapreefer on instagram

Thanks
    Karma Level

yes it means take 1 tablet every 8 hours spread it out evenly over a day, so I guess 7am-3pm-11pm ---7am on and on, I'm not a doctor so I'm only giving my interpretation of what you've provided ( I take no responsibility if you snuff it form information ive supplied, consult your doctor if your not sure) and its so you get a even dose over the 24 hours is why you take every 8 and not all at once

Thanks
    Karma Level

The concept of taking 3 daily is generally to maintain them in your system (it all depends on the volume of each tablet/capsule). Taking it all at once means you would assimilate them all at the same time and possibly be left for a prolonged period without any of it in your body although this I cannot confirm. I assume the capsules you have are 500mg and your daily intake is 1500mg?

I take Glucosamine in a once daily (1000mg) tablet with a cod liver oil capsule just to keep the joints working well.

Not sure if it's any different taking 2 x 500mg tabs as opposed to one 1000mg tab (unless the 1000mg tabs are bound in a slow release compound or something compared to the 500mg).

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks, one and all. I shall take one three times daily and absolve pickie from all responsibility if I snuff it on the morrow!

ss30 and pickie - you clearly aren't registered at my health centre. Getting appointments is well nigh impossible and, indeed, we aren't allowed to die unless we have given a minimum of six months notice so as to ensure there will be a GP on duty with the time to sign the death certificate! If I booked another appointment to ask the question, hell would have frozen over by the time I got to see him again!

Just to illustrate, I perforate an ear drum from time to time and I know from experience that if I get antibiotics within 24 hours all will be well. if I don't, a trip to ENT is about a 50/50 chance. Last winter I sensed that I had perforated the drum yet again at lunchtime on a Friday so went to the surgery to see my GP. The Receptionist said there were no appointments left and none were available until the following Tuesday.

I told her that that was no use so she relented and told me that if it was a real emergency I could see the duty doctor later that afternoon. I asked if a perforated eardrum was classed as an emergency and she said she didn't know and that I would have to ask a doctor. Accordingly, I asked to ask a doctor to ask the question and was told that there were no appointments until the following Tuesday, at which time I could ask my GP if it was an emergency.

I turned round and walked out, one just cannot beat bureaucratic nonsense like that!
    Last edited by iBozz; 23rd May 2016 at 07:22 PM.

3 Thanks given to iBozz

Ashley (23rd May 2016),  BigBird (17th June 2016),  piggzy (23rd May 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Definitely take all 3 in the evening and down with a litre of single malt .

Thanks to piggzy

Over Carl (23rd May 2016)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

You don't need an appointment, just ask the receptionist type person on the phone and they'll find out for you.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    You don't need an appointment, just ask the receptionist type person on the phone and they'll find out for you.
    Not true. I have tried that and they tell you they are not allowed to do so. They tell you to either speak to GP or Pharmacist.

At least that is what they say at my shitty practise.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

That must be a shitty place! A pharmacist is a good idea though, don't need an appointment for that.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    That must be a shitty place! A pharmacist is a good idea though, don't need an appointment for that.
    Tried 3 different Surgeries in the area and it seems they have all gone to shit. Receptionist are fucking useless imho, they all act like they are more qualified then the GP's until you ask them to do something.

If I ever get one that asks what is the matter (cheeky cunt) I always reply with. "I didn't realise receptionists signed the Hippocratic oath". It is usually followed by a long pause.

Thanks to piggzy

Detector (17th June 2016)  

Inactive
    Thanks
    Karma Level

take 3 times in a day usually means within 12 hours period, one or two tablets every 4 hours.
    A wise man once said " "

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks, Detector. I had always assumed that "take one three times daily" and "take three a day" were a little different.