Close

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default iOS 8.x is Jailbroken, No Cydia yet

The Pangu team has released a Windows-only jailbreak for iOS 8.1 (but with a caveat which we'll get to in a second). It took just 35 days from the release of iOS 8 to be jailbroken - a huge improvement from the nearly 5 months iOS 7 took to jailbreak.

The big caveat - it's SSH only right now. Meaning Cydia is not installed with the jailbreak. However, this should prove a better release style - you'll remember for iOS 7 there was much frustration from the community around "my favorite tweak isn't updated for iOS 7 yet!" Developers need time to update and release tweaks to support the new firmware. An SSH only jailbreak allows the major developers to update and have iOS 8 support ready when Cydia is ready as well.

Saurik is aware of the jailbreak release, although he's traveling today so there will be some delays until he can address Cydia compatibility. He commented on Reddit mentioning this is currently his highest priority.

So, windknown has contacted me, about a half hour ago, via e-mail. He has told me one of the issues that is keeping Substrate from working on the device, which will probably require me to build a little binary patch for dyld as part of the Substrate installation sequence. This was the worst possible day for me, as I'm traveling back to Santa Barbara today (I'm currently in Texas, having come here to give a talk at The Big Android BBQ), which means this will take me a little longer than I'd like, but clearly getting Cydia and Substrate working on iOS 8 is my highest priority. I thankfully think that I actually can start working a little on one of the Substrate issues using an iOS 7 "model" based on the information provided by windknown, which means I'll lose less time to not having all of my devices with me. (I currently have no clue why Cydia itself is not functioning, but will find out later today when I can see it myself.)
    So - developers and artists, get working on those iOS 8 updates! For the jailbreak consumers, relax knowing everyone is working on updates, and look forward to Cydia and your favorite tweaks over the coming weeks on your iOS 8 devices.

Cydia now available for iOS 8
    http://www.bestcydiatweaks.com/news/...ydia-for-ios-8

Spoiler:

Taken from modmyi.com
    Sent From TapaTalk
    Last edited by littlebilly1; 22nd October 2014 at 07:38 PM.

2 Thanks given to littlebilly1

Ashley (22nd October 2014),  evilsatan (22nd October 2014)