Karma Level

Default Sony PS4 Pro console revealed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11XjMplfTd4

Getting this to go with my PSVR - nice.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Sony PS4 Pro console revealed

PS4 Pro: Specs, Release Date, and Price Confirmed

After announcing a new PlayStation console just prior to E3, Sony finally shares new details on its new, more powerful PlayStation 4 Pro.

Last updated by Tamoor Hussain and Chris Pereira on

As expected, Sony today unveiled its new, more powerful PlayStation console, which is called PlayStation 4 Pro. It will launch on November 10, 2016 and cost $399/£349.
    The console will complement the standard PS4 and sit alongside it. The name was picked to show that it is part of the current version of the console, but aimed at the higher-end gamers. It is not an entirely new architecture and thus not a new generation of PlayStation hardware.

During the PlayStation Meeting event, Andrew House, president and group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment, discussed Sony's decision to pursue 4K and HDR, which are two of the major new features the PS4 Pro enables. House described these as "natural" paths of progression for visual fidelity. He went on to introduce lead architect Mark Cerny, who said Sony's vision is to "take the PS4 experience to extraordinary new levels."
    "Our goal is to deliver high-fidelity graphical experiences," he added. "We aim to provide developers with tools to further their visions."
    Among the hardware upgrades in the PS4 Pro are a 1TB hard drive, doubled GPU power, and technology adapted from AMD Polaris graphical architecture. These allow the PS4 Pro to reach resolutions "not thought possible on consoles" in 2016. The CPU clockspeed has also been boosted. The Pro will not have a 4K Blu-ray drive.
    Cerny went on to show off a number of games running on PS4 Pro and displayed on a 4K display. The games included Marvel and Insomniac Games' Spider-Man, Ubisoft's For Honor, and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. Cerny described the new resolution capabilities of the PS4 Pro and its impact on games as "transformative."
    Sony Bend's Days Gone was used to show how HDR can deliver "a level of photorealism that you've never experienced in a game." Cerny said Sony doesn't expect developers to support HDR from the outset, but believes those that do will see huge visual improvements.
    Other games shown at higher-resolution and using HDR include Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, Infamous: Last Light, Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor, andHorizon: Zero Dawn. HDR support will be introduced to all models of PS4 via a system update next week.
    Cerny clarified that PS4 Pro isn't just for people with 4K or HDR-capable displays, as developers can make use of the extra power to improve visual fidelity on standard 1080p TVs. Games will know what display you use and developers can tailor their experiences to fit. The extra power can be used to boost visual density or make other tweaks to visuals that can be enjoyed on non-4K TVs.
    Patches for "over a half-dozen Sony titles" are in the works to take advantage of PS4 Pro and many third-party developers are also working on releasing patches to take advantage of the new hardware.
    The same discs and downloads will run on both models of PS4 but play in different ways. Sony has said it is asking publishing partners to consider how they can best use PS4 Pro on standard HDTVs and 4K.
    Activision appeared on stage during the event to announce both Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare and Modern Warfare 4 Remastered will support PS4 Pro when the hardware launches. Additionally, a title update for Black Ops 3 will also allow for Treyarch's game to harness the new horsepower.
    EA followed, confirming FIFA 17, Battlefield 1, and Mass Effect: Andromeda will support PS4 Pro. New gameplay for Mass Effect: Andromeda was shown running in 4K, it offered a look at the game's new protagonist exploring a dark cavern using a jetpack.
    For video streaming, a new Netflix app will be available and upcoming exclusives such as Marvel's Luke Cage and Narcos Season 2 will support HDR streaming. A new YouTube app will also be available for 4K streaming.
    The full specs of the PS4 Pro can be found below:

• Main processor: Custom-chip single Processor
      • CPU: x86-64 AMD "Jaguar," 8 cores
      • GPU: 4.20 TFLOPS, AMD Radeon™ based graphics engine

• Memory: GDDR5 8GB
    • Storage size: 1TB
    • External dimensions: Approx. 295×55×327 mm (width × height × length) (excludes largest projection)
    • Mass: Approx. 3.3 kg
    • BD/DVD Drive: BD × 6 CAV, DVD × 8 CAV
    • Input/Output: Super-Speed USB (USB 3.1 Gen.1) port × 3, AUX port × 1
    • Networking: Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)×1, IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth® 4.0 (LE)
    • Power: AC 100V, 50/60Hz
    • Power consumption: Max. 310W
    • Operating temp: 5ºC – 35ºC
    • AV Output: HDMI out port (supports 4K/HDR) DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) port

Sony first announced the new system in June. Days before E3, Sony confirmed it was in the works but declined to share anything more than broad, high-level comments regarding it. At the time it said the console would be a more powerful system with 4K support that plays the same games as the existing PS4.
    It also claimed it would continue to be sold alongside the standard PS4, serving as a complement to that console. Shortly thereafter, Microsoft revealed the Xbox One S and Project Scorpio at E3. Sony has largely been silent on the subject of its new console since its announcement.

Thanks to {{909}}

Mystical_2K (8th September 2016)  

DF Super Moderator Rick Sanchez's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

For me this bring no extra benefit over my current model C
    Domain Registration, SSL Certificates and Web Hosting - Fusionhost- 25% Discount Available On All Web Hosting Plans For DF Members - Code: DF2022

Thanks
    Karma Level

errrr... so the "Pro" is for 4K but...
    The Pro will not have a 4K Blu-ray drive.

So what are they playing at then? Bit disappointing really.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd consider an upgrade, if there were any games this gen that are worth playing.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by EvilBoB View Post
    errrr... so the "Pro" is for 4K but...

[/FONT][/COLOR]So what are they playing at then? Bit disappointing really.

To make people think they'll be playing games in 4K.

The article mentions playing games at higher resolutions, which of course would be possible with the added horsepower but only 1 game states it'll actually run in 4K.

The whole thing seems like a mess to me.

Its a 4K PS4 that doesnt play 4K BD, potentially plays some (1) games in 4k, some at higher resolutions than the standard PS4 and has a new HDR rendering mode (which they say will be added to 'all PS4s in an update anyway).

That 'aimed at higher-end gamers' line, fuck off!

Take me back to when all I needed to know what my old system was 8bit and my next system was 16bit.

2 Thanks given to {{909}}

Ashley (8th September 2016),  EvilBoB (9th September 2016)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Nope, i'm not going to bother with this one.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Very misleading marketing which will no doubt work on the masses and the console will fly out.... You will have a lot of idiots post purchase moaning imho

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    Very misleading marketing which will no doubt work on the masses and the console will fly out.... You will have a lot of idiots post purchase moaning imho
    Playstation fans rarely complain - except about the competition

DF Moderator

2 Thanks given to EvilBoB

jaygo (9th September 2016),  piggzy (9th September 2016)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Anyone feel like Sony is pulling a bit of a SEGA here? addon bits to increase the horsepower screams 32x and SegaCD to me.

The main reason I buy consoles instead of PC gaming is the fact that its a standard platform and you know your experience will be the same as the next persons.
    Having these extra bits to make it better just annoys me as I dont want to have to shell out again to get the bonus features that games will now include.

For me Sony are not doing themselves any favours, the PSX was possibly the greatest console ever, it really did have everything, then the PS2 came along and I wasn't a great fan (mainly because of how unreliable they were), the PS3 did not win me over apart from it could play PS2 and PSX games, the PS4 has no interest for me and is the only Sony console I have not purchased.

On reflection I think as i've got older i have just become a miserable twat
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I personally couldn't care less that it doesn't play 4K discs - I have a K8500 that does a proper job of that. I've compared the picture on my XBox One S and the Panasonic does a far superior job with HDR IMO.

Let's see what Microshaft come up with next year - if it's any good I'll no doubt end up getting that too.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Here is what I don't get, they both (Sony and Microsoft) sell the device on 4K streaming capabilities, more Sony than Microsoft mind, but if you have a HDR 4K TV they will 99% of the time come with smart tv features that all ready have these features. I don't see the point in them selling this as a feature.

I have downloaded the tomb raider clip in 4K and it does look superb mind, however with the AMD card that's in it I question the performance.

Thanks
    Karma Level

4K BluRays will come on 3 and 4 layer BDRoms offering 100gb or 130gb(ish) of storage. It's called BDXL in the standard so would probably not be just a firmware update on the drive. With bigger and bigger textures in games now with 4k poking it's head out I wouldn't be surprised if we see another model PS4 Pro in the next 1 to 2 years that incorporates a BDXL.
    DF Moderator

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sony has not added Ultra HD Blu-ray support to its last week announced Playstation 4 Pro because there’s not enough consumer interest.
    The statement comes from the head of Sony Interactive Entertainment, Andrew House.
    The Playstation 4 Pro was announced last week and is an upgrade of Sony’s current Playstation 4 console. It adds support for Ultra HD (4K) and HDR, has a faster GPU and comes with a 1TB HDD. When the device was announced during a livestream event last week there was a lot of confusion whether the device would feature Ultra HD Blu-ray support.
    Sony clarified that the Playstation 4 Pro would not feature Ultra HD Blu-ray support and that it also couldn’t be added through a firmware update. When asked for the reason, the company argued that there wasn’t enough consumer interest.
    “Our feeling is that while physical media continues to be a big part of the games business, we see a trend on video towards streaming,” Sony’s Andrew House said. “Certainly with our user base, it’s the second biggest use case for people’s time on the system so we place more emphasis on that area.”
    Because Sony considers video streaming to be more important and because many users would only use streaming services, the device will support streaming through Netflix and Youtube.
    Microsoft, Sony ‘s largest competitor in the game console business, has announced that its upcoming Xbox One Scorpio does feature a Ultra HD Blu-ray player.
    The Playstation 4 Pro will become available on the 10th of November at a price of $399, £349 or €399.

Source : http://www.myce.com/news/sony-no-ult...nterest-80409/

What a load of crap. Yes we can give you the ability to buy our own format of HD media which we make plenty of money from and it's just a software update but we can't be arsed because we make even MORE money from streaming. Oh what's that? You only have the average broadband connection? Well in that case you lowly scum you can't watch and never will be able to watch Ultra HD other than in short 2 second buffered bursts bwahahaha bwahahah. Muppets!

DF Moderator

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by EvilBoB View Post
    4K BluRays will come on 3 and 4 layer BDRoms offering 100gb or 130gb(ish) of storage. It's called BDXL in the standard so would probably not be just a firmware update on the drive. With bigger and bigger textures in games now with 4k poking it's head out I wouldn't be surprised if we see another model PS4 Pro in the next 1 to 2 years that incorporates a BDXL.
    Xbox Scorpio will play 4k BluRays just saying :-0

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by akimba View Post
    Xbox Scorpio will play 4k BluRays just saying :-0
    My point exactly. Don't want to wait that long? The XBox One S also played UHD Blurays and you can buy them now!
    DF Moderator

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Love my PS4 pro...

My xone s plays uhd discs and they really do look fucking great, films are sooo fucking good - Games... Forza Horizon 3 and GOW4 look fantastic in HDR mode
    My PS4 pro plays games in 4k(ish) and they all look fucking awesome ratchet and clank in hdr, tomb raider 4k, cod4 4k, cod iw, titanfall 2 etc etc way better than the xone s
    Reckon both of these upgraded consoles are brilliant and they look fantastic especially on my oled tv with hdr etc

I will probs get the new scorpio or whatever when it is out and it still wont be on the same level as my pc but pretty fucking impressive

Oh just getting stuck into The Last Guardian on PS4 Pro which is in HDR - this game I seem to have been waiting forever to come out and it is not at all disappointing

Thanks
    Karma Level

Oled ?? I assume LG ! Worth the money ???

Personally holding out for the Scorpio. Not bothered about the up-scaling bollox .

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    Oled ?? I assume LG ! Worth the money ???
    Yes and Yes

My mate has the Sony ZD9 LED I know which one I prefer ;0)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Tomb Raider in 4K. I think I would explode....

DJ OD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast