Close

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Virgin Media Rolls out 20mb Internet from 1st may - 10mb users upgrade for £2!

working for a business isp i am literally rotflmfao at u guys, do u all really think that virgins backbone can cope with many/all the users upgrading to 20Mb. The Business customer will be prioritised, the rest of you will be fighting over whats left. Why not ask about their backbone and peering agreements, as well as who their main upstream providers are and the speed of their peering points then divide it between the number of users they have.

Cable is slightly better than ADSL but for all their faults BT run it better and its only a matter of time until BT run fibre to our homes.

In the USA i know many people who have 40MB cable dsl and every now and again they get 40Mb but their isp core switches and routers are under extreme load and are VERY prone to drop packets (lethal to gaming and voip) especially if they are shaping.

In my clan we have a member with a ping of 12ms on our server yet he drops connection more than me with a ping of 100ms, why? because his isp has an oversubscribed network. A uk member who is on cable is prone to poor performance at peak times as it is, god knows how this will affect him.

Money for old rope from virgins point of view, they wont upgrade their dirty domestic broadband network for this they will simply get a few more quid for the same old.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Virgin Media Rolls out 20mb Internet from 1st may - 10mb users upgrade for £2!

The only reason cable companies don't run fibre past the cabinet but terminate and then run coax is because they are not allowed, BT could not compete, no doubt IF BT ever get around to it (any idea how long and how much it would take to run all that fibre at this late stage? NOT GOING TO HAPPEN) I worked for BT in the early 70s, my Brother only quit in 1992 and still work in comms, you may know ISPs but I'm sorry, comms are not your strength. BT have been mollycoddled by successive governments even AFTER they lost their monopoly otherwise they couldn't compete, back in the late 70s companies like Ericsson manufactured (then) very advanced internal comms sytems which BT could only dream about, they weren't allowed to connect them to the external system run by BT because BT could not compete, we were the laughing stock of Europe, pre war exchanges.....I could go on forever but please, wake up and smell the coffee, BT have, with the help of their old bosses held everyone back rather than invest in a proper National comms network.
    Last edited by blaggard; 28th March 2007 at 12:11 AM.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Anyone on the special ofer got the balls to ring up and ask em what we'll be charge?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I will tomorrow.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i was told when i was sorting out the offer that i may not get upgraded to the 20 meg, but the guy did not know for sure if that was the case.
    He told me that when the 20 meg is in my area and if i dont have it to ring back and complain and they will then put it on.
    But he did say that he didnt know for sure what would happen.
    bbshark. The Member with the first ever DF Fine

http://digital-forums.com/showthread.php?t=451657

Thanks
    Karma Level

i rang about my unchangsed service- so i was told i can get 2 for £20, then pay extra £7 to make the broadband to 4mb. but also told its a free upgrade to 10mb as there is no longer a 10mb £35 service and from 1st may i will be on 20mb all for £27 a month

think ive been told porkies

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by rborhara View Post
    i rang about my unchangsed service- so i was told i can get 2 for £20, then pay extra £7 to make the broadband to 4mb. but also told its a free upgrade to 10mb as there is no longer a 10mb £35 service and from 1st may i will be on 20mb all for £27 a month

think ive been told porkies
    I have the flu at the moment which doesn't help but I have no idea what this is about!

Thanks
    Karma Level

to see the real speed of your cable connection just connect to http://192.168.100.1 and check the signal status, there you can see what is the real speed on the cable expressed in megabits.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

That's just the modem status page, it doesn't give speed at all, just power levels, SNR etc

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Spennyboy View Post
    I will tomorrow.
    Did you get round to doing this?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by picchiant View Post
    to see the real speed of your cable connection just connect to http://192.168.100.1 and check the signal status, there you can see what is the real speed on the cable expressed in megabits.

That's 'available' if your modem is using hackware etc
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blaggard View Post
    That's just the modem status page, it doesn't give speed at all, just power levels, SNR etc
    It does show what config settings have been applied to the modem.

These setting include the maximum download/upload thoughput.

Mine is still 10Mbit (South Manchester)
    "its the 1p's and 2p's"

Thanks
    Karma Level

update - *** coming round tomorrow to check my cable mdoem - apparently i can only seem to download at 150K tops , been iffy for a good few months, hopefully tomororw ill notice a great increase. to 10mb and yes was told extra £3 for 20mb from 1st may so thats £30 for Phone line basic and 20mb Broadband. (3 people have confirmed that with me) i have been with them for Yonks though

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by mackeyuk View Post
    It does show what config settings have been applied to the modem.

These setting include the maximum download/upload thoughput.

Mine is still 10Mbit (South Manchester)
    Depends on the modem and software revision, my old mode showed the config file, my current model doesn't.

Thanks
    Karma Level

its a blue nlt 250 cable modem only got it last year think its my 4th modem in 6 years.
    surfboard, ambit,ambit, and nlt250, what next - maybe cos i never switch it off.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Looks like they're increasng the costs for special offers customres too - just got this:

We're just writing to let you know that we're now ready to take a payment of £26.83 for your Virgin Media services. It'll be taken on or around 03/05/2007.

Normally is only £17.50

[edit] - Just called them again and they have agreed to put it back to 10mb for 3 months - best thing is, she said next month it will go to 20mb, so I'll be gettin the 20mb for £17.50 for 2 months, hah! After that she said I'd have to go on one of the packages (however I plan to make phone call again sayin they promised me it for a year! ). She tried to fob me off with changing the TV and phone and using 4mb broadband for £35 a month however I just said I'd rather keep it separate - I don't pay for the TV/phone anyway so doesn't bother me, lol! - Not interested in any extra channels either for "certain" reasons...

Just a bit of advice to people caling *** for simliar purposes - don't call the normal "150" number (customer services) - they're fuckin useless and claimed to no nothing of me as an additional person on the account. Call their retentions line - very helpful and put everything through straight away!
    Last edited by /dev/null; 17th April 2007 at 01:18 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I will never complain about prices or any thing on virgin since my folks canceled my broadband when i went to uni but went back over easter and magically found it still connected and not paid fOR. SO £0.00 a month for what a speed test says is 3.5mb/s i think is a fair price :-b
    If you don't know where you're going, you'll end up somewhere else

Thanks
    Karma Level

Has anybody had the upgrade to 20mb yet. I'm in Brum but no letter to say I will be getting this automatically.

Thanks
    Karma Level

still 10mb here down in sunny surrey.

be interesting to see what my next bill comes out as.

Thanks
    Karma Level

This has been updated now
    http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html.../schedule.html

Schedule is stunning, they start charging us £2 more from now but they cant even tie a bloody month down for when most get the speed upgrade!
    [live=JungIist]JungIist[/live]

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast