Close

Thread: BBC3 being Axed

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default BBC3 being Axed

Tony Hall's axing of BBC3 is the least worst way of saving money

The BBC director general is expected to propose making the channel online only

If the reports of BBC3's demise are correct, and I imagine they are, then it is obviously not a time for rejoicing. But it is a time for a sober understanding of an entirely rational decision.

Surely no-one believed that that the BBC could go on delivering on all fronts when its budget has been constrained due to the licence fee freeze at a time when it has also been required to take on extra commitments.

Of all the cuts that could be made, the axing of BBC3 is unquestionably the most sensible or perhaps the least worst.

The channel has managed to deliver on its promise to attract a young following. Last year, according to the audience figures, it had the highest ratings among the 16-34 age group, bigger than Channel 4 for example.

It has also proved to be a great starting ground for young comedy writers and producers, introducing new talent to the screen. It has won awards (four Baftas in two years). It has aired some excellent current affairs programmes and documentaries.

And it is therefore no wonder that rumours of the axe hanging over BBC3 should have attracted thousands of supportive tweets and something of a campaign to save it by several of the stars it has nurtured.

I mean no disrespect to the talent when I point out that they would say that wouldn't they? After all, they may well believe its closure will hit them in their pockets.

But the financial headache facing the BBC's director-general, Lord (Tony) Hall, and his senior executives, has been obvious for many months. They have cut staff, shaved salaries and tightened budgets generally, but what has been inevitable for some time has been the need for a really large saving.

Looking across all of its output, BBC3 was always the most likely target. When he remarked at the Oxford Media Convention last week that "hard decisions" had to be made, he gave a clear indication of his intentions.

The BBC "couldn't stay the same", he said, and would require another £100m a year in the run-up to charter renewal and the settlement of a new licence fee. And BBC3 will surely save about £100m.

"Hard decisions" are just that. If the BBC is to have any hope of sustaining its quality core output then a sacrifice had to be made.

In an ideal world, the BBC - meaning Hall and his colleagues - would love to keep BBC3 on air. It fulfils the corporation's commitment to youth.

However, seen from the wider perspective, it is a marginal channel with a small share of the overall television audience.

To stick with BBC3 would inevitably mean reducing the budgets, and quality, elsewhere. That option was anathema to Hall. He will be portrayed in some quarters as an axeman. Think of him instead as a saviour who had to sever a limb in order to save the corporate body.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/gre...bbc3-tony-hall

This does boil my piss I pay my TV License so that I can watch TV not be a part of one of the UK largest Web Endevours etc axe something else rather than TV Channels after all that's what generates the revenue.

Thanks to akimba

Ashley (6th March 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: BBC3 being Axed

How much is white city headquarters costing to redevelop after the shift up north.

BBC is a joke.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Don't watch it much to be honest but it was the home of some great programs such as gavin and Stacey ( before it got big) and in the flesh ( which was a cracking zombie type drama ).

Thanks
    Karma Level

Can't believe they are binning the best channel.

Why don't they cancel strictly or the voice to save some money.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

This fucked me off too, as it stands I only really watch BBC Three, Channel 4, and E4. Sherlock is the only decent program I can think of that the BBC produces on it's main channels. Perhaps I am the minority.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    This fucked me off too, as it stands I only really watch BBC Three, Channel 4, and E4. Sherlock is the only decent program I can think of that the BBC produces on it's main channels. Perhaps I am the minority.
    Top Gear.. although is not as good as it was I still watch it

Thanks
    Karma Level

The amount of money they are throwing at their web presence and all these gimmicky things on there. Also all the radio stations that no one listens to.

The ycould trim the fat another way in my eyes, TV license is for TV channels not all the other sh!te

Thanks to akimba

littlebilly1 (6th March 2014)  

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

They should have scrapped BBC 4. at least BBC 3 aired some great programs like as Gavin and Stacey, Little Britten, Him & Her, Russell Howard's Good News, Pramface etc...

And they are going to put some of the money they save in to BBC1+1 WTF

Cheapreefer on instagram

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I can't see how the BBC are struggling. The £145 a year we all pay goes on what? FFS.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Consultation will take place and have to be approved first so its not a done deal yet.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well the beeb will no doubt make massive payouts only to re-employ the fuckers the next week!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ss30 View Post
    They should have scrapped BBC 4. at least BBC 3 aired some great programs like as Gavin and Stacey, Little Britten, Him & Her, Russell Howard's Good News, Pramface etc...

And they are going to put some of the money they save in to BBC1+1 WTF
    The whole BBC3 thing was a joke. Yes they showed some great new series... but at the expense of not showing them on the BBC2 (which they used to do). I totally agree with the decision... dump BBC3 and just stick the ground breaking comedies back on BBC2 where they belong!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Approximately 24 millions households in the UK 'most' paying the usual £145 fee
    That is a fucking fortune by anyone's standards.. they can afford it if they better handle finances and trim the fat from more sensible areas...

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm legally licence free as I had enough of the (mostly) tripe programmes the BBC and most other channels come to that are making these days and resented forking out the money for the licence. I watch anything I want to on catch up, Youtube etc. as and when I choose to. Imo, mainstream telly has had it's day. Most broadcast TV these days is repeats and not worth the money, it's become a Taxation tactic with nothing to do with quality of service anymore.

Let them stand on their own two feet commercially like the other channels generally have to do... if you deliver decent content, people will watch, the advertising will pay the way to profitability... if you can't deliver, you go under like all the rest.

Thanks to burner1

macmilm (6th March 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

the bunch of cunts, its one of the best channels on the freebox.
    Family Guy at 11pm followed by American Dad its my bedtime fav watch, plus the real life docs they have are half decent.
    Only in Britain….do we use the word “politics” to describe the process of Government. “Poli” in Latin meaning “many” and “tics” meaning “bloodsucking
    creatures”

3 Thanks given to consoles

Bald Bouncer (7th March 2014),  Mobileman (7th March 2014),  Zoots (6th March 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC3 is a very good channel. It is defiantly the best thing on freeview. It's had some really good shows. It makes sense to make some cuts but to go online only? I don't agree.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Bouché View Post
    It makes sense to make some cuts but to go online only? I don't agree.
    Exactly where in paying my TV license does it say about me wanting a website to watch stuff? TV license for TV channels!
    I might have a different view if I didn't live in a rural area where broadband speeds are not up to scratch and streaming anything is a pain in the arse. :-(

Thanks
    Karma Level

Assuming this happens, my main questions are:

Now that BBC3 HD has finally been released, will BBC3 content be shown in HD on iplayer?

Will things be kept on iplayer for a reasonable amount of time i.e. a couple of months?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by consoles View Post
    the bunch of cunts, its one of the best channels on the freebox.
    Family Guy at 11pm followed by American Dad its my bedtime fav watch, plus the real life docs they have are half decent.
    Yeh and they keep that SC4 and BBC Alba shit going and I can't even fucking understand it.

I feel discriminated against.

How the fuck can they justify saving so much money when they don't start transmitting until seven at night.

Give Scotland and Wales their independence then we save BBC 3 and reclaim the DVLA.

Set up boarder crossings and charge tolls and bring England back to financial prosperity. That would lead to enough money in the coffers to allow free TV liciences
    to all English and loyal Northern Ireland citiziens.

Let them eat cake !
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC3 and BBC4 are good channels. But... As has been said above, they did just move the comedies which were aired on BBC2 to BBC3. BBC4 is the better channel. It shows different programming. Great shows such as The Bridge, The Killing and Borgen. Great programmes on music.

The only good things to watch on BBC1 or BBC2 is the football (occasionally) or an Attenborough documentary.

Maybe they should cancel BBC Breakfast to save some money. It is awful, moronic programming. It is getting ridiculously dumb.