Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Broken iPod hard disc?

I bought a replacement hard disc for the missus 30GB iPod. I bought it off eBay and it was stated as being new.

I have installed a few of these before, with no probs although the hard discs in iPods in general are very hit & miss from what I can see.

Does anyone know if these hard discs are ever actually new, because the hard disc had the sticky stuff on the side of it where the rubber casing sits when it is in the iPod.

So I installed it and everything seems grand, but then after a half hour or so it starts acting up just like any usual fooked iPod. I mailed the seller about it and he says there's nothing wrong with it as he tested it before he sold it.

Seems like a load of crap to me.

Anyone else have any experience with replacement iPod drives off eBay? Any info would be great.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Broken iPod hard disc?

Anyone able to help me lads? Surely someone has bought and replaced the HD in their iPod?!

I'd really appreciate a reply!

Cheers,

M.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

No experience with Ipod drives off ebay but ask yourself this question. If it was new why would he test it before sending it out?

Also how much did he test it as you said it was all fine until 30 mins into it's usage. Maybe the fault didn't show itself when he tested it. If he just plugged it in to see if it worked, that's not testing it in my book.
    I'd file a SNAD complaint on Ebay (significally not as described).

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    No experience with Ipod drives off ebay but ask yourself this question. If it was new why would he test it before sending it out?

Also how much did he test it as you said it was all fine until 30 mins into it's usage. Maybe the fault didn't show itself when he tested it. If he just plugged it in to see if it worked, that's not testing it in my book.
    I'd file a SNAD complaint on Ebay (significally not as described).

Beerman, many thanks for the reply mate! Is the SNAD the best route to go? I bought this HD just under 5 months ago but I only installed it in the past few weeks. It is covered by the seller for 5 months.

This is the snotty answer he gives me

So...

You want me to take back an item that you purchased approx 5 months ago

Which I know is not faulty as I tested it myself prior to despatch

It could be a further fault with you Ipod (motherboard, battery etc)

This cost me approx £6-£7 to send to you. It will cost the same for you to send it back to me.

Upond receipt if it tests fine (which it will) - what then? I would have to refund minus £6-£7 plus my ebay selling fees, listing fees and paypal fees.

My advice would be for you to sell the item on ebay

If you are not happy then please contact ebay or paypal

I am beng very reasonable, this is outside my return policy.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I had no idea 5 months had passed since you bought it. TBH I think I'd tell you to feck off if you bought something off me and wanted to return it 5 months later. I don't think ebay or paypal will be any good to you either as I think you need to notify them within 21 days. May be worth a go though.

Just put it down to a costly piece of experience and always try things out straight away.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    I had no idea 5 months had passed since you bought it. TBH I think I'd tell you to feck off if you bought something off me and wanted to return it 5 months later. I don't think ebay or paypal will be any good to you either as I think you need to notify them within 21 days. May be worth a go though.

Just put it down to a costly piece of experience and always try things out straight away.
    I know! It's not something I'd usually do, but it is covered for five months and if it was new it should still be working 5 months later let alone a few weeks!! I'll keep you posted