Americanisms

Thread: Americanisms

Mule said:

Default Americanisms

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Open your heart. Die.

Over Carl said:

Default Re: Americanisms

My personal opinion is that Americanish should be considered a dialect of English.

Argyll said:

People are using it more and more. Someone said to me 'swap out' the other day. I wanted so much to say something.
    I understand and accept that some people hold opinions that are different to my own. Living in a free and democratic society, I fully embrace and respect their right to be wrong.

Northernbloke said:

What's wrong with swap out? Was a common phrase on my engineering apprenticeship over 30 years ago?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

beerman said:

Elevator really gets me. It's a fucking lift.

I'm hearing more and more American words from kids. Fucking Youtube has ruined our language and added all this American shit.

ss30 said:

Some Americanisms are more descriptive, Side walk is more descriptive than pavement, but it's still wrong to use them in the UK.

DJ Overdose said:

It's not so much the ones spelt different but sound the same. Words like faucet and sidewalk annoy me more. Soccer is a shit word. To me sounds like a kids game...

Still better than Fkin French tho

DJ OD

ss30 said:

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Overdose View Post
    It's not so much the ones spelt different but sound the same. Words like faucet and sidewalk annoy me more. Soccer is a shit word. To me sounds like a kids game...

DJ OD
    You got that right

BigBrand said:

We wound up this way.... No, you ended up this way. Aluminum foil...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Over Carl said:

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Overdose View Post
    The bit that I find peculiar, the French show utter contempt for our language e.g. renaming our country and capital city. Why do people over here try bother trying to use correct pronunciation for words that might originally be French when they make such a mockery of our language?

Argyll said:

Quote Originally Posted by Northernbloke View Post
    What's wrong with swap out? Was a common phrase on my engineering apprenticeship over 30 years ago?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Only time I've ever heard it is on these new American car/motorbike series. I've never heard swap out here in the UK and I've lived all over it at some point in my life.
    I understand and accept that some people hold opinions that are different to my own. Living in a free and democratic society, I fully embrace and respect their right to be wrong.

beerman said:

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrand View Post
    We wound up this way.... No, you ended up this way. Aluminum foil...
    Mythbusters was the bad for Americanisms, well it is an American show but ffs they are supposed to be speaking English. Aluminium was bad, solder, which for some reason the Americans call sarder, was worse. When they did the guillotine episode I nearly lost my mind with rage.

ilscuro said:

Alooominum, Tomayto,

Fookin retards

funkyg said:

Default Americanisms

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    Mythbusters was the bad for Americanisms, well it is an American show but ffs they are supposed to be speaking English. Aluminium was bad, solder, which for some reason the Americans call sarder, was worse. When they did the guillotine episode I nearly lost my mind with rage.

God yes, every time they say solder I cringe.
    I was in the States last week and got caught out with an Americanism. I know they call crisps chips but I still got caught out. On the menu board at hot dog stand they said hot dog with your choice of chips. I was still expecting chips rather than crisps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

piggzy said:

Cilantro.... Fuck off you are not Spanish and you are supposed to speak English.. It is fucking coriander cunt

{{909}} said:

have to admit, after 5 years of living outside of the UK and teaching English from a book heavily influenced by american English, I am starting to mix in american English far more often than I thought I ever would.

Words like sidewalk, trashcan and pants (do we really say TROUSERS?) seem to be pretty easy to use now, and I heard the word 'spigot' used for an outside tap the other day, which is a great word.

piggzy said:

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post
    have to admit, after 5 years of living outside of the UK and teaching English from a book heavily influenced by american English, I am starting to mix in american English far more often than I thought I ever would.

Words like sidewalk, trashcan and pants (do we really say TROUSERS?) seem to be pretty easy to use now, and I heard the word 'spigot' used for an outside tap the other day, which is a great word.

Where I'm from up Norf it has always been pants and still is. Pants go over the top of underpants (which is why they are called underpants).
    The yanks obviously took that one with them and you lot forgot it ;-)

flumperino said:

Bur,
    ming,
    ham.

Silent h please!!

maltloaf said:

swap out is an engineering phrase not an americanism as Northernbloke says. I became an engineer in '89 and it was common place then.

I use a fair number of americanisms in my everyday speech and I don't care really. We are all humans evolving, in some bad ways and some good.
    Facebook: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] Garmin Connect: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Strava: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Surface Book i5
    iMac 21.5" 2.7GHz Core i5 8GB
    iPhone X 256GB
    IPad Pro 9.7" WiFi 128GB
    iPad Air WiFi + Cellular 16GB

Argyll said:

Quote Originally Posted by maltloaf View Post
    swap out is an engineering phrase not an americanism as Northernbloke says. I became an engineer in '89 and it was common place then.

I use a fair number of americanisms in my everyday speech and I don't care really. We are all humans evolving, in some bad ways and some good.
    Eighth one down. Many would disagree