Close

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Facebook Data - Download yours

Interesting article from BBC THREE about FB and the data they hold on you, I not A FB user but those who are can now see what data FB hold on you.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/artic...e-5146cd48c12c

To tell you the truth, I have never been the kind of person to worry too much about my personal data online. I know it’s concerning, but trying to do anything about it just feels pointless. Where are we even supposed to start?

I'm 28, and I’ve spent most of my life online. I got a Hotmail account at 10, my first phone at 11, and a Facebook account at 16. I must have given so much personal information away (let alone all the embarrassing drunk photos I posted online while at uni) that it’s easier to live in denial and not think about it.

But when the news came out that Facebook had passed on data of up to 87 million of its members to political consultancy Cambridge Analytica without their knowledge - and one in 20 Brits were reported to delete their accounts - I started to wonder just how much information the social network had on me.

For the first time in my online life, I decided to face up to my data and download everything Facebook had on me.

In recent months, the site has made this easy. All you have to do is go to 'settings' and then 'access your information'. It turns out that in the 12 years I’ve been on Facebook, I’ve collected 324MB worth of data. This didn’t mean much to me until it took 40 minutes to download (35 minutes more than it took me to download a two hour film recently). Facebook knows far more about me than I’d ever realised.

4 Thanks given to akimba

BigBrand (26th June 2018),  consoles (27th June 2018),  piggzy (26th June 2018),  WRATH OF BOD (26th June 2018)