Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Whats yours?

From what I have read most of us will have some form of OCD at some point in our lives.

between the age of around 13 to 16 I had a problem with odd numbers. If I entered a room and switched the light on I would switch it off and then on again. That way I had switched the light on two times instead of one time. I used to do loads of other things twice or four times or six or eight. Whatever it was I would always round it up to the next even number. Even when blinking my eyes I would make a point of blinking twice. Must have looked pretty odd to people. This led to excessive blinking for a short period. You sometimes see excessive blinking with someone. Well that's how it started with me but it only lasted for a few weeks thankfully. Got myself out of the habit with everything having to be even numbers by consciously pushing myself to do things only once or an odd number of times.

A small part of this remains though. If I drink a glass of water I refill the glass and drink a second glass of water. I seem to do it out of habit. I don't do it with much else these days. I could stop but haven't really thought about it until now.

I met a few of my cousins in McDonald's the other day and we started talking about OCD because one of my cousins sons has quite a few OCD issues that affect his life. Another cousin of mine who is a very intelligent engineer and big rugby player in his time told me that when he is driving he has to blink as he passes every lamp post along the road. That shocked me because I always thought he was one of the most level headed and intelligent people I know and couldn't imaging him having any form of OCD let alone one affecting him that much .

So, Whats your OCD?

And before Macmilm or Goldie pipe up: NO! It isn't just my family and it is feck all to do with interbreeding. Most people have it to some degree. (">

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Whats yours?

mine would be check the gas or iron about 5 times after using them and i cant buy petrol without rounding it up to nearest 50p or £1

2 Thanks given to Mobileman

BigBird (30th April 2014),  JonEp (1st May 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Only chose items with odd numbers in vending machines

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Mummy's little soldier I Black Belt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

looking at breasts. I can't help myself I'm afraid

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by I Black Belt View Post
    looking at breasts. I can't help myself I'm afraid
    Thats my Religion not OCD

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Mine's with money, if I empty my pockets on a night then the coins have to be stacked from largest to smallest queens head up (I can't leave a messy scatter of coins) and notes have to be all the same way and in value order

Sent From TapaTalk

Thanks to littlebilly1

funkyg (1st May 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Before having a wank in my study, I have to cover all the pictures of the family... s'not right you know
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

2 Thanks given to GTI

cyprus (3rd May 2014),  tips (8th May 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I always make sure my right foot is the last one to make contact with the floor at the bottom of stairs, or the top of stairs. i.e. land on my right foot, not my left. If there are an even number of stairs, I'll start on the left foot to ensure I finish on the right, and with an odd numbers of stairs, I'll start with my right so as to finish on my right. If I get it wrong, I'll miss a stair out to be make sure the final step is with my right foot.

Bilbo.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cleaning the kitchen. Right now I'm living in an accommodation block with a shared kitchen and it drives me nuts when people don't clean up after themselves. They even continue to cook around all the shit they left lying around from pervious days.

Think I've always had this actually

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    "The Internet" is an acronym for "Totally Free"

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Loads of things, like checking doors are locked, I must walk back to my house from my car countless times to check I've locked it, and I like things to be even, for example if I scratch my head I have to do it an even number of times, spoons in my drawer have to face the same way lol plus loads of others.
    And all my daughter's are the same

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Went through the whole even numbers stage, TV volume, amount of coins in my pocket, channel numbers. It got quiet bad, so I just fucking gave my head a wobble and managed to stop. After a few weeks of bad sleeping and being totally unsettled.

Only real one I have now is the notes in my wallet have to be the right way up, and in acceding order in terms of wallet placement. Other than that, don't really have any now.

The Mrs has one for her electrical items, she'll check them 4-5 times each before we leave the house.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Emptying peoples recycle bin on computers. Once got me in to trouble as some idiot (a company director I hasten to add) used it as a 'folder'.

I cannot walk over 3 consecutive joined up grate covers for fear of 'bad luck' - my cousin set me off with that as a child, so I often jump the last one.

Same as ilscuro with the door locking. Most mornings I lock the door, get in the car and then have to get back out to check that I have locked the door.

Nightmare!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Always been concerned with the possibility that one day I could Murder someone.... so I have to set the alarm for 6am every morning to check the news and make sure I haven't
    Obviously I also do the same with the 10 o clock news or I can't sleep a wink... so far so good though

Also I always have a safety pin attached to my left sock.. this is multi purpose... I can attach the left sock to the right sock before putting in the washing machine. This ensures both socks will maintain the correct level of wear and tear to its neighbor sock.. the other good point is if you are out and rip your trousers you have a safety pin to hand at all times ... win win

2 Thanks given to macmilm

GTI (1st May 2014),  tips (8th May 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Bigbrand made me remember another one...
    5 10 and 20 pound notes, if the have any corners folded over it drives me insane, if I draw money out of a cash machine I have to repair any notes before I pocket them.

Barmy I know

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Thanks to ilscuro

BigBrand (1st May 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBird View Post
    And before Macmilm or Goldie pipe up: NO! It isn't just my family and it is feck all to do with interbreeding. Most people have it to some degree. (">
    You mother(sheep) fucker! I was about to reply with something sensible...

In this day and age, the majority of people with OCD are the people who tell you that you have OCD!
    For example we all know someone, lets call him John, who when you have done something twice in the presence of he will turn around and say 'You have fucking OCD you do!'

We all have our little things. I used to only eat biscuits (not soggy) in multiple of 3 but the total had to be an even number. I think it was more me being a greedy bastard than OCD though.
    I have stopped that now, mainly because I don't eat biscuits any more... But I am not sure that some of the little things can always be classed as OCD... There is a line between OCD and clinically insane. For example the ex mother-in-law has to clean the bathroom every single time from top to bottom when someone has left it. That is not OCD, that is a fucking issue that needs dealing with.

From the NHS website:
    Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) is a mental health condition where a person has obsessive thoughts and compulsive behaviour.
    So, just because you have to go back and check the doors are locked or windows closed, that is not OCD but more paranoia.

Another interesting piece from the NHS that explains the difference between OCD and OCPD - most of us will fall into the OCPD category.

Obsessive compulsive personality disorder

A person with an obsessive compulsive personality disorder is anxious about issues that seem out of control or 'messy'. They are preoccupied with orderliness and ways to control their environment and may come across to others as a ‘control freak’.
    Other symptoms include:

• having an excessive interest in lists, timetables and rules
    • being so concerned with completing a task perfectly that they have problems completing it (perfectionism)
    • being a workaholic
    • having very rigid views about issues such as morality, ethics and how a person should behave in daily life
    • hoarding items that seem to have no monetary or sentimental value
    • being unable to delegate tasks to other people
    • disliking spending money, as they think it is always better to save for a ‘rainy day’

This personality disorder differs from obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), a related mental health condition, in several important ways:

• People with OCD are aware their behaviour is abnormal and are anxious about it. Most people with obsessive compulsive personality disorder think their behaviour is perfectly acceptable and have no desire to change it.
    • Some people with OCD are compelled to carry out rituals, such as having to touch every second lamppost as they walk down the street. This is not usually the case with people with obsessive compulsive personality disorder.
    • People with OCD may feel compelled to make lists or organise items in their house but feel anxious about doing so. People with obsessive compulsive personality disorder find relief from anxiety when doing such tasks and may become irritated when prevented from doing so.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks to Goldberg

BigBird (2nd May 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have to empty my bladder within 5 mins of falling asleep, if I don't drop off by then, I have to get up again and take a piss even if its just two drops.
    There is no medical cause (e.g. diabetes), its just a stupid disorder where I can't stand the thought of there being urine in my bladder before I sleep.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    I have to empty my bladder within 5 mins of falling asleep, if I don't drop off by then, I have to get up again and take a piss even if its just two drops.
    There is no medical cause (e.g. diabetes), its just a stupid disorder where I can't stand the thought of there being urine in my bladder before I sleep.
    I do this also, but I put it down to me thinking it will stop having to get up in the middle of the night for a piss.
    Probably came about from when I was a kid and my Mam and Dad would tell me to get back to bed if I was up needing the loo! Cunts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    In a similar thread ... after I have shot me man fat, I have to sit on the shitter until I squeeze even the tiniest drop of piss out.... always been worried a bit of lumpy jizz might get stuck and go rancid if I dont get it all out quick enough

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have CDO. Its like OCD but in the right order.
    I'm the same as the other guys regarding money......notes in my wallet have to be the right way up, queens head facing up, and in value order. And coins have to be stacked in size order if not in a pocket.

Another of mine is when I had a cd collection (they've all been ripped and sold now). They had to be sorted alphabetically by artist, and then all the CDs by artist had to be sub sorted into release order.
    Ooh, ooh, ooh, the funky gibbon.

2 Thanks given to funkyg

BigBird (2nd May 2014),  littlebilly1 (1st May 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

But that is Organised Compulsive Disorder... There is nothing wrong with that!

We were all taught as children and teach our own to be tidy and put things away correctly, so why is it an issue if we all put our magazines in date order, CD's in alphabetical order, houses that I drive past each night in when she was my girlfriend order.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast