Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Introducing the Newest Member of the Xbox Family: The Xbox One S

Introducing the Newest Member of the Xbox Family: The Xbox One S

By Matt Lapsen, General Manager, Xbox Devices Marketing posted on at 9:43 am

https://youtu.be/XuTwtOo88r8

Today at E3, we unveiled a new member of the Xbox One family, the Xbox One S. The Xbox One S will offer exceptional games and entertainment starting at $299 USD.
    With a fresh new design and “robot white” color, the Xbox One S is 40 percent smaller than the original Xbox One, creating the most compact Xbox yet. It also includes a built-in power supply, and in response to fan requests worldwide, can be placed horizontally or vertically with an optional stand.
    Xbox One S is not just slimmer and sleeker. We also worked hard to add some exciting new features for video and gameplay. You’ll now be able to watch Blu-ray movies and stream video in stunning 4K Ultra HD video, with content from partners like Netflix and Amazon Video. Xbox One S also offers High Dynamic Range (HDR) support for video and gaming, so you can experience richer, more luminous colors in games like Gears of War 4 and Scalebound. With a higher contrast ratio between lights and darks, HDR brings out the true visual depth of your games and media.

For increased accessibility, we shifted one of the three USB ports and the pairing button to the front of the Xbox One S alongside the newly added IR blaster. Additionally, in order to make the Xbox One S as compact as possible and make all of these updates, we removed the dedicated Kinect port from the back. Kinect for Xbox One will still be compatible with Xbox One S via the Xbox Kinect Adapter for USB connection and offers the same great experiences as the current console. For fans that currently own a Kinect for Xbox One and plan to purchase the Xbox One S, we are offering a free Xbox Kinect Adapter. Visit xbox.com/XboxOne/KinectAdapter for more details.
    The New Xbox Wireless Controller
    The Xbox One S comes with a newly designed Xbox Wireless Controller featuring textured grip for enhanced comfort. We improved the Xbox Wireless signal performance to give you a more reliable wireless connection to the console and up to twice the wireless range when used with Xbox One S. To enable easier wireless connection to your Windows 10 devices, we also added Bluetooth support.* The new thumbstick design significantly reduces wear to help maintain accuracy and smooth rotation over the life of the controller, so you never miss a beat. The new Xbox Wireless Controller is included with all Xbox One S consoles and will be available worldwide for individual purchase for $59.99 USD.
    All Xbox One games, accessories and Xbox Live services will work with the new Xbox One S. With 500GB, 1TB and special launch edition 2TB options, you can choose the hard drive that’s right for you. The limited quantity 2TB launch edition Xbox One S will be available in select markets starting early August for $399 USD, with the 1TB Xbox One S for $349 USD and the 500GB Xbox One S for $299 USD arriving thereafter. The Xbox One Vertical Stand will also be available for standalone purchase for $19.99 USD.
    *Bluetooth capabilities require Windows 10 devices running the Windows Anniversary Update

Source/original post
    http://news.xbox.com/2016/06/13/intr...ly-xbox-one-s/

Thoughts any one.

I don't have a 4k tv so I don't need one yet.....

Ted
    Lots of my repairs and pictures of retro stuff on my twitter.

https://twitter.com/Big_ted1?t=s9zEZ...Z-npEyeKA&s=09

Thanks to BIG-TED

piggzy (15th June 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Introducing the Newest Member of the Xbox Family: The Xbox One S

Watched this yesterday too. Looks good.

Is this just the PS 4.5 equivalent. Seems it to me ?!?!?!?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    Is this just the PS 4.5 equivalent. Seems it to me ?!?!?!?
    No this is the xone s with a uhd drive in it the xbox scorpio / ps4.5 is another thing altogether

Thanks to prezzy

piggzy (15th June 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Grief ... they are both fucking with the regular console life cycle !!!! Be it on their heads.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Pointless. I just don't see this increasing sales.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i will be flogging mine and getting one.

J-Tag 360 RGH 360, PS3 Super Slim, Xbox 360 Slim, WDTV Live with CFW, Vu+ Solo 2, Dreambox 500HD Connected to 1M Motorised Dish.

Thanks to bobo06

akimba (16th June 2016)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I've only just got a xone so I won't be getting a slim version.
    I personally don't think there is anything wrong with the original one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to jaygo

WRATH OF BOD (16th June 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by jaygo View Post
    I've only just got a xone so I won't be getting a slim version.
    I personally don't think there is anything wrong with the original one
    other than its freaken huge and has an external psu, whereas the new s is 40% smaller and has an internal psu, and also has a UHD bluray drive for the new 4K movies you can now buy and considering a separate UHD player will do you around 200-300 the new s is a steal

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Every Xbox has had an external power supply so this doesn't bother me.
    The size of it is just marginally bigger than a slim 360 which I've replaced so still fits in exact same place.
    UHD blurry drive for 4K movies doesn't bother me either as can't honestly tell you the last time I bought a bluray.
    Everything is downloaded or streamed from my household plex server.
    Yes it also does do 4K as its streaming via an Amazon Fire tv box.

I see your points but again don't see anything wrong with the original one.

Thanks to jaygo

akimba (16th June 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

the s is just a more convenient size without the hassel of and external psu, with the added bonus of a UHD player all for pretty much the same price as a stand alone UHD player, yes I also stream all my movies in bluray quality, but your not gonna beable to do that with 4K movies for a while yet, as AACS 2.0 is still being worked on and is much more secure aparrently

Thanks
    Karma Level

don't forget the IR Blaster ;-)

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

So it's not any more powerful, just smaller....What's the point?
    Not too bothered about 4k as don't have a 4k tv
    As for the PSU, can't see it behind my TV Unit anyway
    When are they going to release anything new and original on the One? I'm still playing BF4. Looking forward to BF1 in October

Thanks to Robbo

lithho (22nd June 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Introducing the Newest Member of the Xbox Family: The Xbox One S

My biggest issue with it is the colour. Fucking white???
    I still cringe when I see my 360 under the tv, if it was in black I'd probably get one.
    A/V equipment should be black, no exceptions! When tv's strayed from the norm and went silver for a few years I thought they looked shit, this is the same.
    Ooh, ooh, ooh, the funky gibbon.

Thanks to funkyg

beerman (18th June 2016)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by funkyg View Post
    My biggest issue with it is the colour. Fucking white???
    I still cringe when I see my 360 under the tv, if it was in black I'd probably get one.
    A/V equipment should be black, no exceptions! When tv's strayed from the norm and went silver for a few years I thought they looked shit, this is the same.
    Totally agree.
    When the first 360 came out it looked odd as soon as the elite was available I got it and nice and black too.
    Then upgraded to a slim but no White consoles don't fly since the PS1.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Looks good for anyone that doesn't already have one. Would be good if it had ssd combo by default.
    Shame it's not more powerful though.
    Might as well just wait for Scorpio.

So if you have kinect you have 2 ir blasters?
    Feels weird they didn't add voice commands if they added ir.
    Although they have got a lot worse now they are cortana based
    Last edited by inspectercoley; 19th June 2016 at 09:46 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

With the latest Dashboard beta you can use voice commands through the headset to control cortana, I might be wrong but think once rolled out the 'Xbox' command will be removed and replaced with hey cortana, I have been using it and it does work well but saying 'hey cortana' is shit.

I think the Kinect will be all but obsolete once this is rolled out as in my experience most people only still have the kinect plugged in for the voice commands and there are next to no games support it and even less worth playing.

Thanks to Bald Bouncer

lithho (22nd June 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    With the latest Dashboard beta you can use voice commands through the headset to control cortana, I might be wrong but think once rolled out the 'Xbox' command will be removed and replaced with hey cortana, I have been using it and it does work well but saying 'hey cortana' is shit.

I think the Kinect will be all but obsolete once this is rolled out as in my experience most people only still have the kinect plugged in for the voice commands and there are next to no games support it and even less worth playing.
    I think you may have just answered a question I was about to ask.

Is it worth getting a Kinect ? lol
    I have no interest but the Mrs is bugging me to get one. She wants to use it do do that Keep fit bollox and she tells me the kids will get tonnes of use out of it.
    So is it dying on it's arse?? Are there only a handful of games for it.

I'm sure I would use the voice commands but that would be it for me. I game sitting on the couch, not jumping around like an idiot.
    I suppose picking up a second hand one might keep her quiet without me spending £100 on a door stop.
    Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think you may have just answered a question I was about to ask.

Is it worth getting a Kinect ? lol
    I have no interest but the Mrs is bugging me to get one. She wants to use it do do that Keep fit bollox and she tells me the kids will get tonnes of use out of it.
    So is it dying on it's arse?? Are there only a handful of games for it.

I'm sure I would use the voice commands but that would be it for me. I game sitting on the couch, not jumping around like an idiot.
    I suppose picking up a second hand one might keep her quiet without me spending £100 on a door stop.
    Any advice appreciated.
    I am guessing the only real use for it is the keep fit side which does seem to work well and a couple of dance games not really any different from the 360 ones, when they announced the launched of the Xbox One with bells and whistles claiming kinect 2 would be at the core of the system it was total bullshit and apart from the voice commands for me it has been useless (just remembered I have used it for skype a couple of times but many more alternatives I can use), I presume Microsoft had to rely mainly on games developers to embrace the technology and they haven't so it's all but dead.

With all that said you could probably pick up a cheap second hand one as you say probably around £45 might find the price drops more as people ditch them when they can have a headset for the voice commands.

Thanks to Bald Bouncer

piggzy (19th June 2016)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    I am guessing the only real use for it is the keep fit side which does seem to work well and a couple of dance games not really any different from the 360 ones, when they announced the launched of the Xbox One with bells and whistles claiming kinect 2 would be at the core of the system it was total bullshit and apart from the voice commands for me it has been useless (just remembered I have used it for skype a couple of times but many more alternatives I can use), I presume Microsoft had to rely mainly on games developers to embrace the technology and they haven't so it's all but dead.

With all that said you could probably pick up a cheap second hand one as you say probably around £45 might find the price drops more as people ditch them when they can have a headset for the voice commands.

Thanks, will pick up a second hand one at some point then to keep her happy.
    Suppose it's only fair as I manged to sneak the Elite controller past her :-)

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks, will pick up a second hand one at some point then to keep her happy.
    Suppose it's only fair as I manged to sneak the Elite controller past her :-)
    My local cash generator are doing them just now for £30
    Was going to pick one up don't know if I will now.

Piggzy more than happy to get you one and ship to you if your interested

Thanks to jaygo

piggzy (19th June 2016)  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast